TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Question about LCD 55" vs 37"

by Blazin65 / June 19, 2012 2:23 AM PDT

I have a 37 inch LG 1080p TV in my bedroom. I bought an Insignia LCD 55" 1080p, 120Hz, for the living room.

The picture on the Insignia is great. But I can't believe the amount of shadowing I see when watching a program. If someone just get's up from a chair you can see the shadowing (or whatever you call it). I don't see this type of shadowing on the LG 1080p LCD 37".

So my question is this. Is the shadowing effect more noticable on a larger TV? If not, than this must be a poor TV and I will have to return it and buy something better.

Any comments appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about LCD 55" vs 37"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about LCD 55" vs 37"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem of type
by Re_Sword / June 19, 2012 9:00 AM PDT

Hi Blazin65,
I think it is a problem of TV type rather than a problem of size
A trusted well-known TV manufacturer (Sony,Samsung, Panasonic, LG.. etc) will never make a bigger TV unless it has the same quality of ordinary sizes, or even better.
And of course, i have witness many big TVs that lack the efficiency for favor of size, and you can bit that those TVs are not from above mentioned corporations.

Wanna a supreme big TV? LG is a very good one, but i always hear that Panasonic and Samsung TVs are better regarding non-3D TVs
(if you want a 3D TV, LG is an excellent choice)
And LCD & LCD LED TVs are not the only choices, Panasonic plasma TVs always get high recommendations.. they provide high visual quality with 600Hz and high colour saturation & depth, even better than many LCD TVs from other famous manufacturers (but this on expense of TV expectant life and energy consumption)

This is my non-professional opinion.. I am currently searching for a resonable sized 3D TV, so the recommendations i have just typed was collected or given for me from here and there.
So you should wait for an expert opinion.. mean while determine your price limit, search Samsung, Panasonic, Sony , LG websites for a good TV that meets your limit.. write down models of your concern and compare between them technically, or better ask the help of someone that tried them... that what i have done.

Hope that helped & good luck Happy

Collapse -
Let me sum it up for you
by Pepe7 / June 19, 2012 11:03 AM PDT

Insignia is crap, regardless of what anyone comes into this thread and says. Buy a brand with good PQ and proper technical support and you will be a more satisfied viewer. Do a simple side by side comparison and it's painfully easy to see the difference.

Collapse -
Thanks for the Comments
by Blazin65 / June 20, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

I'm going to use my 30 days and then I'm probably going to be changing to a Samsung Plasma with more bells and whistles. I'll be more educated this time around. But also, like I said, need to come up with @ $400 more.

Collapse -
by pinkzroxor / June 20, 2012 11:16 AM PDT

Before you return it, make sure you take some time to think about what made you buy that Insignia.. You should've known not to mess with those in the first place. Didn't your LG TV in your bedroom tell you that? Lol well, at least your lesson was learned right?

Oh and if you're going for a plasma, get a Panasonic, not Samsung. Samsung still haven't resolved that screen uniformity issue and the problem with the capacitors.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: introspect

We've seen bad caps in too many makes to say it's any one maker's issue.

What I'm concerned about is that the FTC usually gets involved and this time, nothing.

Collapse -
I kindly disagree
by Pepe7 / June 20, 2012 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: BAD CAPS

Right now, Panny's winning that particular race. Speak with someone who's closer to the repair chain if you want more specific numbers. Obviously you don't have to take my work for it, but the dreaded 'bad caps' is a lot less likely to happen if you stick with Panny. Nothing's 100% reliable, of course.

Collapse -
On what point?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I kindly disagree

I didn't name names. I wanted to share that I'm seeing BAD CAPS on all makes. and other posts find bad panny's but all makes do have failures. It's part of the game.

My point is that the BAD CAPS issue is not just one maker. Nothing more.
My second point is that these parts are in short "counterfeit" and the FTC didn't seem to wince.

Collapse -
Your statement didn't help
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2012 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: On what point?

What you should have said was that buying a name brand with proper technical support and overall better build quality makes more sense than a disposable HDTV from Wally World. Bad Caps is a side conversation, amigo.

Collapse -
And we know that the brand still doesn't matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 2:27 AM PDT

Case in point?;msg5325477

And plenty more like it.

The lesson is pretty simple. All makers have issues. The moment you tout one as better or doesn't have such an issue, you will find the exception.

Let me make a new point. BUILD QUALITY means nothing if the suppliers give you counterfeit components.

Collapse -
Hey Bob
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

We already know you are a 'bad caps' evangelist. There's no mystery there.

