Samsung forum

Question

PS50C6500 No MKV Subtitle over DLNA?

by Vicousvern / May 17, 2012 5:08 AM PDT

Hi, I am unable to watch .mkv files via DLNA with subtitles enabled. I have a network attached storage device (Zyxel NSA210) which contains all my content and saves me the hassle of streaming from a computer.

I have tried renaming both the .mkv and .srt the same and placing them in the same location. I've also tried re-muxing the container renaming the tracks the same, both to no avail.

I've tested the above via USB and that works fine, my question is why wont the same working .mkv work over DLNA with subtitles?

Any help at all would be appreciated, on a side note I also have access to the Service Menu and the hidden options if anyone knows a feature to toggle this in there.

Also streaming from a PC is not an option for me I bought the NAS device so I don't have to, otherwise the TV is brilliant, this is my single only gripe.

Regards,
Vern

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS50C6500 No MKV Subtitle over DLNA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS50C6500 No MKV Subtitle over DLNA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2012 5:41 AM PDT

Many have noticed that USB, DLNA playing features do not match. Never has and apparently never will.

It's a good gripe but for now you should save your time and go with what works.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Vicousvern / May 18, 2012 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

Thank you for the reply, at least I know not to hold my breath waiting for an update.

Instead I'm considering SamyGo, already downgraded my firmware for when I decide to give it ago and have read up enough on it.

If anyone is remotely interested I shall share my results at a later date.

A note to any other C6500 users out there I recommend changing the model number to C8000 (possible with newer firmware), various menus are animated now, looks much more pleasant.

- Vern

Collapse -
Answer
re:
by tyrexden / May 18, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

The TV won't recognize embedded subtitles in mkv's... The DLNA has nothing to do with it...

What you have to do is extract the subtitle file out of mkv using a software, then place the newly created subtitle file in the same directory as the movie.

Collapse -
reply:
by Vicousvern / May 18, 2012 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

I've already tried this and mentioned this works for USB and not DLNA as R. Proffitt stated. Unless you have a .mkv with accompanying .srt that I could test, otherwise I'm almost certain subtitles do not work over DLNA.

I even tried this with a couple of mkv clips, unless the issue lies with exporting the .srt a specific way or with a certain character set (I used MKVCleaver and just exported the subtitle track).

Collapse -
Then the long hard method? The name only this time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2012 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: reply:
Collapse -
Way too much effort for any one.
by Vicousvern / May 18, 2012 9:09 PM PDT

Thanks but thats a big task, re-encoding all that stuff, I'd rather find an alternative, thats why I'd rather risk bricking my TV through rooting rather than spend weeks hard subbing. Thank you though.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.