Phones forum

General discussion

Question: Blackberry Curve as a Wi-Fi router/hot spot?

by jpl1952 / May 4, 2010 12:56 PM PDT

I currently use a Blackberry Curve i8350 on Sprint/NEXTEL as well as an iPod Touch and iPad (wi-fi only version). I subscribe to a data plan and wanted to know if there is any way to use my Blackberry as a wi-fi hot-spot without paying additional monthly data usage fees.

Could I tether my iPad to my Blackberry via wi-fi, via bluetooth? Even if I had to use some type of cable...? I am also open to purchasing some type of Mi-Fi router if I have to. But again, I'm not interested in an additional data plan.

Thanks in advance for your help, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question: Blackberry Curve as a Wi-Fi router/hot spot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question: Blackberry Curve as a Wi-Fi router/hot spot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2010 10:14 PM PDT

My brother does this over bluetooth to his laptop. This is only to confirm that it has been done without any offer to write tutorials about how. I'm sure there are tutorials out there on the internet about how to do this setup. But the wifi link may be troublesome to the point you may want to just do the tether to the laptops and forget wifi.
Bob

Collapse -
Blackberry curve as hotspot
by jpl1952 / May 8, 2010 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Just one answer.

Thank you for your reply. If I could tether from my iPod touch and my iPad to my Blackberry, that would be great. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any instructions on how to do this.

If anyone out there knows where I could find out how to do this, please advise.

Collapse -
There are guides.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 1:28 PM PDT

But I will not write about it or offer any support since it involves using ICS. ICS is bad for support and mixing in the tether only complicates it further. While an expert user can get it to work the problem is that for the non-expert the issues cause the discussion to become a tar pit as the user demands you explain everything or write a step by step. I'll write that all this is written up out there. But I find some claim it's not. What they really meant is they didn't understand the instructions.
Bob

Collapse -
Tether
by flavere / May 21, 2010 12:50 PM PDT

I bought an app called tether on blackberry.com for $50. You connect via usb cable. I originally had some difficulty with a poor cable. I bought a high quality cable and it works great. I camp out in the country and it even works there. The speed is not as fast as wifi but the convenience is great.

Collapse -
Details on the solution?
by camcrosby / March 23, 2011 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Tether

Just ran across your near year old post. I found the blackberry app you were referring to. But, can you provide more info on the cable? I'm assuming you need a cable that goes from a IPAD/IPhone Dock connection to a micro usb - is that right? Is there such a thing? Once you have the iPad and blackberry connected, how do you get the Ipad to utilize this connection for internet access? What needs to be set up on the iPad settings?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.