Phones forum

General discussion

Purchasing a Phone without Service Contract??

by eimeria / October 20, 2005 11:27 AM PDT

I currently have service from Cingular. My current phone has stopped working reliably (only a couple of keys on the keypad work). My phone is over a year old, so it's not covered under warranty. I'm not "allowed" to upgrade my phone for over 8 months. They are willing to let me upgrade, at a significant cost of course. They quote a price of about $270 for one of their lower grade phones plus an additional two year contract commitment.

I'd like to buy a phone without a service contract that I can then hook up to my cingular account. What do I need to look for in a phone? Can anyone recommend someplace to buy a phone without a service contract attached?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchasing a Phone without Service Contract??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchasing a Phone without Service Contract??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yea
by hh / October 20, 2005 11:42 AM PDT

Either go to a store and buy an "unlocked" quad band GSM phone or a tri-band (850/1800/1900 MHz) phone. It has to have the 850 band to work properly on cingular's network.
You can also buy it on eBay. You can buy a used unlocked GSM phone for under $50.
Most independent cell phone stores carry unlocked phones.
Why would you pay $270 + a 2 year contract? Ridiculous!

Collapse -
Agreed
by sawaan / October 20, 2005 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Yea

Use Froogle to look for an unlocked phone and just swap your sim.

Collapse -
Go to TigerDirect.com
by rayvatrap / September 18, 2006 12:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
any phone?
by vansjen / February 28, 2010 2:08 AM PST

If I have a cell phone under Verizon and am still under my contract... I understand what you are saying about buying an unlocked phone but can I buy any phone and have it activated/switched? Or does it have to be a compatible phone according to Verizon? Once I bought a phone on ebay when I was with another carrier and it would not work. I had to send it back.

Collapse -
phone
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 28, 2010 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: any phone?

When dealing w/ CDMA carriers (such as Sprint or Verizon) you do not have the option to purchase unlocked devices to use on their network. You are limited to phones specifically sold by the carrier and they do not allow unbranded devices to be activated. Only GSM carriers (T-mobile or At&t) allow unlocked devices to be activated and used (assuming the proper network frequencies).

Collapse -
Unlocked Phone May not save you money
by m3harri / October 20, 2005 2:03 PM PDT

I have a simular issue.
I am considering moving to a GSM carrier and have some concerns. I recently acquired a Palm Tungsten W on Ebay and went to a Cingular store to activate it. The phone had been on AT&T (acquired by Cingular). The clerk told me that since I did not buy the phone from Cingular that the UNLOCKED phone would always be charged as roaming. This made no sense to me.
A Cingular owns AT&T now so what is the issue
B What difference does it make where the phone came from?
I can not fathom the legality of this. The policy is clearly consumer hostile as it appears that they are forcing you to buy equipment from them or pay for it one way or another. It appears to me to be the equivalent of be forced into paying more for gas because you did not buy your car from X company.
Please advise

Collapse -
It is BS
by hh / October 21, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

If you already have a SIM card, like the original poster says that he has one, you just move it to an unlocked phone, thats it.
If a clerk at Cingular told you what you claim he did, he should be reported to his superior for lying.
You can get a plan from Cingular without having to buy your phone from them, you will have the same plan as anyone else.
They are using scare tactics so they sell you phones as well. They are simply LYING.

Collapse -
The would sell plan. They just would charge for roaming
by m3harri / October 21, 2005 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: It is BS

Like I said they would sell me a plan. They would just charge for roaming. I thought this was odd as Cingular seams to be proud of its NO ROAMING service. I took the sim from a couple of Cigular pals and when the phone log in it showed that the network status was roaming. Seriously. I had thought that the clerk was apply pressure my self, in fact he was very high pressure as he had the deal all but locked in on the system until I refused to play ball. The fact is the phone told me that it was roaming.
I agree it the whole situation is BS.
Fortunately all this monkey-ing around has shown me that this Tungsten W is not the phone for me.

PS I have found out that this store is not owned by Cigular it is a franchise.

Collapse -
Follow up
by m3harri / October 22, 2005 12:11 PM PDT

I just got off the phone with Cingular and the rep told me that Yes if I used an unlocked phone not original Cigular I would always be considered roaming.
What I crock.

