Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Quickbooks doesn't read

by oiptoner / March 5, 2014 3:30 AM PST

Many months ago the old 98SE machine I had been using for QuickBooks 5.0 gave up the ghost. I found out that XP will work with Win 98 programs so I resurrected my old XP machine, loaded QB and then used a HDD enclosure to install the hard drive from the old 98SE machine. Now Drive F: I was then able to run QB and access all my QB data files. A little clunky but it worked.

I updated Norton AV today on the XP machine and when I went to use QB it opened not into the normal working screen, but instead it asked if I wanted to use an existing company or set up a new company. I clicked for an existing company and directed the program to drive F: for the data files. I got the following error message:

"This volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that the volume is not corrupted."

I then tried using C: drive, but clicking OK does nothing.

Nothing I try lets me access the old files. Can someone help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quickbooks doesn't read
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quickbooks doesn't read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like it's time for the backup system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 3:33 AM PST

Did you try restoring your backup to some folder on drive C?

It's not as if you don't backup (well some do, but I find accountants to be very good about it.)
Bob

Collapse -
I tried
by oiptoner / March 5, 2014 4:00 AM PST

to go into Drive F: and got

"The disk in Drive F: was not formatted. Do you want to do it now?

message. This was not required when I first set the system up so not sure what to do now.

Collapse -
That means the drive has lost its format or failed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: I tried

At least it gave you time to get the files safe. Now restore those files to some folder on drive C to try again.
Bob

Collapse -
My present question is
by oiptoner / March 5, 2014 4:33 AM PST

do I click "Yes" to formatting. I cannot transfer to Drive C: since I cannot get into F: In fact I tried to copy over way back when, but wasn't able to do it. That is why I ran with F: as the file folder for QB.

Collapse -
DO NOT FORMAT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: My present question is

Try the drive on another PC and if it works, copy that folder to that other PC's C drive or a memory stick.

I can't guess if you failed to backup. It's de rigueur for what we can't lose.

If the other PCs don't work then ask drivesavers.com how much to get the files back.
Bob

Collapse -
The other computer
by oiptoner / March 5, 2014 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: DO NOT FORMAT.

also says I need to format.

Not a big believer in coincidences when it seems to have come at the same time another action was taken, i.e. deleting the old Norton 360 and installing the new version. Then rebooting and bingo QB is not working right. After it has worked fine since the kludge was put together on 4/9/2013.

I can hear the F: HDD making normal HDD sounds so it appears the platter is spinning, but what would cause it to lose its formatting, and can it be reformatted without losing data.?

Collapse -
Re: corrupted hard disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: The other computer

Such happens. And, no, it can't be reformatted without losing its data. So it's time to start the recovery. There are a lot of DIY titles in the 2 top posts in http://forum.cnet.com/storage-forum, but if you really need those data it might be better to pay a data recovery company like drivesavers.com (always recommended by Bob).

Kees

Collapse -
Let's say it's Norton.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2014 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: The other computer

We can always go without that for a test run. It's not as if a virus is waiting for us to uninstall and it jumps out of the shadows.
Bob

Collapse -
May not be my best decision but
by oiptoner / March 6, 2014 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Let's say it's Norton.

I am going to try to do a recovery myself. I have reviewed your posts and tried Pandora which did not work. I downloaded Ubuntu and InfraRecorder, but then found out my old laptop does not have a burner. So this raises some questions: Do I need to download and burn on the old laptop ( XP ) or can I use any machine ( WIN 7 ) to make the CD? Is it OK to use a CD or do I need a Blank DVD? Is there a good site for very explicit directions on how to use these programs in concert to produce the proper CD/DVD? If I copy and burn on a desktop will the results work on a laptop? What questions am I not asking?

I think this is a lost cause, but it can be a learning experience so that's why I made my decision.

Collapse -
Use any machine.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 6, 2014 5:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Step 4
by oiptoner / March 6, 2014 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Use any machine.

Under the 2000/XP/Vista/7 there is a step 4 which says:

Select the Ubuntu CD image file you want to use, then click 'Open'.

