Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PSIService.exe

by Fish / December 29, 2006 8:42 PM PST

Can anyone tell me what this is? I've never seen it before but it is now showing in my task manager.I tried google but make no sense of the results.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSIService.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSIService.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PSIService.exe
by tomron / December 29, 2006 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: PSIService.exe

The only thing i can find is that it is probably here

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe

Try running some programs,such as spybot,trojan hunter,and an anti virus Heres a LINK for some programs.

Tom

Collapse -
I only found a couple of
by roddy32 / December 29, 2006 11:11 PM PST

possibilities Fish. It might have been installed with a game if you downloaded or installed pne recently. It also might be part of Panda antivirus if you either have that or have used the online scan recently. Do you know where it is on the computer??

Collapse -
Tom and Roddy
by Fish / December 30, 2006 12:01 AM PST

Thank's to both of you for your reply.I just found that it is part of Paint Shop Pro which I did install recently.I only noticed PSIService.exe today and got suspisous.Thanks again for the help.Fish

Collapse -
(NT) Good deal Fish, Glad you got it figured out.
by roddy32 / December 30, 2006 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Tom and Roddy
Collapse -
part of Paint Shop Pro...
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 30, 2006 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Tom and Roddy

Hi Fish,

which version of PSP did you install?? I have several different versions of PSP on my computers...... but I do NOT have PSIService.exe.....

Collapse -
Marianna
by tomron / December 30, 2006 5:45 AM PST

To save everyone time.When i searched this hjt listed this unknown,i know that doesn't solve it,but may narrow it down.

Tom

Collapse -
Tom, I just found the exe on......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 30, 2006 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Marianna
Collapse -
I didn't know about WhatsRunning.net
by tomron / December 30, 2006 6:03 AM PST

I looked HERE and HERE,to no avail.

HJT lists it here in :C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe

Tom

Collapse -
I found the same entry ....
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 30, 2006 6:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Whew!!
by Fish / December 30, 2006 6:23 AM PST

lol. Marianna I just posted before seeing your all clear.Thank you very much and thanks again to Tom and Roddy.

Collapse -
Marianna
by tomron / December 30, 2006 6:44 AM PST

I can't read the second link,what language is it.

Tom

Collapse -
(NT) Dutch
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 30, 2006 7:53 AM PST
Collapse -
PSIS
by Fish / December 30, 2006 6:21 AM PST

ok here goes
First off I have Paint Shop Pro Photo X1 installed.
I found the file in system32 folder after searching my PC for it.
I searched the Paint folder and saw it listed.Right click and opening properties showed the following

Pf file(prefetch)
Protexis Inc.
170 KB
Application
n Titles

Im not too good at explaning this stuff.I certainly appreciate all of your help on this.Any more thoughts?

Collapse -
Well,if you installed it...
by tomron / December 30, 2006 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: PSIS

and you want it,there is no problem.If you don't want it you can remove it in add/remove.

Tom

Collapse -
Protexis Licensing Service
by Lord_Baul / June 27, 2007 8:02 PM PDT

PSIService.exe = "Protexis Licensing Service", and is used by Corel...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe

Part of the Protexis (http://www.protexis.com) copy protection and license management software. This will typically be installed by other software that uses this to protect itself from being illegally copied. This is found in Paint "Shop Pro Photo XI"... This startup entry is installed as a Windows NT, 2000, 2003, or XP service. You can disable this by going to

START > CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > SERVICES

Find ProtexisLicensing in the list, double click it, then change the "Startup type:" to DISABLED

Collapse -
Thank You
by wphughes / February 14, 2009 9:04 AM PST

This was driving me nuts it clogged up my event viewer

Collapse -
Thanks for for this post!
by ryromero12 / November 17, 2010 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

My memory was getting eaten up by this psi service. I followed your instructions to diable and now I am running much faster! Thank you Lord_Baul!

Collapse -
Paint Shop Pro Photo X1
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 30, 2006 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: PSIS
Collapse -
Marianna
by Fish / December 30, 2006 9:15 AM PST

Thank you for confirming that Im good to go.
I think your daughter will really like the new software.
Thank's also for the newsgroup.It will be handy.
Have a Happy New Year.>))))*>

Collapse -
Fish......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 30, 2006 9:25 AM PST

You Are Very Welcome Happy

Photo X1 looked very interesting to me... guess, I also have to buy it for myself......

Happy New Year to you too ! Happy

Collapse -
PSIService.exe
by patrick150 / January 17, 2007 3:24 AM PST

I received the following information from Protexis, who owns this program, which is used to verify that there is a legitimate software license. I am running the latest Corel Paint Shop Pro.

======================================================
Thanks for contacting Protexis Support,

You're correct; Protexis provides licensing services for Corel. A license check is performed each time you start your Corel product to verify a valid license is present on your machine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Collapse -
This is old topic but yes, it's Protexis licensing as per
by Donna Buenaventura / April 30, 2007 1:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
PSIService.exe
by seriously.tho / April 29, 2007 6:31 PM PDT

This is a service created from Protexx S.I.T.H. which is a company program which is under development by the Protexis Corporation. Protexx S.I.T.H. is a program used to alter your IP address and mask it using their secured VPN Network. Currently the program is trial software for 60days and can be found on Google. PSIService is the lincensing service used by S.I.T.H. to determine when your trial license is up and when you should renew your service with Protexis. the program isn't harmful it's just using up system resources, Go to Run, type msconfig and hit Enter.

Your System Configuration Utility will pop up. Click the Services Tab and scroll down the list and look for ProtexisLicensing and unclick the check mark in front of it, then click Apply down at the bottom. Close the box and it will ask you if you want to restart your computer but you don't have to. Open up your Task Manager and end the process of PSIService.exe. When you finally do restart your computer you'll get this window that pops up for your Sys. Config. Util., Click the box to not show this again and close the box.

Collapse -
PSIService.exe
by SkyThrill / September 1, 2007 9:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
PSIService.exe
by ecgs8 / March 23, 2011 11:13 AM PDT

PSIService.exe by Protexis, which installs a Protexis Licensing service or Protexis Licensing V2, apparently it's a spyware for CNET.

I use CNET for most of my downloads, I like it because it's a safe web site, and they let me know whenever there is an update for anything I've downloaded from them.

Collapse -
(NT) This thread you replied to is from 2006.
by roddy32 / March 23, 2011 12:24 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.