Collapse -
No
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 6, 2007 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Follow up

If they told you that using an unlocked phone would be considered roaming and billed for roaming than they are either ignorant or just making it up. I have been using an unlocked handset on Cingular for over a year without any problems or wacky extra fees.

Collapse -
Follow up 2
by m3harri / October 22, 2005 12:13 PM PDT

Clearly this is a crock. How can this be legal?
What can be done?
Ideas..

Collapse -
I have an UN-locked Nokia with Cingular works fine
by jbc94523 / October 22, 2005 5:06 PM PDT

My Nokia 6200 was purchased with an AT&T plan back in 03. While still with AT&T after 1 year, I purchased on unlock code from ebay for $3. A few weeks later, I went to a Cingular dealer, got hooked up with a new Cingular sim and have been good ever since. I've never seen my phone in a roaming status. I've never heard of this roaming contingency placed on unlocked phones, it must be a new development. If this is something that they are now able to do then it should be illegal. That's like a cable company saying you can only watch TV with the TV that we sell...Rediculous!

Collapse -
I agree
by hh / October 23, 2005 12:06 AM PDT

That's why I was telling the other poster that they were being told alot of BS by the company. If you have an unlocked phone you can just transfer your SIM card to it, the company would not know nor care as long as you are paying your monthly bills.
They lie and use scare tactics to force people to buy their own phones. Sadly, sometimes they succeed.

Collapse -
I agree also
by Don347 / November 3, 2005 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: I agree

I purchased an unlocked Samsung SGH-715 phone from ebay which was orignally T mobil. When I received the phone I just put the Sim card from Cingular and it works fine and does not go into roaming. The only thing is that when you turn the phone off or on the T Mobil logo is displayed. This is really no big deal but I would like to change the logo to Cingular. first can this be done and if so does anyone know how.

Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung to Samsung Cellphone?
by jstobe99 / May 7, 2007 11:21 AM PDT

Can anyone help me? My husbands phone has bit the dust and we have 6 months left to go on our T-mobile contract. We are not sure if we want to renew with them or not...so I have been checking out Ebay for The same exact phone as his (samsung e105). If I get one from Ebay and it is unlocked...I can take the SIM card from his old broken phone and just put it into the new phone?

And can you tell me if I by an upgraded phone (Samsung X495) can I also use the SIM Card from his E105 model in the better/newer model phone? Any help would be appreciated....Thanks...

jstobe99

Collapse -
More Cingular unlocked phone confusion
by m3harri / October 27, 2005 3:20 PM PDT

My GF went to a corporate (Cingular) store today and put the same question to them. Per their rep an unlocked phone has a 50% chance of not working and probably will not be able to use voice mail or data services. How it is there is so much difference of opinion. Some say users say mine works fine yet Cingular is telling me, ?watch out.?
I have hard time believing that it can all be profit motivated. I think it is method to avoid liability. Cingular does not want to foot the bill for navigating the untested waters of non-standard phones.

Collapse -
Not true.
by Xerxxes / May 10, 2007 7:16 AM PDT

It will not be charged as roaming. But the phone you purchased sounds like a TDMA phone that was working before Cingular bought out AT&T and that will not work with the new technology Cingular uses now. They aren't forcing you to buy theirs, in fact Cingular and T-mobile are a little bit easier to use unlocked phones than anything for Verizon or Alltel that do not allow you to use a sim card.

And to the posters below, it is true unlocked phones are MUCH more unreliable than the ones we sell in our store because they already have the settings for Cingular. The ones you buy overseas that have a billion different data networks setup don't always work. I spent about an hour and a half with a guy's Krzr yesterday he bought in Germany and could never get it going, even with the right settings.

Collapse -
look here
by jndrad / October 21, 2005 10:25 PM PDT

check out lostmyphone.com

Collapse -
Be careful ordering from Lostmyphone
by 1unhapycustmer / August 2, 2006 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: look here

The ''pre-owned'' phone that Lostmyphone.com sent was in bad shape from the get-go, wouldn't hold a charge for very long, and after 2 and 1/2 weeks, stopped booting up at all. The company is trying to come up with excuses for not giving me any refund, such as claiming I did not return the battery with the phone, and that the charger was damaged in shipment. I doubt the charger was damaged, because it was well packaged. The battery, of course, was returned in the box. I bet they're going to try to keep all my money. I'll keep you posted. I wouldn't trust them at this point.

