Speakeasy forum

Alert

PULL!!!

by JP Bill / January 29, 2013 11:51 AM PST
Is Barack Obama really a skeet shooter? Doubting Republicans challenge him to shooting contest

Barack Obama has a well-documented history of shooting, but until now it has mainly involved "hoops" with his basketball buddies, the odd frame of pool and a round of golf.

So when Obama added clay-pigeon shooting to that list in an attempt to reassure America's gun lobby, there were those who wondered if the president might be trying too hard.

One Republican politician even challenged him to a shoot-out.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," Obama had told The New Republic magazine, adding that he had "a profound respect for the traditions of hunting". Coming from a president who once mocked small town Americans for their attachment to "God and guns", the remarks were met with a mixture of surprise and disbelief as the debate continued over gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shootings.

I wonder if the Republican that challenged him is Cheney...The Pres always has medical help close at hand anyways doesn't he?
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PULL!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PULL!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They should go through with the shootout
by Steven Haninger / January 29, 2013 5:55 PM PST
In reply to: PULL!!!

and have each contestant write the name of another politician on the clay targets. We'll see who survives.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 2, 2013 3:51 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm not gun savvy, so someone explain
by Roger NC / February 2, 2013 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Response

why the picture shows a smoke plume straight out of the barrel and 90 degrees to the barrel, it ain't drift, given it's shape.

Collapse -
It was Photoshopped by the conservatives?
by JP Bill / February 2, 2013 4:17 AM PST

Obama blowin' smoke?

blowing smoke

Trying to pretend like you're more important than you are or know something you really don't understand.
"He's just blowing smoke"

Collapse -
I wondered the same
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 4:21 AM PST

but I also wondered why his shot is almost horizontal to the ground. I've never shot skeet but only watched. Maybe it's a practice shot with the "bird" sitting atop **** Cheney's head.

Collapse -
(NT) The skeet had one bad wing....
by JP Bill / February 2, 2013 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: I wondered the same
Collapse -
Guess I'm wrong
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: I wondered the same

Youtube has skeet and trap shooting. There's a difference it seems in the trajectory of the target. I know a couple of crazy older folks who do this. I'll ask them sometime.

Collapse -
(NT) doesn't explain the horizontal smoke does it?
by Roger NC / February 2, 2013 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Guess I'm wrong
Collapse -
Some are saying it's a fraud
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 7:02 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Of course they are, LOL
by Josh K / February 2, 2013 7:50 AM PST
Collapse -
I haven't gone that far, and I'm no gun expert
by Roger NC / February 2, 2013 10:43 PM PST

but the horizontal smoke looks all wrong.

Collapse -
The site might have been a bit more credible without adding
by Roger NC / February 2, 2013 10:53 PM PST

the "humorous photo interpretations" at the bottom of their column.

The photoshops of Obama in shorts and high heels would be telling enough of their attitude but add in the supermexican label and it labels the poster, and the site for sharing it as humorous, as bigots.

Collapse -
believe it or not, those weren't there when I first posted
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 11:03 PM PST

These blog type sites are dynamic and things can change. I'd agree that those manipulated photos are in poor taste and I'd not mind a bit if you yanked the link or even the entire post. My apologies to anyone offended. It wasn't intended.

Collapse -
I believe you, it's a bit of a problem actually now
by Roger NC / February 3, 2013 1:08 AM PST

you link to something and then when someone follows it, the post has been modified or changed into something at least slightly different than what it was when you cited it as an example of reference.

At least some news sites usually note last time edited. Some actually repost the story with the original report intact at the bottom. I've seen that on a few tv news and newspaper sites anyway.

