Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pump Price Rant

by Mac McMullen / November 10, 2007 2:08 PM PST

It?s time to face reality. Pump Prices are going to continue to go up.

Use any number you care, and the result will be the same. I?ll use 85 billion barrels as today?s ?capacity? of world production of crude oil, and 88 billion barrels as today?s world demand.

Will the world run out of oil ? No ! The price at the pump will assure us of that, and bring demand in line with supply.

The only way to offset these numbers is development of alternative fuels and vehicles, and this is many years away in any reasonable measurement.

The price at the pump is not the only place this will be felt. Every store or service dependent upon fuel will reflect a pump price of one form or another.

It looks to me like $3.00 gas is on a fast track to ?good old days? nostalgia, and there ain?t nothing the politicians can do about it, except make noise and blame someone.

Are you seriously thinking about how you?re going to cope ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pump Price Rant
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pump Price Rant
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
bicycles made a comeback
by James Denison / November 10, 2007 4:22 PM PST
In reply to: Pump Price Rant

Maybe the horse will too. It might help if more people made efforts to live closer to their workplace too. Every day there are thousands of workers in Baltimore who drive to DC for work, and thousands that drive from DC to Baltimore for work. Many of those workers have similar job skills. Employers should concentrate first on hiring those who are nearest or willing to move closer. Communities need to change traffic flow so there are fewer red lights. Older neighborhoods which have every residential street opening onto main avenues could have many of those streets dead ended so residents all entered and left the neighborhood only through several light controlled accesses. That cuts down on some traffic lights, allow longer flow rates on major roads. Many newer neighborhoods are already built that way and it helps in crime control too.

Collapse -
Pump Price Rant
by JFlack / November 10, 2007 4:44 PM PST

Yes, like market economics will ensure there's an everlasting supply of tigers by ramping up the price until the last one's shot for gazillions - and of course tigers (live one's at least) can reproduce - whereas fossil organisms are strangely inactive in this area. Wake up - it's on it's way out, exploited to extinction (if we can exploit an extinct resource to extinction..) the same way as so many other things on the planet.

Collapse -
Well, they could...
by EdH / November 10, 2007 8:45 PM PST

Lower the taxes we pay at the pump somewhat....

Drill for more oil in Alaska and places that we don't touch, and do more exploring....

Count your blessings. Gas prices are much higher in almost every other country in the world. Somehow they cope.

Collapse -
To relieve the pain of high gas prices
by PudgyOne / November 11, 2007 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Well, they could...

The only way we can relieve the pain it to try to find the cheapest place in our area to buy the gas.

This is why I go here

to find the cheapest prices in our area.

Collapse -
(NT) My 2-wheeled transportation gets 70 mpg. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / November 11, 2007 1:42 AM PST
Collapse -
How is it in the snow?
by EdH / November 11, 2007 5:32 AM PST

Lots of annoying snowmobiles up this way.

Collapse -
Luckily, we don't get much.
by Cindi Haynes / November 11, 2007 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: How is it in the snow?

Which saves the auto gas for lousy days if you ride on the nice ones. Happy

Collapse -
Was very tempted to buy a motor scooter this summer...
by EdH / November 11, 2007 10:03 AM PST

but my wife would have killed me if the scooter didn't.

Collapse -
They should couble the price....
by C1ay / November 11, 2007 2:00 AM PST

for all of the gas guzzlers out there that people insist on driving as status symbols. America's wasteful thirst is a big variable in the demand. Let those that are too concerned with their image to worry about conservation bear the burden of their actions.

Collapse -
Lots of gas guzzlers are driven by poor...
by EdH / November 11, 2007 2:49 AM PST

or lower middle class who can't afforf teh newer morfe expensive cars that get better mileage. I drive a '96 Lincoln, not as a status symbol, but because it's all I could afford in my budget when my old Taurus died (it's not our only car, but you get the point). It gets crappy mileage but for now I'm stuck.

I would strenuously oppose any more artificial raising of prices. They are too high as it is.

Scale the taxes back!

BTW, you know who to thank for all the SUVs on the road, right?

Collapse -
Hummers driven by the poor?
by C1ay / November 11, 2007 4:09 AM PST

If they can afford a Hummer they can afford $10 a gallon....

Collapse -
Are there that many Hummers on the road?
by EdH / November 11, 2007 5:15 AM PST

Lots more old junkers. Besides, who is building those Hummers? Rich people? Who's driving all those hybrids?

I doubt very much the "energy crisis" is caused by people driving Hummers. It's a nonexistant crisis anyway.