I see that there is a short version of Ubuntu (30 MB) which I can download and it looks like it is adequate for my needs. If so, I am still not sure what the image looks like and what specific steps/keystrokes I should take.

What about my desktop vs. laptop question. Is there an issue there? Thanks for clearing up the CD/DVD issue.

Collapse -
Laptop v desktop.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 6, 2014 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Step 4

Use whatever you like but make sure you get the ISO file you need. Use the larger Ubuntu file I'm not sure about the smaller one. You need to burn ths ISO file using special software like the one mentioned or somethong like imgburn free.

The Ubuntu file is an ISO file and cannot be burned straight to disc like a normal file.
Hope this clarifies.

Dafydd.

PS. Link to imgburn. http://www.imgburn.com/

Collapse -
Almost works
by oiptoner / March 12, 2014 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop v desktop.

I have downloaded imgburn and version 13.10-desktop-i386.iso of unbuntu to my Win 7 machine. If I double click on the imgburn icon I get an options page. If I click on "write image file to disk" I am aszked to select a file of which unbuntu is my only choice. If I then click on WRITE I get a message that the image size is greater than the disk size ( 895 mb vs a 702 mb CD). I am then given a choice of over burning or truncating. I tried both and each time I got a message " Failed to send cue sheet. Reason: invalid field in parameter list"

What does this mean and how do I get past it? Also, what should I do re: the wrap or truncate question? Do I need to go out and pick up a recordable DVD? Once I have the recording what do I do with it--my guess is I reset the boot sequence on the XP machine to read the CD ROM first and insert the burnt DVD/CD and restart the machine. Am I correct?

Then what?

Glad you guys are back online. It must have been a killer few days.

Collapse -
Re: almost works
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 13, 2014 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop v desktop.
Collapse -
Answer
No.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 12, 2014 7:43 AM PDT

No need to install Ubuntu. You should have the option to run Ubuntu off the actual dvd. The point of this is to test your hardware.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Forgot link.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / March 12, 2014 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: No.
Collapse -
Don't have DVD
by oiptoner / March 14, 2014 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot link.

I had never heard of Ubuntu before this HDD problem and I do not have a DVD of it. Since it is an OS I had some concerns even downloading it. What does the link you referenced offer me in this situation?

Jeff

Collapse -
What concerns?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2014 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't have DVD

I can't guess what the concerns are yet. There are many other Linux versions you can download and create a DVD for free but WHY DO WE DO THAT? I'm going to answer with a link to the CNET Storage Forum "Lost and Found."

-> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-349670/access-raw-partition-of-lacie-drive-from-windows/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Notice how they were able to get their files out without having to send it to a data recovery house?

Here we are with many posts and it appears you need on site or data recovery support. I am beginning to get the feeling you may have to find such support as the worry of the usual tools are stopping you from doing it yourself.

That's fine and your choice to make but let's be sure you gave it your best shot.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the tough love.
by oiptoner / March 15, 2014 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: What concerns?

I have Ubuntu running as the OS and I have accessed the bad hard drive. Now comes Step 7 in the "Storage Forum" "Lost and Found". Not sure what folders I need to copy or what a partition is. This hard drive has both the QB program installed as well as all the data entered into QB. Do I look for a particular file extension?

Bad HDD also has other programs installed, but I don't need them.

Collapse -
Good to read you got that far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2014 10:04 AM PDT

If you don't know what folders to save, then I won't either. Why? Because folk can put files anywhere they please, I can't guess their choices.

Time to find those that help you locally?
Bob

Collapse -
My concerns proved true
by oiptoner / March 17, 2014 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: What concerns?

Before I picked up the DVD, I downloaded Ubuntu to my WIN 7 machine to copy it at a later time. Unfortunately the latest version affects my IE 8 negatively...very slow when you can access it which isn't often. Others seem to have the same problem. Now I need to uninstall Ubuntu, and while I see many suggestions I am not sure which is best to do it and have no damage to WIN 7, my apps and my files. Any suggestions?

Unbutu was never booted on this machine, just downloaded and then I burned the DVD to copy it.

Collapse -
DVD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2014 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

Yup, it is now too big for a CD.

Thanks for the assist!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.