Phones forum

General discussion

Purchasing a Verizon phone without getting a 2 year contract

by dovly / May 14, 2007 1:17 AM PDT

My two year verizon contract terminates in May, and I don't want to lock into another two year contract. How can I get around locking into contracts with this company?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchasing a Verizon phone without getting a 2 year contract
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchasing a Verizon phone without getting a 2 year contract
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you plan to keep your current phone?

If you plan to keep your current Verizon phone, that isn't a problem. Once your contract expires, you'll just go month-to-month.

Collapse -
Do you plan to keep your current phone?
by dovly / May 14, 2007 10:56 AM PDT

Thank you. I was not planning to keep my phone, but I think I will keep it based on the information that I have been provided with. Have a great day!!

Collapse -
Buy at Retail
by Caleb328 / May 14, 2007 7:29 AM PDT

just go up to the store and ask to buy the phone at full retail price. Prices should be around $179.99-$400 at the most

Collapse -
Buy at Retail
by dovly / May 14, 2007 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Buy at Retail

Thanks for the information ,it was appreciated

Collapse -
Your question is very vague....
by UMCP / May 14, 2007 8:44 AM PDT

U need to rephrase your question...
Are you asking if you can get a new phone without getting 2 years contract? If so, then answer is yes. You can just buy it with a full price from around 150 to 400 dollars. (Depends on which phone)

OR

Are you asking if you can get a new phone with discount price without getting 2 years contract?

If so, then you are crazy. Because there is no way in hell you can get a phone for free or less than 100 dollars without renewing your contract. This is America and here, nothing is free.

You are just trying to get a new phone and do not want to sign up for contract... Well, how does that fair to verizon?
Think about urself in their shoes.. sigh.

Collapse -
Vague question...
by vt53040 / May 15, 2007 5:19 AM PDT

I don't think he was trying to get something for nothing.

I like VW, but I don't want another 2 year deal when mine's up in January 08 either. You can get discounted pricing online when you are about halfway into your contract term. I did. I got a $50 discount at VW online for my new LG VX8600 back in 11/06 when it first came out. I did not have to re-up my contract. The only stipulation is, I am unable to purchase another phone online (retail or discounted), for 12 months from the time I purchased w/a discount online for my cell #. If you have multiple lines on your plan, you can still purchase a new phone online under a different number on your plan. Or,still go to a store and buy at full retail.

Collapse -
You could also...
by myth90045 / May 15, 2007 8:01 AM PDT

I think you could also, add a 2nd line to your existing account and get the phone for the discounted rate. I think you can do it. I know I did it with Cingular..just something to think about...

Collapse -
Contract needed?
by demastcs / May 15, 2007 8:09 AM PDT

I don't think you have to sign a contract for service. I received service for months after my two year contract expired with Sprint. I had to call them to cancel my plan when I switched to a new provider. It may be different with Verizon and my example is from two years ago with Sprint.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.