Collapse -
Lostmyphone.com is a loser
by 1unhapycustmer / January 30, 2007 4:44 AM PST

Justice prevails. My credit card company gave me a full refund of all Lostmyphone.com charges. They tried to keep my money *and* the 2nd defective replacement phone that I had to return, but now they can keep their crappy equipment, 'cause I got my money back.

Collapse -
LOSTMYPHONE has worst service ever, please read
by amalea / March 5, 2007 10:37 PM PST

My phone was stolen. I was pretty low on cash and dont have a PAYPAL account (which is required for most ebay transactions) so I tried to order from LOSTMYPHONE,COM.

My first order was refunded after about a week because my credit card address was different from the place I wanted my phone shipped. (it would have nice if they didn't leave spaces for both Shipping Address AND Billing Address in their order form if you are not allowed to choose where to have your phone shipped. What if I was on vacation?

So to hurry the process along I ordered the same phone (boasted as new on their website) with 2 day shipping on a Mon.Feb 5, 2007. (Please not they make a huge point on their website to ship same day, and my order was around noon so they should have been able to fill it. No phone all week and then Monday I get an email saying my order was shipped MON FEB.12 2007. That was pretty irritating. So I went to their website and tried the online chat with a LostMyPhone Rep. (I saved the transcript as well and its pretty funny.)
I spoke (online chatted) with Jenny. I was going to post portions but I cant seem to leave anthing out. Its a wonderful example of the quality servce they claim to have.

"
Rob Hock: Why haveI not received my phone?

You are now speaking with Jenny of Support.

Jenny: Hello, do you have an order number so that I may further assist you?

Rob Hock: sure

Rob Hock: ###################

Rob Hock: is the reference numberf

Jenny: It is a 5 digit number followed by LMP

Rob Hock: #####

Jenny: alright one moment

Rob Hock: thnk you

Jenny: This order is scheduled for delivery on Monday

Rob Hock: yes i know

Jenny: Oh I see then how can I help you today?

Your party has left this session.

Rob Hock: i am asking why it is scheduled for delivery on monday when i ordered it last monday evening with 2-day shipping?

Jenny: Lets see

Rob Hock: it wasn't even shipped until wednesday

Jenny: Alright placed this order after we closed I see on Monday night
Jenny: so we recieved it Tuesday

Rob Hock: yes
Rob Hock: and orders received before 3pm should beshipped that day according to your website

Jenny: You were approved for shipment on Wednesday
Jenny: and tracking was issued but this was after FedEx cuttoff time
Jenny: so it went out the next day Thursday

Rob Hock: yes, i know all this
Rob Hock: i am asking why the service has been so poor

Jenny: Well sir we do not show you chose "rush" at checkout

Rob Hock: and why i should have paid $18 for shipping that is taking 6-7 days

Jenny: so this went pretty smoothly and quickly for a standard order

Rob Hock: i disagree

Jenny: Considering we recieve very many order it went very quickly

Rob Hock: for the record i tried calling to do this on the phone

Jenny: If you had chose "rush" processing it would of went out soon
Jenny: this is why we offer the option

Rob Hock: ok, well your FAQ is incorrect then

Jenny: We do our best to handle all orders as quickly as possible
Jenny: but as you know this is the holiday seasons
Jenny: and we have more orders than usual

Rob Hock: holiday?

Jenny: Is there any other way I may assist you today?

Rob Hock: what holiday?

Jenny: Valentines day sir
Jenny: It is On Wednesday

Rob Hock: riiiiiiight
Rob Hock: that is poor
Rob Hock: can i havesomeone call me?

