Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Question about iTunes- library disappeared

by slmu2991 / December 30, 2008 10:41 AM PST

I recently got a new computer, so I had to transfer my entire iTunes library from my old computer to the new one (both are Windows, new one is a Sony VAIO NS-series with Windows Vista). I used my iPod as a disk and saved my entire library on it and transferred everything manually. Both versions of iTunes on each computer are the same (the newest...version 8). After getting my library onto my new computer, I wanted to free up all the space it took up in disk use, so I copied & pasted it from my iPod "disk" into a new folder on my computer so I would have it as a backup and still be able to free the space...everything in this folder is the same as in my "iTunes" folder on my computer which is used for the library. I did this a few days ago, and until today it worked fine, but when I tried opening iTunes today (after my computer had been off for a couple of days) there was absolutely nothing in my library. I went to "Add folder to library" and clicked on my iTunes folder (to which I just consolidated my entire library), and it uploaded everything back into iTunes and could locate all the files & play the songs perfectly fine.

But still now when I close out of iTunes for even a couple of minutes or restart my computer, when I open it back up there is again nothing in my library. As I said, I even consolidated my library so everything should have been saved to it and my iTunes folder.

Anyone have any idea why it is not saving my library to iTunes (so that when I open it all of my songs will actually be there) or have any suggestions/experience with fixing the problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about iTunes- library disappeared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about iTunes- library disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iTunes library
by BeatleMegaFan / December 30, 2008 11:38 AM PST

1. You got a new laptop and transferred your iTunes library to it from your old PC. Got that.
2. In order to do the aforementioned task, you manually copied your library onto your iPod. From there, you copied the library to the VAIO.

However, I'd like to clarify a few things. For starters, it sounds like you want to sync the iPod with the original PC and not your new Sony. When you finished copying everything to the Sony, did you use iTunes to import or add the files to the new library? Are you sure all of the files currently stored in the iTunes Music folder somewhere on your computer? You said it should have copied them there, but you may want to check that out. Once you verify where the actual files are, you should venture to the iTunes preferences. Open the preferences and click on the Advanced tab. Listed here will be the iTunes Music folder location as well as two check boxes related to automatic file organization and the copying of files to the music folder. I think you will want to have both of those checked, although I believe they are already by default. I see no reason why your library should keep disappearing on you. Should work by now. If all else fails, you could try reinstalling iTunes, which has solved some syncing problems for me in the past. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Collapse -
by slmu2991 / December 30, 2008 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: iTunes library

Once I transferred the library to the VAIO, I synced my iPod with that- not the old PC. I did use iTunes to add the files to the new library, and all of the files are stored in the iTunes Music folder (the folder lists artist names, and when I click on those it lists their albums, and when i click on those it lists their songs...just like it should).

Everything is OK with the preferences in iTunes, the folder location is correct and both boxes are checked. I also have already tried reinstalling iTunes, and while my library stayed there after a restart it disappeared after closing & reopening iTunes.

Thank you for your input!

Collapse -
something I just realized...
by slmu2991 / December 30, 2008 12:23 PM PST

I just realized something, which I'm not sure will be of help to anybody...but it seems like my iTunes completely resets itself when I close out of it. I always set my iTunes library so it is in "list" format; not the seeting where you can see the album covers (the default setting). After closing & reopening it, it's almost like I've never opened it's on the default view and none of my music/videos/movies/etc. are there.

Don't know if that helps.

Collapse -
by megaaanmwahh / July 10, 2009 8:27 AM PDT

I have the same exact problem. I switched computers when i got a new laptop and transferred the music over via flash drive. I have a Sony VAIO. My iTunes library is missing. I have all the files saved so its not like the music itself is gone, but every time i exit out of iTunes, the library is set back to its default mode. Help me please! This is so annoying/frustrating!

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: :[

The easiest way to move your music from one machine to another is over a network.
In the absence of a network, copy the old iTunes library onto a DVD and copy it onto your new computer, where it will replace the iTunes library that was created the first time you fired up iTunes on the new machine.
Things will go easier if you consolidate your library before burning to a DVD.
Of course, a flash drive of a suitable size will do just as well.

Once you have moved it over, you may have to point iTunes to the new library, but you should only have to do that once.

Collapse -
by slmu2991 / December 30, 2008 1:34 PM PST

Okay so I think I might have fixed it.
Turns out my iTunes folder wasn't..."right"...because all of my music was in the iTunes folder itself, but then it was ALSO in the iTunes Music folder...which seemed to have confused iTunes. I think I have it fixed now, all of the songs are only in the iTunes Music folder. But I'll update if in a few days the same thing happens and everything is gone. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it's working for you
by BeatleMegaFan / December 31, 2008 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: fixed?
Collapse -
connected iPod a few days ago
by slmu2991 / January 13, 2009 4:41 AM PST

Okay, so after I posted this question I didn't try connecting my iPod for a while..thinking everything would be fine when I did. And it was, until today (3-4 days after I connected it). Today I go to open iTunes, and again my entire library is gone. Now I'm sure the folder location is correct because I fixed it the first time this happened, which I thought solved the problem.

Is there some kind of option in my iPod preferences I'm not thinking of that might have something to do with this?

