Computer Newbies

General discussion

Put Program desktop icon back into start menu

by Ray Harinec / April 27, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

I meant to make a shortcut to my Coffee Cup FTP program, but simply dragged it to the desktop. I only want a shortcut on the desktop. Made that now I want the Program back into the start menu.

Newbie mistake by an old newbie. LOL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Put Program desktop icon back into start menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Put Program desktop icon back into start menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
right click on the desktop icon
by jconner / April 27, 2007 3:37 AM PDT

select properties
select find target (which is where the real application lives)

right click on the program and either create a shortcut and then drag it to the start menu, or choose send to desk top as a shortcut and then drag the original back to the start menu.

You will then have both. There are other ways to do this, but this will work.

Collapse -
EASIEST WAY
by Homeimps / June 1, 2015 5:26 AM PDT

To move an icon from either the Desktop or Quick Launch, just drag it into the Windows Icon (at bottom left) and it will appear on the Start Menu. There ya go...

Collapse -
(NT) 8 long years he's waited for that answer
by James Denison / June 1, 2015 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: EASIEST WAY
Collapse -
I Believe Ray (The OP) Is No Longer With Us
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 1, 2015 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: EASIEST WAY

I believe he passed on to computer heaven some time ago. And since he frequently posted about Windows 98, I wonder whether the suggestion works for that OS? (Especially since there wasn't a "Windows icon" in the start button location, I believe.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
shortcut
by biggeo65 / April 27, 2007 5:48 PM PDT

You just drag the shortcut from start menu to your desktop. The easiest way to put back sortcut to start menu is the follow:
a) RIGHT CLICK with your mouse on start menu and select explore.
find the file of the program you want in start menu,
b) right click on desktop shortcut and choose copy then go back to explorer right click into explorer and select paste.

That's it.

Collapse -
I Do It This Way..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2007 3:19 AM PDT

Ray,

You didn't mention which operating system you're using, but on Windows XP, RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore". ON the left side of the screen, under C\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Start Menu\, then click once directly on the "Programs" folder to display your personal Start Menu listings. Now, simply drag the shortcut from the desktop to the right window..

You should now be able to check the normal Start Menu for the shortcut.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanx all, After Grif told where the
by Ray Harinec / April 28, 2007 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: I Do It This Way..

start menu items are stored it was rather easy. LOL

Collapse -
Put Program desktop icon back into start menu
by tfb73 / May 26, 2010 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I Do It This Way..

I had the same problem. Thank you so much for your answer. I contacted a few knowledgeable PC personnel and they were not able to help me. I followed your instructions and now my problem is solved. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

Collapse -
Transferring desktop icons into start menu
by piusx / March 22, 2010 8:59 PM PDT

I want to put back desktop icon into start menu.
How do I do this?

Collapse -
Follow The Instructions In This Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2010 1:03 AM PDT

Of course, you told us NOTHING about your computer such as operating system, or the EXACT icon you're trying to place in the start menu, but if the desktop icon is a "shortcut" icon (the type that contains the little hooking arrow at the bottom of the icon), simply follow the instructions further up in this thread in the "I Do It this Way" post.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.