Computer Help forum

General discussion

Quick Launch bar missing during startup

by Lvanett / October 25, 2007 10:16 AM PDT

Hi all,

A few months ago I had to reinstall Windows XP Home after getting a nasty virus (the ntos.exe one). Everything went well and works fine now. The only problem I have is that every time Windows starts, the Quick Launch bar does not appear. I have to manually right-click on the taskbar and select "Quick Launch." I have tried to lock the taskbar, I've checked "Show Quick Launch" in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties...and still, every time Windows starts it's missing. Is there any way I can get the Quick Launch bar to appear without my having to manually make it appear on every startup?

PC SPECS:
Dell Dimension 2400
Windows XP Home (upgraded to SP 2)
80GB hard drive, 128mb RAM

Lynda

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quick Launch bar missing during startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quick Launch bar missing during startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Quick Launch bar missing during startup
by caktus / October 25, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

Try this.

Go to My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings >
[your profile name] > Application Data > Microsoft > Internet Explorer and create a folder named Quick Launch if it does not already exist. The folder can be empty. It will populate as you add items to the Quick Launch toolbar.

Hope this fixes the problem.

Charlie

Collapse -
well
by Lvanett / October 25, 2007 3:56 PM PDT

I checked that location and there already was a Quick Launch folder, which was up-to-date with stuff and included a recent addition to the toolbar (Avant Browswer). I tried copying the folder and renaming it, then renaming the other one, then rebooting but the QL toolbar didn't appear again.

Lynda

Collapse -
clarification
by Lvanett / October 25, 2007 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: well

Just a little clarification, when I renamed the old QL folder I called it "Quick Launch 2" and the new one "Quick Launch". HTH

Collapse -
Re: Quick Launch bar missing during startup
by Tufenuf / October 25, 2007 6:22 PM PDT

Lynda, Go to the link nelow and under "Taskbar" click on "Restore to XP Default" to download a .vbs file fix.

"To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done."

"NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry."

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
:(
by Lvanett / October 25, 2007 9:25 PM PDT

I installed and ran it, but once again the QL bar didn't appear on reboot or startup.

I may have to just get used to manually right-clicking and turning on the QL bar every time Windows starts. LOL

Collapse -
Some indepth prompting:
by Cursorcowboy / October 25, 2007 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: :(

1. You may not be able to create the Quick Launch or the Desktop bar if the "%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" folder is missing (click Start, Run, type ie4uinit.exe, and then press Enter). In addition, register these two files by typing the following commands on the Run line, pressing Enter after each, and then restart your computer:

? regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

? regsrv32 /i browseui.dll

Note: The file "IE4UINIT.EXE" noted in this article will be found in the \system folder for Windows which is placed there when Internet Explorer is installed, and you may gain further information by reading the section titled "Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification and Registration for Windows 95 and Windows 98" in this article.

2. The article [Q307077] explains that if icons are used on the Quick Launch bar to gain access to shared application data on a network drive, icons may disappear and occurs if the connection to the shared directory is lost.

3. The article [Q321213] states that when using the Windows Classic theme in Windows XP, icons in the notification area on the right side of the taskbar may disappear when selecting a High Contrast scheme in the Color Schemes box on the Appearance tab. The suggested work around is to right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click Lock the Taskbar. Or, change the size of the taskbar, and then restore it.

4. The article [Q324250] states that after restoring the default setting of the window from the High Contrast appearance scheme of the Accessibility Options, the icons on the tool bar may disappear. The suggested work around for this problem is to minimize the window, and then press F5 to refresh the screen.

5. The article [Q307105] explains that if a program shortcut is moved from the Start menu to the Quick Launch Bar or to the desktop, other users may not be able to see the shortcut in the Start menu. Also, if a shortcut is moved from the Quick Launch Bar or the desktop to the Start menu, other users cannot see the shortcut in the Start menu.

Note: This behavior can occur because Quick Launch Bar information is stored separately for each user. Also, dragging the shortcut to or from the Start menu actually moves the icon to a new location, rather than just copying the icon. Therefore the shortcut is removed from the Start menu for all users, and the new shortcut is accessible only for the user who originally moved the program.

6. The article [Q555140] explains that when you open Folder Options:

? the Single-click to open an item (point to select) is dimmed

? the option Show Common tasks in folders may also be grayed out

? you may be unable to click the Toolbars command when you right-click the taskbar if Classic Shell which allows you to remove the Active Desktop and Web view features, is enforced through a policy.

Note: The article [Q29250] provides descriptions of the registry entries for policies that can be applied to the Start menu in WinXP and it may be advantageous to become familiar with its content.

7. Taskbar buttons appears to group unrelated windows together by number and occurs when enabling the feature, "Group similar taskbar buttons". Generally, this problem can be resolved simply by disabling that feature. Start regedit, expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER and in Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer - Advanced, and create a REG_DWORD with the name TaskbarGroupSize and assign a value you want to reach before the windows are clustered, [Q288097].

8. "Quick Launch toolbar" (click to see a screen shot)

a. When the Taskbar is locked, it cannot be moved or resized (Right-click the Taskbar, and then click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark).

b. Resize the toolbar or to move it to another location by pointing to the vertical bar (Gripper) on the left side and dragging it left or right.

Note: To resize the taskbar vertically, move the mouse pointer over the horizontal edge of the Taskbar or Start button until it turns into a line with a double arrow and drag up or down to resize it.

c. Create floating toolbars by dragging an item from the Taskbar to the Desktop.

d. Remove a toolbar from the Taskbar by right-clicking an empty area on the Taskbar, point to Toolbars and then click to remove the check mark from the one wanted.

e. Add Toolbars to the taskbar by right-clicking an empty area on the Taskbar. Point to Toolbar and then click the Toolbar wanted.

