PC Hardware

General discussion

PSU Issues

by pvc_ / February 9, 2008 3:50 AM PST

well, I have built myself a new pc and unfortunately the process has been more annoying and painful than I originally anticipated. The main problem I'm facing is that my pc crashes without any kind of warnings or errors a few minutes after its load. When I was first installing windows, it wouldn't even let me finish the installation and would randomly restart. So, a friend of mine suggested that the RAM could be bad and asked me to use different combinations of my 2 RAM modules and the 4 available slots. After disconnecting one of the RAM modules, the installation was completed and I was able to start windows, but still crashes randomly.
After doing all kinds of updates for different devices as well as windows I came across a program that came with the Motherboard called "I-Cool." This program basically allows you to manually determine how much CPU power you wanna get, so if I set it to anything less than %100, my computer will continue to work, but shortly after I change it to %100 power consumption and fan noise, the PC crashes again.
So, from this I have a feeling that my 650 Watts (SLI) PSU, is not generating enough power to run this system. I just wanted to know if this is a correct assumption or there is something else that I'm over looking. BTW, if I add the second RAM, it would crash again regardless of the power setting.

Here's my spec:
Motherbord: Gigabyte, S Series N650 SLI-DS4L
RAM: 2 PQI (1 GB) Turbo with heatspreader.
CPU: Core 2 QUAD Q6600
GPU: GeForce 8800 GTS (520 MB)
PSU: Antec 650 Watt, ATX 12V V2.2 & EPS12V (SLI Ready)
HDD: 320 GB Sata 1 Western Digital.
Case has 4 fans, but only 2 of them are running (2 X 90 mm)

***PS, one other thing I have to mention is that on the GPU box, for the PSU requirement, it is suggested to have a 600W PSU for Non-SLI, or 700W for SLI Power Supplies.

Thanks,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSU Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSU Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While the Watts look ok.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2008 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: PSU Issues
Collapse -
Re:
by pvc_ / February 9, 2008 5:35 AM PST

it's a fairly new board (rev 1) and the bios update doesnt seem to be addressing this issue.
One problem with my psu is that there are 2 cables that are marked as "fan only," but I am not connecting my fans to those 2 cables because when I do, they just won't work at all. So I'm using other molex cables to run those 2 fans. Anyway, although I used to think overheating or the ram modules were the problem, I am starting to think that this "weak" psu is the root of all of these problems.

btw, I dont have any cables connected to the "Sys Fan" port on the motherboard simply because there are no 4 pin cables comming from the psu or any other devices that could be connected to it.

Collapse -
it's a fairly new board (rev 1) and the bios update doesnt s
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2008 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

Ok, I'll be more blunt. Do you have their latest BIOS installed?

Collapse -
Regardig the Power Supply fan only
by Ray Harinec / February 9, 2008 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

connectors. Have you read the PS Manual as to what they are? Or contact the supply mfr, you may find out that the cables are not for the purpose that you think. Possibly temp controlled and only run when needed.

Collapse -
Re
by pvc_ / February 9, 2008 11:35 AM PST

their latest BIOS was released only 5 days after the one I had, but I went ahead and installed it anyway. Didn't make any difference though.

Their manual is only about 2 pages and doesn't have those kinds of details, but I think all the cables are connected correctly. Except for the "Fan Only" cables that I mentioned in the earlier post and the only reason why I'm not using those is because non of the fans would run if I use those. I have waited for several minutes just to see if those fans would start that way, but nope.

Collapse -
Try looking in the EVENT VIEWER
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2008 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re

Maybe it left a clue.

Collapse -
PS. Memory voltage setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2008 11:57 AM PST

While I can't tell you if this is it, I note it since one owner spent a month going round and round and discovered later a BIOS setting was wrong. -> I can't guess such stuff. You designed this so you must check every setting.