Collapse -
Me too - also on a VAIO
by esp24 / January 13, 2009 7:44 PM PST

Hi there. I have the exact same problem. I transferred all of my music to my new Sony VAIO FW and installed Itunes. I imported all of my content to Itunes - but the music library keeps disappearing. However the problem is not consequent - I had a few days where I opened and closed Itunes, syncronised my iphone and my nano - then suddenly... everything gone.

It couldn?t be a VAIO issue could it?

Collapse -
It could be,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 13, 2009 10:01 PM PST

why not post this question in the Windows forums.

This is obviously not a Mac problem.

Collapse -
Found a fix
by esp24 / January 13, 2009 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: It could be,
Collapse -
Good Job,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: Found a fix

a neat piece of research.

No problem about the wrong place, just thought you would get a better response in the windows forums.

Collapse -
by slmu2991 / January 14, 2009 5:14 AM PST

I posted it in the Mac Software forum because iTunes is, well...Mac software.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: well

I pointed it out because iTunes is, well...APPLE software.

Your version of iTunes does not run on my Mac.

Note that the solution was found in the iTunes for Windows forum at Apple.

After all, I would not expect much of a response asking questions about Office for Mac in the Windows forums here.

Collapse -
ah, my bad.
by slmu2991 / January 15, 2009 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Well.

Apple, Mac...I sometimes get confused.
Thanks for the clarification Happy

Collapse -
It's all in jest.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: ah, my bad.

but there is a difference.

Collapse -
itunes library keep disappearing
by pacdonis / October 25, 2009 10:11 PM PDT

yes, your absolutely right, its a vaio issue, i could not find the right answer also. i've read lots of web info and figure out that most of the problem cause by vaio new generation. i dont have that problem on my vaio xp, but when i bought a new vaio vista, everything became a mess. i also need a help

Collapse -
(NT) Contact Sony with this issue
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2009 2:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
by afiolmahon / January 29, 2010 10:48 AM PST

im on a vaio and i have the exact same model really wierd

Collapse -
Not weird
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Vaio
Collapse -
problem solved with itunes and sony vaio
by Simma1978 / September 24, 2009 7:09 PM PDT

i had the same problem with my laptop and itunes and it occurred to me after reading this thread that it may be a problem with my laptop as i too have a sony vaio NS series. so i went onto the sony vaio live chat support site, explained my problem and the guy sent me a link for a fix. i have since upgraded to itunes 9 and my library is still there. it even created the folder 'previous itunes library' and the associated files when you upgrade which it wasn't doing before. so so far so good! hope this helps all you other frustrated people out there! good luck!

Collapse -
link in above reply is incorrect....try this one:
by Simma1978 / September 24, 2009 7:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
Same Issue
by sweetdisa / October 23, 2009 1:57 AM PDT

I have the exact same issue with my Viao too. I have spent up to 4 hours at a time cleaning up and transferring my music into the iTunes 8 library only to have it erased out of there the next time I load iTunes or reboot. The music is still in the folder labeled iTunes but the program won't show it unless I manually transfer the music. I feel your pain and look forward to read what solutions, if any, are out there. iTunes help desk isn't worth the time nor effort. Not even sure why they pay those people... They don't listen or answer the question you ask them. Instead they answered a problem that I don't have... lol...

Collapse -
This appears to be a Sony Viao issue,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 23, 2009 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

check out the link just above your post, the one from simma1978

Alternatively, upgrade to the latest iTunes.

Collapse -
itunes and sony vaio laptops
by Simma1978 / October 26, 2009 5:41 AM PDT

upgrading to the latest version of itunes doesn't work. believe me, i tried it! since sony gave me the fix i have not had any problems and my itunes library is still there. definitely recommend contacting sony. it must be a well known problem with sony vaios as the guy who helped me knew exactly what to do and sent me the link to the fix within a few minutes!

Collapse -
itunes library keep disappearing
by pacdonis / October 26, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

vaio laptop specially VGN-ns model commonly encounter this problem, but dont worry, simply few steps and you can easily solve it. go to task manager, then services/ services, then look for vaio folder conten watcher, from automatic, change it to manual. this is 100% sure and only solution for your problem.

Collapse -
by afiolmahon / January 29, 2010 10:50 AM PST

mine is also a vgn-ns

Collapse -
Instructions on how to fix it are in the thread
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: vaio

Just read through

Collapse -
Solution to Itunes Library disappearing
by Roadmarine / November 23, 2009 8:59 PM PST
Collapse -
I Think I Figured it Out!!!
by subtlenetwork / April 15, 2010 12:08 AM PDT

On my PC this is how I fixed it....

When I went to the location of my Library file I noticed that the main library file was very small. Just a few KB in size. There was also another file named "I Tunes Library" and I noticed that this file was large. This file was an XML file though and opened in safari not Itunes when i clicked on it.

I did some research here
and found that there are two types of library files...

Then I just went to files/import playlist and selected the XML file.

It restored all of my songs, podcasts and graphics but I needed to re sync my ipod which was a pain...

In my case i think this was caused by the fact that my music folder is located on an external hard drive. I had changed a couple of the usb plugs around and when i turned on my computer the letter name (like C: D:... etc...) of my external drive had changed... I don't know if thats what always happens... but I think it's what happened to me.

My music folder was probably temporarily set back to the default or something causing Itunes to think it was a fresh install (or something)... Anyway.. let me know if this helps...

Jarrod Wright
Clearwater Marketing Services

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.