Collapse -
And who is going to do this price doubling?
by EdH / November 11, 2007 3:05 AM PST

The gummint? I thought you were a libertarian of some sort!

Collapse -
I think I see your point.
by Angeline Booher / November 11, 2007 3:19 AM PST

Sort of a "luxury" tax.

(Is there still one of those on some boats? Seems I recall there once was one, but I can stand corrected.)

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Hurts many...
by EdH / November 11, 2007 3:29 AM PST

especially those who can afford it the least.

The "luxury tax" on boats impacted boat builders, people who provision boats, charter companies and their employees, etc.

The urge to punish the rich always leads to misery for the poor. Very very bad idea.

Collapse -
Right now the poor are paying the price at the pump....
by C1ay / November 11, 2007 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Hurts many...

[quote]The urge to punish the rich always leads to misery for the poor. [/quote]

because of the extra demand created by the rich.

Collapse -
On our "poor side of town"
by Steven Haninger / November 11, 2007 4:55 AM PST

You will see a lot of older cars with big V-8s that were probably handed down in the family or bought for a couple hundred bucks. These always seem to belch smoke and sound awful. No doubt they gobble up the gas. I suppose these folks can't afford the 15 grand (and up) prices of the smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles.....and maybe wouldn't do so if they could.

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / November 11, 2007 5:30 AM PST

...... they ride the bus.

My area of town has limited public transportation. When I worked I sometimes rode the bus. The stop was about 1? miles away.

I drive a '88 Corolla. Over our married life we bought 1 used Studebaker Lark at first, then 1 used VW, then one new VW, then a new VW Squareback, a VW Dasher (a huge mistake), a Toyota (I forget the name- a 2 door hatchback low-end model), then the Corolla. We wanted dependability, good gas mileage, and low depreciation. I reckon we just weren't car people.

I would be very hard pressed to buy a new car. I enjoy looking at the Consumer Reports Annual Auto issue. I liked the write-up on the Honda Fit.

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Extra demand created by the rich.
by EdH / November 11, 2007 5:11 AM PST

Oh come on! You don't really believe that do you?

Collapse -
(NT) maybe a better term would be "sin" tax.
by Dango517 / November 11, 2007 10:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Rationing ? Penalty for high volume users?
by grimgraphix / November 11, 2007 7:07 AM PST

I don't think doubling the price is quite the right solution. I do believe that low volume users have subsidized the higher prices we have paid, for the past couple of years, because I know that my "demand" for gasoline, in the cycle of "supply and demand" price adjustments never went up .

It would be nice if you get to pay a low price for your first 20 gallons of the month... a higher price for you second 20 gallons and so on. It certainly would encourage drivers to conserve, car pool, and combine multiple short trips into one "get it all done" trip per week.

Collapse -
As I said in Mac's other post...
by Angeline Booher / November 11, 2007 7:22 AM PST

...... we "coped" with gas rationing in WWII, and with the oil crisis a few decades back.

Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
We don't need rationing...
by EdH / November 11, 2007 7:49 AM PST

There is no shortage. There is no crisis.

Collapse -
There is a shortage...
by C1ay / November 11, 2007 8:02 AM PST

A shortage in supply capacity. Worldwide demand is approaching the limits of current refining capacity. The U.S. is the single largest contributor to this demand.

Collapse -
Which is exactly my point.
by grimgraphix / November 11, 2007 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: There is a shortage...

Reward the conservationists... penalize the self-indulget and gluttonous. A sliding cost scale for the average citizen. Businesses would operate under a different schedule. The more you consume, the more you pay. Otherwise, those folks who do there best to conserve their energy usage are stuck paying the higher costs driven by those who increase the "demand" portion of the supply and demand equation.

Collapse -
Punish and Reward..
by EdH / November 11, 2007 8:24 AM PST

and who will run the camps?

Very very very very very BAD idea.

Remember that thing called THE MARKET? Any chance of letting that work?

Collapse -
The market has been working.
by grimgraphix / November 11, 2007 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: Punish and Reward..

That is how we got to this point today.

Collapse -
by EdH / November 11, 2007 8:41 AM PST
That is how we got to this point today.

The most advanced and free civilization the Earth has ever seen. Don't ruin it.
Collapse -
RE: Don't ruin it.
by JP Bill / November 11, 2007 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: True...
I would strenuously oppose any more artificial raising of prices. They are too high as it is.

Scale the taxes back!

Prices too high.....Taxes too high.......

Don't ruin it.
Collapse -
That's what I'm saying!
by EdH / November 11, 2007 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Don't ruin it.

What's the price in Canada?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.