Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Quick Launch toolbar disappears. Cannot get it to come back

by ibramson / July 2, 2004 1:44 AM PDT

For some reason, I can no longer enable my Quick Launch toolbar. I have checked to see if the Quick Launch folder exists in the right place and it does. I can open it and see all the icons that used to appear when the toolbar was enabled.

If I right click on the taskbar and check to enable Quick Launch, it does NOTHING. If I right click on the taskbar, select Toolbars, and try to enable Quick Launch that way, I get an error message "unable to create toolbar". So I am at a loss. I am hoping that someone else has encountered this problem and just maybe found a solution. I sure hope so.

Regards,

Irwin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quick Launch toolbar disappears. Cannot get it to come back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quick Launch toolbar disappears. Cannot get it to come back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Quick Launch toolbar disappears. Cannot get it to come b
by Tufenuf / July 2, 2004 1:55 AM PDT

ibramson, Go to the link below and scroll down to "Quick Launch" where you'll find a link "Can't Create Toolbar Error Message" to download a .vbs fix.
To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done. Or if you want you can download the "Taskbar Repair Tool" which includes this fix and many others.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Hope This Helps,
Tufenuf

Collapse -
by ibramson / July 2, 2004 2:50 AM PDT

Hi,

Thanks for your message. I have already done that. The script reports that the quick launch folder is already there (I knew this already) and will not try to recreate it. So I am back to square 0.

Collapse -
Then the reverse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2004 2:57 AM PDT

delete that folder and try again.

And if you have tried stuff, be sure to tell all so others can find other ideas.

Bob

Collapse -
Doug Knox solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

This happens if the QuickLaunch folder is deleted, and/or the "Application Data" registry path is incorrect. Try http://www.dougknox.com, click 'Windows XP Fixes' and look for the fix "Cannot Create Toolbar For -- error message". Download the VBScript and double-click it. Restart and now, try to enable Quick Launch bar.

Next, if that doesn't work, download Taskbar Repair Plus! util from here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Doug Knox solution.
by ibramson / July 4, 2004 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Doug Knox solution.

Hi,

I think the problem startted when I noticed a "new" toolbar that some malware installed on my machine. I was able to uninstall it from control panel, but after this the problems started. There are some terrible things in the error log that I stumbled upon (I am NOT a PC or WinXP guru) and I will post some of them here. Maybe they will point to something else that I should be doing with administriative tools. It would appear that by getting rid of this crapware, some bad things happen There ought to be a law against this......... Here is part of the snapshot of the system error log. Some mighty mean things here:

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 Applicatio n Error Fault bucket 117847778.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 ccEvtMgr ccEvtMgr: Settings server is not installed.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 ccEvtMgr ccEvtMgr: Failed to load the configuration
settings.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 ccEvtMgr ccEvtMgr: Failed to create the Trust Module.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 Userenv Windows was unable to load the registry. This is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. DETAIL - A required privilege is not held by the client. for C:\Documents and Settings\Troll\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\\UsrCla ss.dat

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 Userenv Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. DETAIL - A required privilege is not held by the client.
Wednesday, June 30, 2004 ccEvtMgr ccEvtMgr: Settings server is not installed.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 ccEvtMgr ccEvtMgr: Failed to load the configuration settings.

Collapse -
Toolbar is not Quicklaunch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2004 2:10 AM PDT

I am easily confused at times when asked one thing and then find we are really talking about another. One thing isn't the other here. BUT more important is that "ccEvtMgr" error.

Its now likely your machine has some parasite issues you need to deal with.

How are you detecting and removing PARASITES which Norton Antivirus doesn't include in it's detections?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Doug Knox solution.
by Cursorcowboy / July 4, 2004 4:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
by mtnsnappy / July 4, 2004 10:50 AM PDT

If this is a "bug" it must be wide spread!!! I was following the "thread" as my Quick launch disapeared as well.
I tried both solutions (vbs) and the downloaded program. Neither helped. I keep getting "can't find path" errors.
Where is the Quick Launch folder supposed to reside normally in XP . In which folder, under what?

I updated Norton this a.m. and ran a scan....no "bugs" do I need more than Norton and a spysweeper?......gulp....

