Samsung forum

General discussion

quick way to switch audio language

by Ionel GARDAIS / February 10, 2009 4:25 AM PST

I own a LE37A568 LCD TV screen running 1.0.15 firmware (not available online, dunno why).
Some channels broadcast mutliple audio tracks.

I can change the audio channel by going into menu->sound->audio language.

Is there a way to change it more quickly (like "p.size" but for audio or assign the "subt." key to another function) ?
The 'tools' key on the remote does not display this option in the menu.

Note : this is not a "DUAL I II" audio broadcast, I'm running HD DVB-T : this is dolby Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: quick way to switch audio language
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: quick way to switch audio language
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 6:50 AM PST

Welcome to the forum.

There is no way to reprogram the remote to do a different function.

Collapse -
quick way to switch audio language
by Ionel GARDAIS / February 10, 2009 3:25 PM PST
In reply to: Change...

Thanks for your reply.
Beside remote control reconfiguration, there are no other means of quickly changing the audio language (through the tools menu ?) ?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2009 5:34 AM PST

lonel GARDAIS,

Unfortunately not that I'm aware of.

Collapse -
The issue is on the TV firmware, not in the remote
by jmonfar / January 17, 2010 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: No.

Forgive me to revive this old thread, but it's about the same issue.

My TV is a LE40B551A6W, and exhibits the same absurd behaviour: there are remote buttons to swap subtitles, switch audio description on/off, and none to swap audio language on digital channels.

And then there is, just left of those two buttons, one labelled 'DUAL' that just works on analog channels swapping the old NICAM dual channels (L+R->L->R). On digital channels, it only shows on screen if the audio channel used is stereo or mono. Information only, no change. How useful for a precious piece of remote real state.

According to the Samsung web FAQ, this behaviour is known by Samsung tech service. The official answer is that poor user has to swap languages or audio channels, on digital, by digging into a 5th or 6th level menu. Pressing more than 10 remote keys. Function not even accessible through the quick 'Tools' remote button. But he'll be able to engage subtitles or audio description with only one remote key.

I guess that few people will be surprised to learn that the lucky subtitle option is very typically used along with swapping the audio language to a non default option. In fact, I bet that the audio change is way more often used than the subtitles, not to mention the audio description. How can be justified to assign remote keys to those two, and not to audio channels?

I can't imagine this being a deliberate design decision. It has to be a 'bug', or more appropriately a big overlook. One already detected by hundreds or thousands of perplexed customers.

As the remote limits itself to send keycodes upon keypresses, this behaviour is produced by the TV firmware, which is programmed to react this way when this key is pressed. This bug could be very easily corrected by changing what the FW does when receiving the 'DUAL' keypress when in digital channel, and make it work like the 'SUBTITLE' key do, showing first the current option selected, and next switching to the next available option on next keypress. That's what 99% of the competition TV sets do, and what users expect.

Even other not so older Samsung TV sets do this as I described, but the key is labelled 'ALT'.

There is not even need to change the already documented behaviour when pressing it on analog channels. That's fine, for whoever uses it. In terms of programming it would be a pretty trivial and very low risk change.

I would ask Samsung techies here if there is any reason we could not hope for this being corrected in a new FW version, not much far away in time.

And if not, for which reason.

Collapse -
5 years on: problem still persists
by palomet / November 16, 2014 6:22 AM PST

your reply is exactly my thought.

if I think that all the crap Digital-analog retrofits had this function, and my new smart tv needs 6-7 keytroke (and doesnt remeber)

Collapse -
You might be better off..
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 16, 2014 6:29 AM PST

making a new post rather than this old thread.

Collapse -
I'd start a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2014 6:45 AM PST

And nod to Logitech Harmony remotes to work such arcane menus.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.