Jenny: Alright sir i understand you wish it went faster but we went as quickly as possible
Jenny: and as you did not choose the "rush" option
Jenny: You can call us sir

Rob Hock: i did and nobody answered

Jenny: You can leave a message

Rob Hock: i did

Jenny: and someone will contct you back within 48 business hours

Rob Hock: terrific

Jenny: Or you can send an email or a quicker respsonse
Jenny: but it will be the same response I assure you

Rob Hock: ok, well the situation is morecomplicated than i want to gointo here
Rob Hock: but rest assured the overall service i have received in the last 8 days has been terrible

Jenny: Sir we have not had your order for 8 days

Rob Hock: since this is the second time the orderwas placed

Jenny: We have only had it since Tuesday

Rob Hock: correct
Rob Hock: but it was ordered a week ago with a different card

Jenny: And we shipped it within 2 days
Jenny: This is much faster than most other companies

Rob Hock: haha

Jenny: Im sorry FedEx doesnt deliver on weekends

Rob Hock: i'm not concerned with fedex
Rob Hock: i'm concerned with the poor service

Jenny: I understand you are upset that it took 2 days for your item to ship?
Jenny: Is this correct?

Jenny: Ok well sir I will notate your account
Jenny: but this is well within our timelines
Jenny: It would of went out sooner had you select rush

Rob Hock: 2 day shipping implies it will be delivered in 2 days
Rob Hock: from tuesday

Jenny: No sir 2 day shipping implies FedEx will deliver in 2 days

Rob Hock: the day it should have been processed

Jenny: It only implies what FedEx will do

Rob Hock: well, if you look at your faq
Rob Hock: Does LostMyPhone.com ship all orders out on the same day?

Jenny: Yes, everything that you see on our web site is physically in stock and all orders placed before 3:00pm eastern time gets shipped out on the same day. All orders after 3:00pm have the option of having there order rushed out same day only till 4:30pm for an additional $5.00
Jenny: Please sir
Jenny: read the Terms of Service
Jenny: http://www.lostmyphone.com/terms_of_use.htm

Rob Hock: no problem
Rob Hock: i'm not threatening you

Jenny: I do not think you are sir

Rob Hock: i am simply pointing out how stating incorrect information on the FAQ is poor service

Jenny: Ok sir
Jenny: I will send that along

Rob Hock: thank you
Rob Hock: send it along to yuorself

Jenny: Im sorry I do not understand please rephrase

Rob Hock: i think you are the service dept

Jenny: Im sorry sir I do not understand your question

Rob Hock: well it clearly wasn'taquestion

Jenny: Alright then how can I help you?

Rob Hock: please have someone call me in the next 48 business hours

Jenny: If you left a message today someone should call you back

Rob Hock: great

Jenny: Either Tuesday or Wednesday I would surmise
Jenny: Depending on what time the message was left

Rob Hock: 5:00 today
Rob Hock: EST

Jenny: Hmm most likely Wednesday then

Rob Hock: doyou not realize how poor this service is?

Jenny: Well sir the only thing you have told me is you are uhappy your phone shipped out in 2 days
Jenny: which is excellent service

Jenny: I understand you are unhappy
Jenny: but this is a fine time frame

Rob Hock: in the world of internet retailers, this is the slowest thing i have encountered.

Jenny: I think you are feeling you placed your order Monday
Jenny: but please understand

Rob Hock: also, the 7 hour phone window is poor

Jenny: for us we did not get it till Tuesday

Rob Hock: yes, i know

Jenny: and it shipped Thursday

Rob Hock: i know

Jenny: Which is very fast

Rob Hock: no, it is NOT
Rob Hock: your website probably gets 100 orders a day
Rob Hock: i know since i have 2 order numbers several days apart
Rob Hock: i dont expect you to argue with me

Jenny: Please tell me how I may assist you sir

Rob Hock: clearly you cannot. youonly write down account information which i had already
Rob Hock: goodbye.

Jenny: Well I am able to do all that any rep can do

Rob Hock: i know. its nothing personal

Jenny: Thank you for choosing LostMyPhone.com
Goodbye.
"

Appearantly if you want something shipped faster, you not only have to click on the proper shipping option and be charged accordingly AND THEN ALSO check the a box next to this phrase

"Rush Processing on this order up till 4.30PM EST ADDITONAL $5.00"