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / July 4, 2004 12:16 PM PDT

mtnsnappy, The location of the Quick Launch folder in Windows XP is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer|Quick Launch

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by mtnsnappy / July 5, 2004 9:24 AM PDT

Thanks tufenuf and Papa E!!! I tried both and no dice. (Am a single account user) I even tried Tuneup Utilities "correct Problems, missing Quick Launch toolbar"........sigh.........
Had to clutter up my desktop with the icons that were on Quick Launch. Until there is a really bad problem causing me to re-install XP I guess this will have to do.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / July 5, 2004 9:42 AM PDT

Check to see whether the task bar is locked. (Right click) If so, unlock before trying anything.
Try also to create another account with Administrator privileges and see whether the Quick Launch bar appears.

Collapse -
Quick Launch Toolbar

1. The article [Q307077] explains that if icons are used on the Quick Launch bar to gain access to shared application data on a network drive, icons may disappear and occurs if the connection to the shared directory is lost.

2. The article [Q321213] states that when using the Windows Classic theme in Windows XP, icons in the notification area on the right side of the taskbar may disappear when selecting a High Contrast scheme in the Color Schemes box on the Appearance tab. The suggested work around is to right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click Lock the Taskbar. Or, change the size of the taskbar, and then restore it.

3. The article [Q324250] states that after restoring the default setting of the window from the High Contrast appearance scheme of the Accessibility Options, the icons on the tool bar may disappear. The suggested work around for this problem is to minimize the window, and then press F5 to refresh the screen.

4. The article [Q307105] explains that if a program shortcut is moved from the Start menu to the Quick Launch Bar or to the desktop, other users may not be able to see the shortcut in the Start menu. Also, if a shortcut is moved from the Quick Launch Bar or the desktop to the Start menu, other users cannot see the shortcut in the Start menu.

Note: This behavior can occur because Quick Launch Bar information is stored separately for each user. Also, dragging the shortcut to or from the Start menu actually moves the icon to a new location, rather than just copying the icon. Therefore the shortcut is removed from the Start menu for all users, and the new shortcut is accessible only for the user who originally moved the program.

5. The article [Q555140] explains that when you open Folder Options, 1) the Single-click to open an item (point to select) is dimmed, 2) the option Show Common tasks in folders may also be grayed out, and 3) you may be unable to click the Toolbars command when you right-click the taskbar if Classic Shell which allows you to remove the Active Desktop and Web view features, is enforced through a policy.

Note: The article [Q29250] provides descriptions of the registry entries for policies that can be applied to the Start menu in WinXP and it may be advantageous to become familiar with its content.

6. Taskbar buttons appears to group unrelated windows together by number and occurs when enabling the feature, "Group similar taskbar buttons". Generally, this problem can be resolved simply by disabling that feature. Start regedit, expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER and in Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer - Advanced, and create a REG_DWORD with the name TaskbarGroupSize and assign a value you want to reach before the windows are clustered, [Q288097].

7. "Quick Launch toolbar" (click to see a screen shot)

a. When the Taskbar is locked, it cannot be moved or resized (Right-click the Taskbar, and then click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark).

b. Resize the toolbar or to move it to another location by pointing to the vertical bar (Gripper) on the left side and dragging it left or right.

Note: To resize the taskbar vertically, move the mouse pointer over the horizontal edge of the Taskbar or Start button until it turns into a line with a double arrow and drag up or down to resize it.

c. Create floating toolbars by dragging an item from the Taskbar to the Desktop.

d. Remove a toolbar from the Taskbar by right-clicking an empty area on the Taskbar, point to Toolbars and then click to remove the check mark from the one wanted.

e. Add Toolbars to the taskbar by right-clicking an empty area on the Taskbar. Point to Toolbar and then click the Toolbar wanted.

(1) The Address bar is basically a Web page link and is opened by double-clicking.

(2) The Links bar provides links to product information on the Web which may be added by dragging them to the toolbar. Open the toolbar by clicking the double chevron (

Collapse -
Quick Launch toolbar disappears... posible solutioon
by Papa Echo / July 4, 2004 1:24 PM PDT

How many accounts do you have ? If you log in with another account, do you still have the problem ? The "
Quick Launch bar" folder can be found in more than one location. What determines the appearance of the desktop, settings, etc depends on what is at the 'Profile' folder. Check out C:\Windows\Profiles\Usernamehere\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Ouick Launch...is it found there ? If not, create one.

Best of Luck !

Collapse -
by germaniris / September 5, 2004 7:25 AM PDT

I read the entire thread on this before continuing with my search on Google. It led me to this link:
http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/20040713.htm. Scroll down to "Visitor Feedback" where it gives instructions on how to change your Sysetm Registry. It worked for me instantaneously! Good luck!

Collapse -
by rameshs / September 6, 2004 11:41 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.