Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Question? Avast Free vs Avast Paid

by Larry38 / January 8, 2006 8:00 AM PST

I removed AVG Pro several days ago, due to it's not so good review with the WMF Exploit, and replaced it with Avast 4.6 Free. Does anyone use the Paid version of Avast? Is it worth buying, or is the Free version just as good?
I don't mind paying for a security program that will protect my PC like it should.
Thanks for any input.
Larry

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question? Avast Free vs Avast Paid
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question? Avast Free vs Avast Paid
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Larry, while you are waiting for
by roddy32 / January 8, 2006 8:20 AM PST

someone that uses the program, this page here explains what come with Avast! 4.xxx. The features that only come with the Pro (Paid) version say so in the subtitles.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_professional.html

PS: I was nice and did not call you by your new name. Happy

Collapse -
Larry, while you are still waiting......
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 8, 2006 9:44 AM PST

you got a new name from Roddy ?

Did I miss "something" ? Shocked

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) he he he, I'll let Larry tell you. :)
by roddy32 / January 8, 2006 9:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Hi Marianna,
by Larry38 / January 8, 2006 9:49 AM PST

Go to CoU and check out the Peanuts Quiz.
Larry

Collapse -
One thing for sure
by PudgyOne / January 8, 2006 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Marianna,
Collapse -
Thanks PudgyOne...
by Larry38 / January 8, 2006 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: One thing for sure

That is one of the features that I do miss. I like to do an AV scan once a week, or more often sometimes. It's better for me if I can just set the scan and forget it.

Getting late, time to hit the hay.
Larry

Collapse -
ROFL - nice dress ......
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 8, 2006 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Marianna,

]:)]:)

Collapse -
thanks, Roddy.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 8, 2006 10:36 AM PST

hmmmmm...... Snoopy , I had already found it :^O

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We are twins LOL
by roddy32 / January 8, 2006 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: thanks, Roddy.....
Collapse -
Roddy, You should know by now.....
by Larry38 / January 9, 2006 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) We are twins LOL

You can't get ahead of Marianna. LOL
Larry

Collapse -
No but I probably actually look more
by roddy32 / January 9, 2006 6:02 AM PST

like Snoopy than she does. Happy

Collapse -
Gee Thanks...
by Larry38 / January 8, 2006 10:07 AM PST

I think that Quiz is a little off track. LOL

Anyway I have already read about the differences between Free and Paid.
I was hopeing some one uses the paid version, and could give me their opinion. I just posted it over on Wilders, as I may get more answers over there, on a question like this one. I also noticed alot of people over there use NOD32.
I may not end up with Avast, just checking out options as I hate to change again.
Larry

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good plan Larry.
by roddy32 / January 8, 2006 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: Gee Thanks...
Collapse -
Changed over to Avast! free AV too.
by Harv / January 8, 2006 11:38 AM PST

Larry, take a look here http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html for the differences between the free and the Pro versions. Looks like the free version will fill the bill for most of us regular home users, unless you're a tech geek with more sophisticated needs. Happy

Collapse -
Hi Harv, Thanks..
by Larry38 / January 9, 2006 5:40 AM PST

Nope not a Tech Geek. Just a home user.
From all the reading I've been doing, I think I'll stick with the Avast Free Version for now. Seems to be a good choice for many.
Larry

Collapse -
try avast, you will like it
by chuckburmester / January 12, 2006 9:10 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Harv, Thanks..

I use the free version on 3 computers, 1 win 98 and 2 windows xp. I like it better than any anti-virus I have ever used, including mcafee and norton. With avast being free, I don't know why you would pay for anti-virus. try it, you won't be sorry.

Collapse -
Avast!
by jkresoja / January 13, 2006 12:23 AM PST

Marv,

I'm with Chuck, I have been using Avast for years now. I can't imagine any other antivirus working as well. And free! Why do people use Norton or McAfee?

John

Collapse -
RE: Why do people use Norton or McAfee?
by Donna Buenaventura / January 13, 2006 12:53 AM PST
In reply to: Avast!

Maybe because it's free from their ISP or they got good deal (discount after some rebates).

Maybe because they like Norton or McAfee Wink

IMHO, it does not matter what antivirus program a user will use. What matter is the antivirus program is doing what it should be doing by protecting the system from known and serious threats. It is also great if the antivirus can catch unknown threats (unknown threats means not discovered yet but the behavior of the detected item is similar to the known threats). The unknown threats can be detected at times if the heuristic scanner/engine is good.