Thats the only way to get your order processed same day...give the $5 more bucks (in addition to the $13.75 PROCESSING FEE). The website never tells you any of this. It just boasts same day shipping if you order before 2 or 3pm (I forget which but is stardard of any online store) "Rush Processing" appears as an option for late afternoon buyers only. I then request someone contact me by phone and I was pomised within 48 hours I would hear from someone (of course they never call).
My phone does arrive two days after they shipped it. It did not work so I emailed them requesting someone call me (pointless) but they did email me saying they would honor their 7 day return policy. So I mailed it back and two weeks after my "UPS delivary confirmation" mailed them again...wondering what happened to my refund. I got an email saying they refunded the phone which is good. Now I'm just trying to get my extended warranty money back, but now (after along string of back and forth replys to the same address) my emails are no longer being recieved. I've gotten TWO sent beck to me so far saying

"PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Cannot relay. Mailbox not available "

This company is a nasty piece of work and I hope I've prevented you from even considering wasting your time with them

Collapse -
ebay!
by iknowphones / October 22, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

ebay! many sellers on ebay have new-in-box phones and ther is usually nothing wrong with them! i recomend ebayers "razorman316" or "nazdax".
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM OUT OF THE US OR CANADA! MOST OF THE AUCTIONS FROM OUTSIDE OF THE US AND CANADA ARE SCAMS! ALSO IF YOU ARE SELLING DO NOT LET ANYONE BUY YOUR ITEM UNLESS THEY ARE FROM THE US OR CANADA! Also, another word of advice, beware of seller "mei-nam"!

Collapse -
Lost Cell Phone in Canada
by maherk13 / October 25, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

I am in a similar situation. My son is going to college in Canada and lost his Verizon cell phone. He wasn't using it much because of roaming charges there but I will need to find a replacement. I have been bidding on eBay for a number of phones but they seem to be overpriced. I would like to find a phone (preferably new in a box but will take slightly used) that I can bring into a Verizon Wireless store to activate with his number -- I work a block down from one on Wall St and Water St. in NYC.

Any suggestions beyond eBay? Will phones on www.lostmyphone.com work for what my purposes?

Collapse -
Saving on Ebay
by m3harri / October 26, 2005 5:36 PM PDT

It is hard to beet the deals you ?can? find on Ebay. The thing is you can not be in a hurry. I have seen people pay $100 more for a phone than they would from the cellular dealer Just because they did not want to loose.
If you need one right way then look for buy it now items. DO NOT let your emotions rule. You can find the best deals in the off hours.
If you are patient and persistent you can find a deal.

Collapse -
Motorola sells phones on their website
by dataBoy / October 27, 2005 9:25 PM PDT

unlocked without service and much less then you think

Verizon lists my v276 as retail $250 in they strore but I can buy it from Motorola for $189

Collapse -
eBay
by foreverLaur / August 9, 2006 5:14 AM PDT

all phones are an arm and a leg through the actual company if you don't get a contract. i've broken my phones many of times and i just buy another one through eBay and i've never had any problems.

Collapse -
I second that...Ebay.
by jgvillan / January 30, 2007 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: eBay

Since I moved to a GSM netowrk with Cingular...I never bought a phone from Cingular again. All my previous phones have been bought from Ebay, unlocked of course. Never had a problem moving my sim card and haven't been charged for roaming or anything like that. Only thing that you have to know, and what I learned the hard way, was that if you have Cingular...you have to give priority on the 850 Mhz band. Otherwise, a new unlocked phone will not work where there is no 850 Mhz available, and have to piggy back off the 1900 Mhz. Also, you are soley responsible for configuring your SMS and other network settings in order to hit the internet and send pictures and other files for messaging. Other than these two things, its not a problem. Of course, it doesn't hurt to find an unlocked phone that is similar to what the carrier is already offering.

When I used my Moto V360 (exclusive to Tmobile), I had a little bit of a learing curve configuring the internet to go through my Cingular account. Since that Cingular didn't offer a V360, I was pretty much on my own...going through trial and error using Cingular's Moto L6 configurations.

So, getting an unlocked phone is great way to replace your phone without cashing out the big bucks from your carrier. Just know that, in relation to tech support, your pretty much on your own.

Collapse -
LOST MY PHONE has the absolute worst service ever.
by amalea / March 5, 2007 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: I second that...Ebay.

My phone was stolen. I was pretty low on cash and dont have a PAYPAL account (which is required for most ebay transactions) so I tried to order from LOSTMYPHONE,COM.

My first order was refunded after about a week because my credit card address was different from the place I wanted my phone shipped. (it would have nice if they didn't leave spaces for both Shipping Address AND Billing Address in their order form if you are not allowed to choose where to have your phone shipped. What if I was on vacation?