(1) The Address bar is basically a Web page link and is opened by double-clicking.

(2) The Links bar provides links to product information on the Web which may be added by dragging them to the toolbar. Open the toolbar by clicking the double chevron (

Collapse -
Cursorcowboy
by BrianZachary / October 26, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

Wouldn't it have been easier to just put a link to the page you copied all that from instead of pasting the whole page into a post?

Collapse -
hmmm....well...
by Lvanett / October 26, 2007 3:03 PM PDT

Some of the circumstances mentioned apply to my problem. For example the Windows Classic Theme doesn't apply to me, as I don't have my theme set to it.

I do not have the "IE4UINIT.EXE" file. Not sure if it would be on my system or not, since I have IE version 6.0 at present.

This article --> "Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification and Registration for Windows 95 and Windows 98" is no longer on Microsoft's site.

Lastly, I've thought of DLing the Taskbar Repair Tool Plus but some of the features are disabled, and I'm not 100% certain it would solve the problem. One of the features is "Set Quick Launch as Default for any new user added" but is only available if you pay $5.00 and register the program. I have no problem with paying for it but am hesitant to do so if it wouldn't really help.

Collapse -
clarification again
by Lvanett / October 26, 2007 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: hmmm....well...

Meant to say some of the circumstances listed DON'T apply to my problem.
(I must sound like a jerk since I have to keep correcting myself.)

Collapse -
System File Checker may be of help.
by caktus / October 27, 2007 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: clarification again

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use the sfc /scannow from the Start > Run menu.(NOTE: that there is a space between sfc and /scannow. You may be prompted to insert the XP CD. If it will not run from the Run menu and you don't have the CD, try it from a command prompt, Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Collapse -
(NT) Oh, Yeah! May take about and hour to run.
by caktus / October 27, 2007 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
i had this same exact problem
by bildow / October 15, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

I know this tread is dead but I had the same problem so this post is my good deed for today. The way you fix this is MUCH easier then all these hackers explained above. This is two step process.

Step one: RIGHT Click on your start button at the lower left corner
Then left click "Properties"

Step Two
left lick the "Taskbar" tab at the top.
Check "Show Quick Launch" box then
Check "Lock Task Bar" box

Then have a cup of coffee. =)

Collapse -
Enable Quick Launch on XP workstations in a 2003 domain
by hartington100 / October 25, 2008 11:45 PM PDT

There is no Group Policy to enable QL. By default it seems to be off.
If workstations are locked down so no right click context menus allowed you can enable QL using toggleQL.exe and a logon script.
Download toggleQL.exe from www.simonsen.bz - it seems to be ok.
Copy it into any folder on the server.
Write and save a vbscript such as

WScript.Sleep(1000) 'seems to be needed
strPath = "\\<serverName>\path\toggleQL.exe" 'UNC path to toggleQL on the server
Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
intRun = objShell.Run("cmd.exe /c " & strPath & " 1", 0, True) ' " 1" shows it, " 0" would hide it - note spaces in ""s

Add / edit a Group Policy in e.g.
User Config --> Windows Settings --> Scripts --> logon

This will initially display the QL that exists in Default User in the workstation.
No need to download anything to each workstation unless you want extra icons in QL.

Collapse -
Downloads to enable Quick Launch
by hartington100 / October 26, 2008 12:56 AM PDT

I've added the files you need to my website so you can download them from www.carbootsrus.com/downloads

Collapse -
Speeding up QL script
by hartington100 / October 30, 2008 10:35 PM PDT

In my original script I needed a Sleep time on a user's first logon. It seems to be to enable time for the profile to be established. Until then, QL folder is not available so toggleQL has no effect. However, once user has logged in to that computer, a profile is established and there's no need for the sleep time.
To shorten further logons I needed to find out if the user had previously logged on or not.
So, I made the logon script search for a text file called check.txt in the folder holding the QL folder. If can't find it assume it's 1st logon, so sleep for 10 secs (could be shorter) while profile is established. Then write the text file.
If it finds it then it's not 1st logon, profile is established and no need to sleep.
Unfortunately, introducing this script once many users have already logged on previously does give a 10sec delay for their 1st new logon.

The full script is:
Option Explicit
Dim objShell, objNetwork
Dim intRunError
Dim strPath
Dim objFSO, objFile
Dim strUser, strCheckFile

'find userName
Set objNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
strUser = objNetwork.UserName
'create path to check.txt in userProfile
strCheckFile = "C:\Documents and Settings\" & strUser & "\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\check.txt"

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If objFSO.FileExists (strCheckFile) Then
'profile exists so no need to sleep
Else
'no profile yet
'sleep to give time for profile to be created
WScript.Sleep (10000)
'create check.txt
Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(strCheckFile)
End If

'shared path to toggleQL
strPath = "\\server18\profiles\toggleql.exe"
Set objShell = CreateObject ("Wscript.Shell")
'toggleQL 1=set 0=remove - no error if already set
intRunError = objShell.Run ("cmd.exe /c " & strPath & " 1", 0,True )

I've tested this under a few GPs and it's worked so far!

Collapse -
All ridiculously complex
by Meowing / January 22, 2009 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Speeding up QL script

Next time just create a batchfile;

ql.bat

in which you put:

%path to file%\toggleql.exe 1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.