Windows Legacy OS forum

Questions/Issues after reformatting Win 2000 sp4 on Dell M50

by fairhopeal / August 5, 2011 1:20 PM PDT

I have a Dell Precision M50 Laptop that was having issues, so I decided to try and reformat. I had the backup disk and key for Windows 2000 sp4 that I used, and I also had the disk for the Wireless Card Dell 1350 WLAN which I installed and can now get on the internet. The font is very pixeled and large, and it's slow.

Also, the windows screen is a teal-colored screen with very large font. The internet automatically goes to, but there are no pictures just blue and black font, and I'm not sure what to do next?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions/Issues after reformatting Win 2000 sp4 on Dell M50
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions/Issues after reformatting Win 2000 sp4 on Dell M50
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What about all the drivers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2011 1:34 PM PDT

My short list is:

1. Motherboard drivers.
2. Audio.
3. Video.
4. Lan and wifi.
5. For Dells I look for Dell's QuickSet.

Collapse -
Here is what I've done so far on trying to install drivers
by fairhopeal / August 5, 2011 9:49 PM PDT

1) I have a CD that I bought on ebay a few years back - TECH PROZ Driver Installer / Utility Manger for Dell Precision M50 (DriverForge hardware driver installer).

2) I clicked "install drivers" from the CD, and it did some 'extracting' for about 15 minutes.
When it finishing extracting and got to "installing drivers", I got an error message: "Error in Syssetup.dll Missing entry:UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers". It only had the option to click "OK".
I clicked it, and it then went to "Closing Processes". Then the computer automatically restarted.

4) Based on something I read online, I went into control panel,
system, hardware, device manager and found 4 items with yellow question marks - Other devices, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Device, Video Controller.

5) I clicked on Video Controller just to see what would happen, and it said "(Code 28) driver not installed". So, I followed Wizard and it gave me an option to try to install a driver. It found one that I guess was from the CD that was still in the computer - said it was not digitally signed), but after finishing it gave a yellow exclamation mark and "nVidia Quadro4 500
GoGl" on device manager. When I clicked on it, it said "This device can not start. (Code 10)".

6) I did not know what to do next, and I have a borrowed laptop SO, I thought I would try to get the drivers from dell online. I went to dell and found drivers for the Precision M50 on Windows 2000 - (47 files).
Can I downlad all of these to a memory stick and then how do I reinstall from the memory stick as I did not see that as an option in Wizard. (I looked under Video, and it had the 500 Quadro4 listed. It had a BIOS, Utility, and Driver - do I need/install all 3?)

Collapse -
1. Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 1:30 PM PDT

1. Sorry but I found such to create more issues than they solve. Why not install Windows the old fashioned way?

I ran Windows 2000 for many many years and had to create a cheat sheet and a CD with the drivers for my machine. Those driver finders or such never helped me.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.