So to hurry the process along I ordered the same phone (boasted as new on their website) with 2 day shipping on a Mon.Feb 5, 2007. (Please not they make a huge point on their website to ship same day, and my order was around noon so they should have been able to fill it. No phone all week and then Monday I get an email saying my order was shipped MON FEB.12 2007. That was pretty irritating. So I went to their website and tried the online chat with a LostMyPhone Rep. (I saved the transcript as well and its pretty funny.)
I spoke (online chatted) with Jenny. I was going to post portions but I cant seem to leave anthing out. Its a wonderful example of the quality servce they claim to have.

"
Rob Hock: Why haveI not received my phone?

You are now speaking with Jenny of Support.

Jenny: Hello, do you have an order number so that I may further assist you?

Rob Hock: sure

Rob Hock: ###################

Rob Hock: is the reference numberf

Jenny: It is a 5 digit number followed by LMP

Rob Hock: #####

Jenny: alright one moment

Rob Hock: thnk you

Jenny: This order is scheduled for delivery on Monday

Rob Hock: yes i know

Jenny: Oh I see then how can I help you today?

Your party has left this session.

Rob Hock: i am asking why it is scheduled for delivery on monday when i ordered it last monday evening with 2-day shipping?

Jenny: Lets see

Rob Hock: it wasn't even shipped until wednesday

Jenny: Alright placed this order after we closed I see on Monday night
Jenny: so we recieved it Tuesday

Rob Hock: and orders received before 3pm should beshipped that day according to your website

Jenny: You were approved for shipment on Wednesday
Jenny: and tracking was issued but this was after FedEx cuttoff time
Jenny: so it went out the next day Thursday

Rob Hock: yes, i know all this
Rob Hock: i am asking why the service has been so poor

Jenny: Well sir we do not show you chose "rush" at checkout

Rob Hock: and why i should have paid $18 for shipping that is taking 6-7 days

Jenny: so this went pretty smoothly and quickly for a standard order

Rob Hock: i disagree

Jenny: Considering we recieve very many order it went very quickly

Rob Hock: for the record i tried calling to do this on the phone

Jenny: If you had chose "rush" processing it would of went out soon
Jenny: this is why we offer the option

Rob Hock: ok, well your FAQ is incorrect then

Jenny: We do our best to handle all orders as quickly as possible
Jenny: but as you know this is the holiday seasons
Jenny: and we have more orders than usual

Rob Hock: holiday?

Jenny: Is there any other way I may assist you today?

Rob Hock: what holiday?

Jenny: Valentines day sir
Jenny: It is On Wednesday

Rob Hock: riiiiiiight
Rob Hock: that is poor
Rob Hock: can i havesomeone call me?

Jenny: Alright sir i understand you wish it went faster but we went as quickly as possible
Jenny: and as you did not choose the "rush" option
Jenny: You can call us sir

Rob Hock: i did and nobody answered

Jenny: You can leave a message

Rob Hock: i did

Jenny: and someone will contct you back within 48 business hours

Rob Hock: terrific

Jenny: Or you can send an email or a quicker respsonse
Jenny: but it will be the same response I assure you

Rob Hock: ok, well the situation is morecomplicated than i want to gointo here
Rob Hock: but rest assured the overall service i have received in the last 8 days has been terrible

Jenny: Sir we have not had your order for 8 days

Rob Hock: since this is the second time the orderwas placed

Jenny: We have only had it since Tuesday

Rob Hock: correct
Rob Hock: but it was ordered a week ago with a different card

Jenny: And we shipped it within 2 days
Jenny: This is much faster than most other companies

Rob Hock: haha

Jenny: Im sorry FedEx doesnt deliver on weekends

Rob Hock: i'm not concerned with fedex
Rob Hock: i'm concerned with the poor service

Jenny: I understand you are upset that it took 2 days for your item to ship?
Jenny: Is this correct?

