Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 wi-fi problems

by helebor / August 31, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

Just got a PS3 slim and am incredibly frustrated that I can't get it hooked up online via wi-fi.

I know wi-fi works in our house, as our second computer logs online in this way. I also know the PS3 is picking up the signal, since it shows up in the scan.

But, when I go through all the settings, including typing in the correct WPA key, the PS3 says "A connection to the access point could not be established. Check the security settings for the wireless LAN 8013013E".

Can anyone walk me through this? I've gone into my router settings, but have no idea what to change/note to get the PS3 online.

Oh, my router is a DI-524 Wireless Broadband Router. D-Link.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 wi-fi problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 wi-fi problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try it PER our networking forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2009 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3 wi-fi problems

I find some overdo the router settings. That is they'll set MAC filters or hide the SSID broadcast.

In short.

1. Router defaults except what the ISP requires to connect.
2. WPA only!
3. Simple SSID. No spaces, dashes etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Did that, I think
by helebor / August 31, 2009 3:19 AM PDT

As far as I can tell, everything is in simple default mode - I'm just using the "easy" set-up on the PS3 and I haven't touched anything on the router from the way it was set-up initially.

Collapse -
Think versus knowing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2009 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Did that, I think

I've found many forget what they did so its time to reset the router and try one more time. This setup is rather unforgiving if one tiny setting is off.

Collapse -
Thanks
by helebor / September 3, 2009 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Think versus knowing.

Thanks for the advice. Was kind of scared to reset the router and screw up the internet throughout the house - ended up finding a way to run a wire from the two rooms instead (whoo-hoo for unused central vac ports!).

But thanks again!

Collapse -
THANK YOU
by DiamondsWithaZ / July 27, 2012 2:45 PM PDT

You sir, deserve a medal!
I spent 2 hours trying to fix the problem and was 2 seconds away from resetting my settings on my PS3 to default.
I simply restored my router/modem to default settings, changed the SSID to one word (previously it had a dash or a space) and VOILA!
THANK YOU

Collapse -
Thanks for this. HOWEVER this advice is outdated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU

It's pretty close but with the new kid friendly WPA cracking tools out there my new advice changes to WPA2 AES personal security and again, NO SPACES or characters other than 0 to 9, a to z.

Short is fine. There's some advice about "strong passwords" but take that with a grain of salt.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved without any modifications in PS3 settings
by alex_radiolynx / November 2, 2010 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3 wi-fi problems

I confronted the same problem with my PS3. It was not from the start. Just appeared one day. None of the solutions found on forums worked for me and I refused to drop the wi-fi option and to use a wired conection.

Finally I managed to have back my 17 Mbps download and 9 Mbps upload connection on my PS3. And, ofcourse, my MAG sessions Happy

The problem is not in the PS3, but outside. Look in the proximity of the PS3 at other electronic equipment that might interfere with the PS3 wi-fi signal. In my case it was the wi-fi TV&Video transmitter. I moved-it 35 inches to the left and the PS3 wi-fi connection worked again as a charm.

I intend to post a demo video to prove how much this thing is influencing the PS3 wi-fi functionality here:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=6&uid=105596622840585#!/topic.php?uid=105596622840585&topic=6

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.