Collapse -
I've been using Avast for about a week now .
by Larry38 / January 13, 2006 1:30 AM PST

I really do like it, much better than AVG. I did hate to change, but we need to keep our PCs protected.
The only problem I had was that Avast didn't want to play well with Zone Alarm Free. I cured that problem by changing to Kero, they play well togeather and I like the features of Kero. So now I have Avast, Kero, MSAS, and Ewido Plus all working togeather just fine.
Larry

Collapse -
Re: I've been using Avast for about a week now .
by aliensquirl / January 13, 2006 2:38 AM PST

I wanted to change from AVG also, but I hesitated due to the reported problem between Avast and Zone Alarm. I went ahead and installed Avast anyhow and so far have had no problems with Zone Alarm.

Collapse -
I noticed when I Installed Avast...
by Larry38 / January 13, 2006 3:19 AM PST

They mentioned it my not work well with ZA, and had a fix, but I don't like to disable parts of a security program. So I just installed it. I really didn't have a problem but it slowed my PC down and since I'm using dialup, don't need that.
Also go to search and look for AVG in the files, when you uninstall AVG it does't remove all the files. I did and had several that I could not delete. I'll get them off as soon as I get time.
Larry

Collapse -
Avast! 4 Home Edition - FREE Download & Updates
by muzik060 / January 13, 2006 3:19 AM PST

I totally agree with all of thoughs folks whom replied to this posting. Avast! 4 Home Edition v4.6 is by far the best AntiVirus software I've ever had. I have been using it for a couple of years now on all of my computers (re: 5 total systems, 4 have XP Professional and 1 has Windows 98 SE).

I repair and build computers as a hobby. When ever I work on a computer system, I download and install Avast! 4 Home Edition as one of the first tasks I perform. It has stopped and corrected several virus attacks. It does not hog the system resources like McAfee and Norton do. It's the best AntiVirus software I've seen in a long time.

Collapse -
Avast Home -vs- Avast Pro.
by standeb / January 13, 2006 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Harv, Thanks..

Hi

I am a proverbial newbie. However I uninstalled Norton 2005 and installed Avast Home Edition. It works beautifully and does not suck up the amount of memory that Norton does. You will do good to keep Avast installed. Great little program.

Standeb.

Collapse -
I use Avast 4.8 Pro, malwarebytes paid and comodo firewall
by likemygizmos / July 27, 2009 3:54 AM PDT

All three of them work so great with each other. I love Avast and Malwarebytes havent let a virus through since I got them.

Collapse -
Avast
by jimcat1 / January 12, 2006 10:11 PM PST

I removed all of Norton's a few years ago and have only been using AVast the free version. It is the only one I have come across that will do a boot scan in windows 2000 or xp. Yes, if you need to scan your system a lot, that could be a drawback as you have to do it manually as far as I know. I have not looked into it as AVAST scans in the background all downloads and e-mail via the outlook plug in.

I have not done a manual scan since I did the initial boot scan 2 years ago.. but for this reply I did one this morning.. it says the machine is clean. I do run auto scans of Microsoft's anti spy ware once a week. Clean. So I am happy with Avast for free.

Collapse -
I seldom do virus scans either
by chuckburmester / January 13, 2006 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Avast

I have faith in avast so I only do virus scans every 3 to 4 months. Adware and spyware scans I do daily
I never have had a virus and have cable conection and am on the computer several hours, seven days a week.

Collapse -
Avast home page...
by jgrtmp / January 13, 2006 5:22 AM PST

If you go to Avast's home page you will find the program is one & the same.They stipulate you can't be a bussiness nor an Organization to use the free version.They believe that the wide spread use of their free home version lets them know exactly what they're up against in real time.If you get an infection they're notified.This keeps them right on top of the latest virus bloom.Enjoy the free version!Its good & has caught an embeded virus hidden in my restore files.Neither Norton AV or McAfee had discovered it(examined the date stamps).

Collapse -
Get the Pro version ...
by vince7 / January 13, 2006 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Avast home page...

The free version of Avast is a good product. I started using the Pro version after trying the free one. The money is well spent. My philosophy is to support the creators of great products by purchasing their best applications.

Collapse -
GET THE PRO VERSION DITTO
by CMMSG / January 16, 2006 5:12 AM PST

I agree with Vince7 completely. I bought the Pro version and I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with a bug since !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.