Jenny: Ok well sir I will notate your account
Jenny: but this is well within our timelines
Jenny: It would of went out sooner had you select rush

Rob Hock: 2 day shipping implies it will be delivered in 2 days
Rob Hock: from tuesday

Jenny: No sir 2 day shipping implies FedEx will deliver in 2 days

Rob Hock: the day it should have been processed

Jenny: It only implies what FedEx will do

Rob Hock: well, if you look at your faq
Rob Hock: Does LostMyPhone.com ship all orders out on the same day?

Jenny: Yes, everything that you see on our web site is physically in stock and all orders placed before 3:00pm eastern time gets shipped out on the same day. All orders after 3:00pm have the option of having there order rushed out same day only till 4:30pm for an additional $5.00
Jenny: Please sir
Jenny: read the Terms of Service
Jenny: http://www.lostmyphone.com/terms_of_use.htm

Rob Hock: no problem
Rob Hock: i'm not threatening you

Jenny: I do not think you are sir

Rob Hock: i am simply pointing out how stating incorrect information on the FAQ is poor service

Jenny: Ok sir
Jenny: I will send that along

Rob Hock: thank you
Rob Hock: send it along to yuorself

Jenny: Im sorry I do not understand please rephrase

Rob Hock: i think you are the service dept

Jenny: Im sorry sir I do not understand your question

Rob Hock: well it clearly wasn'taquestion

Jenny: Alright then how can I help you?

Rob Hock: please have someone call me in the next 48 business hours

Jenny: If you left a message today someone should call you back

Rob Hock: great

Jenny: Either Tuesday or Wednesday I would surmise
Jenny: Depending on what time the message was left

Rob Hock: 5:00 today
Rob Hock: EST

Jenny: Hmm most likely Wednesday then

Rob Hock: doyou not realize how poor this service is?

Jenny: Well sir the only thing you have told me is you are uhappy your phone shipped out in 2 days
Jenny: which is excellent service

Jenny: I understand you are unhappy
Jenny: but this is a fine time frame

Rob Hock: in the world of internet retailers, this is the slowest thing i have encountered.

Jenny: I think you are feeling you placed your order Monday
Jenny: but please understand

Rob Hock: also, the 7 hour phone window is poor

Jenny: for us we did not get it till Tuesday

Rob Hock: yes, i know

Jenny: and it shipped Thursday

Rob Hock: i know

Jenny: Which is very fast

Rob Hock: no, it is NOT
Rob Hock: your website probably gets 100 orders a day
Rob Hock: i know since i have 2 order numbers several days apart
Rob Hock: i dont expect you to argue with me

Jenny: Please tell me how I may assist you sir

Rob Hock: clearly you cannot. youonly write down account information which i had already
Rob Hock: goodbye.

Jenny: Well I am able to do all that any rep can do

Rob Hock: i know. its nothing personal

Jenny: Thank you for choosing LostMyPhone.com
Goodbye.
"

Appearantly if you want something shipped faster, you not only have to click on the proper shipping option and be charged accordingly AND THEN ALSO check the a box next to this phrase

"Rush Processing on this order up till 4.30PM EST ADDITONAL $5.00"

Thats the only way to get your order processed same day...give the $5 more bucks (in addition to the $13.75 PROCESSING FEE). The website never tells you any of this. It just boasts same day shipping if you order before 2 or 3pm (I forget which but is stardard of any online store) "Rush Processing" appears as an option for late afternoon buyers only. I then request someone contact me by phone and I was pomised within 48 hours I would hear from someone (of course they never call).
My phone does arrive two days after they shipped it. It did not work so I emailed them requesting someone call me (pointless) but they did email me saying they would honor their 7 day return policy. So I mailed it back and two weeks after my "UPS delivary confirmation" mailed them again...wondering what happened to my refund. I got an email saying they refunded the phone which is good. Now I'm just trying to get my extended warranty money back, but now (after along string of back and forth replys to the same address) my emails are no longer being recieved. I've gotten TWO sent beck to me so far saying

"PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Cannot relay. Mailbox not available "

This company is a nasty piece of work and I hope I've prevented you from even considering wasting your time with them

Collapse -
without contract cell phone site
by leofox / February 7, 2010 1:14 AM PST

I think this site http://www.ilovemycell.com/ has a really good deal for buying cell without contract. Please let me know if you know of any more

Collapse -
*ATTN* mods- please lock this thread (n/t)
by Pepe7 / March 1, 2010 11:26 AM PST

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.