Bob

Collapse -
Re
by pvc_ / February 9, 2008 12:37 PM PST

well the bios is already updated and the settings are set to "fail-safe" default (I have played with them before, no luck). The power supply cables are all connected in accordance with the mobo manual as well as the psu manual. I have even connected the fans to the "fan only" cables, but they have not run for a single second in the past 30 minutes, and I'm starting to get worried about the critical components. on monday I'm gonna use another psu (a non-sli) and see if that one makes a difference.
Another issue that I have come across is the blue screen of death with minimal details. It only gives me the IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL description; I don't know if that's related to this psu issue...

Collapse -
HPET
by pvc_ / February 10, 2008 12:19 AM PST

I disabled HPET under BIOS this morning because XP doesn't support, but that didn't make a difference.

Collapse -
Those default vaiues may be incorrect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 1:26 AM PST

The motherboard is from one maker, the sticks of ram (and all other parts) are from other places. You are the designer and integrator of the system. Defaults are nice if they work.

Bob

Collapse -
Re
by pvc_ / February 10, 2008 2:54 AM PST

I've looked at every single one of the BIOS options several times. The ones that I thought had to be changed were changed right after I did the BIOS flash. If there is any sepcific option that you think might cause this, let me know. When I'm dealing with a combination of new and old hardwares, it's really hard to determine which one is at fault specially when I get generic errors like one of your "new" devices has caused the blue screen of death...

So far I have been able to narrow down the problem to either the mobo or psu unless I'm totally wrong. Like I said earlier, I'm gonna try another psu tomrrow to see if that makes a difference...hopefully it will.

Collapse -
For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 3:04 AM PST
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141211 on it's spec writes 2.0V. Now your post doesn't share if you took a voltmeter and checked that it is delivering that much. Or if your BIOS values set it.

This is the level of detail a system designer and integrator has to get into to nail it down.

Then again the usual home builder is better off just exchanging boards (changing models too) until they hit on the working combo.

-> Let me be very clear that the reason for your machine's failure is not evident to me in your posts. The level of detail isn't there.

Bob
Collapse -
Voltage
by pvc_ / February 13, 2008 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: For example.

the default value on the ram socket of my mobo is 1.8 and my ram modules require 2 volts, so I went to BIOS and added 0.2 volts for ddr2. but now when the pc crashes, it doesnt restart it just shuts down and sometimes doesn't even boot up and turns itself off after 2 seconds. If I set it to anything less than 0.2 it doesn't do that; Any ideas?

Collapse -
Keep going. Check ALL settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2008 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: Voltage

You designed this combo so you have to check each and every setting. I only guessed that your memory setting could be off. There could be other things.

Collapse -
voltage
by KuyaMark / February 18, 2008 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Voltage

This happened to me too. My pc kept crashing randomly. Try setting everything back to the default settings in the bios. Then restart and change your ram voltage to whatever your module requires.

Collapse -
Video card?
by Nataku4ca / February 11, 2008 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: PSU Issues

Uh... this probably isnt the greatest question to ask but have you tried reseating the video card? and all power connected on the video card? I've seen the same thing happen just because of the video card came loose.(My god GTXes are heavy move around then it comes loose)

Or try a difference video card it might just fix the problem

Collapse -
Re
by pvc_ / February 11, 2008 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Video card?

the graphic card is firmly seating in its place. Today I tried a 700 W power supply, but the problem is not resolved. I don't know what else to do with it. Right now it's running very smoothly, but as soon as I load something that puts pressure on the cpu or the gpu (like a video game), it crashes after a few minutes. Sometimes it even crashes when I first turn it on, so I know this is not a heat issue. It could be a driver problem, but I've already downloaded the latest drivers for all the components...
Last night I ran the Microsoft RAM diagnostic tool under dos for about an hour and couldn't catch a single error.

Collapse -
last suggestion
by Nataku4ca / February 11, 2008 11:57 AM PST

only thing left i could suggest is borrow a few parts from family or friends and start swapping

Collapse -
Solution
by pvc_ / February 19, 2008 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: last suggestion

Seems like the problem was with my Sata drive or the Sata cable because I connected my old IDE drive to it, and that took care of most of the problems. I also bought a 512 mb of ram (1.8 volts) that probably helped. I still do get some occasional restarts, but not half as much as before. probably those are related to drivers as I have recently installed a new windows.

thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.