Collapse -
Possible explanation
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 6:00 PM PST

No where can I find the official white house release of the photo to explore its attributes but one blogster suggested it was a video frame from a high speed camera. That makes sense. It could explain some of the oddities such as why the president does not appear to be looking through the gun sites rather than at the hammer position and why the butt of the gun is resting so high on his shoulder. Perhaps that's the effect of the recoil though I would have expected the barrel to rise a bit. What I am wondering is that if the picture was, indeed, photoshopped and is a composite. It might be that the additional plume is from another shooter's gun who is no longer in the picture and that the original was on a different background. The photo could have been manipulated to isolate the president from a busier background and provide better contrast. Someone just forgot to remove the smoke from the other gun? If a person could be removed, that would have been simple. Perhaps we'll eventually get an explanation of the WS photo staff is pressed.

Frankly, I think it's much ado about nothing. Presidents get asked stupid question by the media all the time and try to make a story out of them. Obama is needing to distance himself from the notion that he doesn't support the 2nd Amendment so was asked if he's ever shot a gun. What would that matter? I don't believe we should legalize cocaine and heroine for public use. Do I need to try it first to validate my thinking? It's the old "Don't knock it if you ain't tried it" argument.

Collapse -
Or another one
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: Possible explanation

something called "gas porting"? Someone mentioned it. Is it a semi-auto? I know we have gun enthusiasts here who could shed light here.

Collapse -
I'll take a "shot" at that,Steve :D
by Tony Holmes / February 2, 2013 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: Or another one

although I'm no expert like BO is,I've only shot skeet a couple of times and really don't care for it.I'd rather just target shoot.

I can't see enough detail on the gun to be sure but it appears to be a Beretta over/under shotgun and not semi auto.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Beretta-686-Silver-Pigeon-I-Shotgun-12-ga-28-barrel&i=GM442129&aID=510D3&merchID=4006

IOW,it's 2 shot and breaks open like a double barrel only the barrels are top/bottom instead of side/side.

Gas porting? yes.Notice how the tip of the barrel appears to be a yellow color,different from the blue of the gun?

Beretta barrel ends are threaded to take different size "choke tubes".These allow you to tailor the shot pattern to the task at hand.Different size chokes are different colors so the shooter can tell what size he's using at a glance.

This appears to be the choke being used:

http://www.briley.com/BerettaMobilChokeSpectrumPortedChoke.aspx

That choke is ported and vents when fired,only one problem with the picture.It would vent in a radial pattern like a fan,not in one spurt to the side as shown.Whoever photo-shopped that didn't know anything about shotguns and chokes.

They should have also photo-shopped a large urine stain into his pants,which is what would have happened if he had fired that from such an incorrect stance,injured clavicles hurt!!

Collapse -
Thanks, Tony
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 9:56 PM PST

I've not fired a gun in over 30 years and that was at a local pistol range with my dad. He'd bought a 38 Smith & Wesson for protection but had never fired it. The indoor range just wasn't as good as when I was stationed in Abilene TX and we had a retired Lt. Col.'s 3000 acre range to play on. We shared what each other had in the way of pistols and rifles. The Lt. Col. let us use the ranch for plinking if we'd help him rid his stocked fish pond of turtles. We kept to small caliber stuff but one guy had a 30-30 and another something called a .308 Brit. I only fired it once...liked to have ripped my arm off. I had a weak little Ruger 10-22 but it was fun...also a Colt Huntsman or Woodsman but I forget which. Shooting can be an expensive hobby but these didn't eat me up too much. I bought both guns in a toy store in Abiline for under a 75 bucks each in the early '70s. There's not much use for them where I live now.

Collapse -
Never fired a switchable choke gun
by Roger NC / February 2, 2013 10:46 PM PST

so didn't realize there would be gas porting, radially or otherwise.

Fired an adjustable choke, but it was built in not changable, on a 12 guage shotgun.

Odd anyone would know enough to add ported gas without knowing how it would be if someone did photoshop that in.

Collapse -
Bring it on???
by Steven Haninger / February 2, 2013 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Response
Collapse -
Oh, God, not Cheney. He's dangerous to his friends, let
by Ziks511 / January 31, 2013 1:27 AM PST

alone some Democrat he despises.

Rob

Collapse -
Skeet Shooting.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 2:16 AM PST

I have one thing to say.
STOP The slaughter of clay pigeons. It's inhumane!
Dafydd. Wales.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.