Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PSP worth the money?

by Xboxfan360 / January 3, 2006 6:15 AM PST

I was interested in buying a psp but the only complaint i have is the price. 250 for basic, or 300 for the giga pack which is a better deal. but still, these are new console prices. Is the psp worth paying that money for, or should i wait a lil while longer to see if they drop the price.

Thanks

Eric

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSP worth the money?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSP worth the money?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I was in the same boat...
by Jotas / January 9, 2006 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: PSP worth the money?

I was orginally thinking of purchasing an 4GB Nano, but then common sense hit me that for an additional $50 I could get a 30GB iPod. So then common sense hit me again (with a lot of persuassion from two co-workers who had the PSP) that for the $250 I could have a machine that could not only allow me to listen to music, but surf the 'Net, watch movies, and play video games.

My main goal was to listen to music on my commute into work, but after weighing the pros/cons between an iPod and a PSP, I went for the PSP. I don't regret it and I actually bought it yesterday. Now I can play on-line against my co-workers and also listen to my music as well.

I do agree that I will end up spending a little more on the PSP because of the fact that I need to large duo memory stick. I ended up purchasing the 2GB stick, thanks to some promos and a credit I had with an online store I only ended up paying $100 for it so I didn't have to take a heavy hit on it. Still I would say go for it and then save up some more money when the PS3 or Xbox 360 finally are no longer in demand. In the meantime enjoy your portable gaming powerhouse.

Collapse -
psp
by crugg / January 9, 2006 1:36 AM PST

If you are a true portable gamer, the psp may not be for you. It has long load times and is fragile due to its high gloss and stylish screen as well as black shiny body. I am not saying that the psp is not worth the money or is a bad system, I think it has great potential, due to the wireless capabilities it has. But if you want a portable gaming device that will give you very long battery life as well as not bee to expensive don't get the psp.

Collapse -
there is no question The PSP is the best portable gaming dev
by mjaine / January 13, 2006 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: psp

The only portable gaming device in my opinion, unless your into childrens games, then get yourself the cheaper Nintendo.Having said that I only play it when traveling, otherwise I prefer areal console. I'd leave the music For the true music players though.

Collapse -
PSP is fine overall. If you're heavy into music, ....
by ackmondual / January 10, 2006 4:01 AM PST

....get video ipod.

AFAIK, sound is better on vid ipod. If you also need the capacity, then def vid ipod as well. You'll be spending hundreds of extra $$ on the PSP for less space.

Else, If you're a casual music listener or don't need all that space, or also want vid gaming. then PSP

Collapse -
Get the PSP, no doubt
by slinky702 / January 14, 2006 9:50 AM PST

I bought the PSP bcuz of the hype. Once i got used to it, i never touched my other systems. Games look great. Late night movies look & sound great. Just recently, i surfed the net on it. How cool is that?That's like having a portable computer everywhere u go. Just having the capability of surfing the net was worth it alone; plus the small size factor. U really have to test it out at home and when ur out and about to truly appreciate the PSP. The only bad thing about the PSP is the load time of the games. Some say that it's fragile. I say, just be careful with it. Afterall, it's not a kid's toy to be thrown around like some of the other portable game machines. That's why the PSP costs more. It's not meant to be thrown around. Buy it. Test it out for 14 days or whatever the store terms are. If u change ur mind, take it back.
As far as music, i use an ipod for that. Nuff said.

Collapse -
yea
by Harajuku_man / January 21, 2006 2:50 AM PST

its way worth it ideally it should be 350. but yea its awsume theres so much you can do with it... just go get it

Collapse -
How much would you pay for a PS3 then?
by ackmondual / January 21, 2006 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: yea

Given what we know about it now? $400? $600? I'm sure some ppl may find it to be worth that much.... and even be right about it with their reasoning from their point of view, but it still helps to make these things as inexpensive as possible.

Collapse -
psp is worth the money?
by david170 / January 22, 2006 10:07 AM PST

you can put movies,pictures,free games,internet come what more can you ask for.

Collapse -
how about a PDA ;)
by ackmondual / January 22, 2006 2:00 PM PST

They have their share of free legal games, movies, music, pictures, internet, and can run buttloads of Palm OS and Pocket PC software.

Collapse -
RE:
by saurabhs / January 22, 2006 10:18 AM PST

well if u buy the giga pack then you can almost use it as a rly small ipod
then it plays games
think of it as a 1 gb portable media player that can play RLY cool games
but to determine the size you have memory cards!!!

Collapse -
Wait for the prices to go down
by Self-Destruction / January 25, 2006 5:52 AM PST

PSP is great, but if you don't have the money then don't get it. I have seen it and all my friends have it, but I guess I don't need it that much. $200 is a bit too expensive, but if you want it that badly then go for it.

Make sure you have a large memory card for storing music and video;).

Collapse -
I got PSP for $200
by djdude / February 10, 2006 11:42 PM PST

I was in the same situiation as You (Ipod or PSP)
The PSP had more features so I went with that.
I ordered mine at www.overstock.com I found a 20% off coupon and Shipping was free on my first order, There was also no tax which can save you a lot if you get it at a store.
Then I got used games which were cheaper. I went to circuitcity.com and got a $10 memory with 256mb.

Dude I payed $300 for a PSP,2 Games,1 Memory Card, and a Case!!!

You can really save money on the net!

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Giga Pack
by jm48 / February 12, 2006 1:04 AM PST

Yes, the PSP is worth the money, but get the Giga Pack. The extra $50 is worth it for a 1GB memory card. I do not think that the price will drop for a while.

Collapse -
Depends on just how patient you are.....
by ackmondual / February 12, 2006 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Giga Pack

After the one year mark, I'd guess nothing significant. But give it 2+ years and we may begin to see significant changes. Some ppl are early adaptors and like to dive in.... pay the near full MSRP and weather any potential bugs and early versions. Others don't mind waiting for years... and they'll get it when it's much cheaper or a new model comes out. I can attest to this. I've known ppl who wait 1.5 years for the price of new PC/console games to go down to less than half their price

Collapse -
YA
by dukefan23 / February 13, 2006 12:56 AM PST

Its worth the money. It is a mp3 player(80 dollars)A portable game player(130 dollars(compared to DS) a movie/ video player(100 bucks) a photo viewer(100 bucks) and A wifi web browser I dont know how much that would cost.

If you want it cheaper buy it used or wait till the ps3 comes out

Oh the psp can also play live tv with a location free base.

That all totals to 420 dollars and the costs are assuming that you get a giga pack

Collapse -
All things come to those who wait
by bokkieiom / February 17, 2006 5:59 AM PST

Eric I love electronics everybody does but I and everyone else is going for the psp. I desperatly would like to buy one but it is going to expensive.

My advice is to wait and keep an eye on the prices and features see other consoles as well and compare.

PSP is a great thing but needs slight adjustments to small things which I bet will be improved on.

For me and my dad we are going to wait for a good value psp or for the PSP2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.