If you actually take time to re-read some of my posts on encouraging consumers to choose supported brands vs cheap house brand HDTVs it's because the PQ is better, and less likely to fail. Nowhere do I exclude the possibility entirely. "There's Plenty more like it" paints too broad a brush stroke and doesn't give credit to Samsung & Panasonic for improvement in quality of late.

If you take the time to add up which brands more more reliable based on repair records, Insignia & Dynex wont' be at the top of that list, let alone for PQ.

We aren't throwing out the idea that bad caps aren't out there in the marketplace either.

Collapse -
Can I write more about BAD CAPS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey Bob

It's more than evangelism, it's the continuing sad stories and finding them all over.

Nod about Insignia, Dynex and that warehouse of "Westinghouse", Polaroid and other names that used to carry some cred.

--> How about this idea? Maybe folk should dismiss the junk names and don't overspend on such things?

Skip the "Smart TV" and get a great display that doesn't cost as much.

PS. And yes, I can ding LG on their Smart TV bugs as well as the others. They have a lot of work ahead of them.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2012 4:26 AM PDT

I agree a huge problem is envy- the neighbors have a big HDTV so you need one too. Don't bother researching it, just head to Wally World for the latest 'midnight sale' (ROTFL) (!)

Collapse -
by samkh / June 21, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

is not a great brand but that is not the problem. Your 'shadowing' is reflection off the glossy glass surface. You either have to control the lighting in the room or else get a TV with matte glass surface. Your LG probably has matte. Shop around and you will see.

Collapse -
We would probably need more clarification by the OP
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2012 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Insignia

To determine precisely what he/she's noticing in this case it would be helpful, I think.

I partially disagree that the Insignia brand isn't part of the problem in this situation. Even with light control and a proper matte screen that PQ would ultimately still pale to equivalent offerings from Sony, Panny, Sammy or LG.

Collapse -
Looks like I got a good discussion going....OP
by Blazin65 / June 22, 2012 1:48 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Just to be clear, I did buy the Insignia based on the salesperson's pitch and liking what I saw in the store (fully knowing it might not be good enough). But trust me I'm a smart shopper. It is nothing for me to put it back in the box and take it back. I'm very close to the store and I've returned more things than you can imagine.

Shadowing might not be the right word. I'm talking about when someone get's up out of a chair quickly, you still see their body jaggedly after they get up. This mainly happens on new programs and shows that are in great high definition. Maybe I just have really good eyes. And lighting should not be an issue, this room is almost blacked out thanks to my handy work.

I'm still returning the TV. It's not just the picture but the sound also. And I've also decided to downsize and get a 50-51".

I know that TVs don't have great sound on their own. But I at least won't the sound to be OK if I just intend to watch TV for 30 minutes. I don't want to have to turn on the sound system every single time. The set I'm trying to replace is a Sony Rear Projection 1080i (going in the bedroom). The sound on the Sony is good enough on it's own. I guess I may not get than anymore.

I'm not sure what I will end up with.

Collapse -
Sounds kind of like motion lag to me
by Pepe7 / June 22, 2012 6:13 AM PDT

Performance wise, yes, the non-name brands tend to suffer from motion lag more than name brands, but it can really vary, especially with the different sources involved.

If your room is blacked out, then definitely consider a 50" plasma too, since price/performance that's definitely a bit of a sweet spot right now in the marketplace. Your motion lag issues won't likely be an issue at least not from the plasma technology. What's happening with your cable or sat feed is something different entirely.

FWIW, I've yet to meet a newer HDTV that met my needs for audio quality, although I have tested larger HDTVs that offer *slightly* better sound than the last couple year's versions. YMMV. I always take the extra 2 seconds to fire up the AV receiver for this reason.

Collapse -
Post processing is sometimes busted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

Ask how to turn that off.

Collapse -
Update from OP
by Blazin65 / July 14, 2012 7:00 AM PDT

OK everyone, I'm reporting back on my TV purchase for anyone who would like to know what I ended up with, and also for anyone else that is currently debating their next TV.

I'm on my 4th and final TV. I went from Insignia 55" LCD, then to Samsung 51" Plasma, then to the Vizio 55 Inch LED Smart TV.

My final TV is the LG 50" Plasma.

Here are the reasons:

1. Great Picture
2. Great Remote and easy options (and a big remote that is easy to work with)
3. Big enough for my room and my viewing needs
4. Good enough audio without turning on the sound system every single time
5. I don't need a smart TV since I have WDLive
6. Reasonably priced
7. Great Picture (again)

Gotta Run, ...........

Collapse -
*Which* LG model?
by Pepe7 / July 14, 2012 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Update from OP

Knowing that might help others looking around this forum in the future.

Collapse -
by Blazin65 / July 15, 2012 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: *Which* LG model?

Hope this is helpful.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.