Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 - Universal Voltage (100~240V)

by arun4k / October 11, 2007 7:25 PM PDT

I have got a 60GB PS3 Purchased in USA.I usally decide any purchase based on CNET Reviews. but this time I was blank about this Voltage.

The PS3 has a Label on the Back saying it is 120V 3.2 A 60 Hz. But I live in Asia. Here the Voltage is 220V. So i was shocked. I have not pluged the instrument till now because i am confused.

I sent sony a mail, and their reply was very simple and they do not speak about it anymore.

I searched in goole and many forums about PS3 says the PS3 has a universal power supply inside and they change the label according to the region.

I also found a Youtube video showimg someone pluging the PS3 directly into a 220V supply but it has a 120V on the label.

Many users also confirm the same all over the world.

But I turely belive only in words of CNET.

So please confirm me whether the PS3 Purchased in USA has a Universal power supply unit inside. ie(100~240V 50/60 Hz)

Arun Kumar.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 - Universal Voltage (100~240V)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 - Universal Voltage (100~240V)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wouldn't take any chances
by Jimmy Greystone / October 12, 2007 2:59 AM PDT

I wouldn't take any chances with an expensive piece of hardware like the PS3. I would go out and get a power transformer/adapter just to be on the safe side. It's a minor expense when compared against frying your PS3 and having to buy a new one.

Collapse -
Arun, Have u tried plugging it in yet?
by cagedbutfree / November 18, 2007 4:26 PM PST

I also have a similar problem (got a PS3 from the US!) live in India 220V ~ 50 Hz so was wondering whether should return it back or just try my luck by plugging it in to the power socket.
Though most of the forums say that is has an inbuilt unoversal power converter, but wanted to check in this forum if u have got any other solution. Have u plugged it already Arun? Please do reply.

Collapse -
PS3 - Power supply
by arun4k / November 19, 2007 1:20 PM PST

Ya man I have taken the Risk of Pluging it into 220V supply.
I works Fine.
Dont woory about it , I am sure all PS3 are universal supply.

You can Plug it directly to Indian Power supply.

Collapse -
Thanks m8
by cagedbutfree / November 19, 2007 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: PS3 - Power supply

Waiting for my PS3 AV cord now Sad the ****** forgot it there (US) trying to find it in Pune..would you have any idea, where to find it in India - PS3 AV cord or maybe a Composite one?

Collapse -
ps3 cable
by arun4k / November 20, 2007 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks m8

Yo Man,

You check it in

You will find it.

Collapse -
help with us ps3 trying to make it work in india
by SINGH_THE_KING / July 4, 2008 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: ps3 cable

hi guys

i have just bought 80gb ps3 and i am wondering how to make it work in india does it have universal power supply and can i use it without a power converter please help me and give me some proof that it does have a universal power supply.

thanks in advance

Collapse -
Look at your unit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2008 5:39 AM PDT

The markings should tell you the valid AC voltage input range. I will never guess on this and since you have the unit you should be able to read off what is there.

Collapse -
i did
by SINGH_THE_KING / July 4, 2008 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at your unit.

on the unit its only says 100v
but people are telling me that inside it says 100v/240v
i just need confirm that if it has universal power supply

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2008 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: i did
Collapse -
me again
by SINGH_THE_KING / July 4, 2008 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Again...

hi guys its me again

i was wondering if i could use a ps2 220v power cord which i have for the ps3 will it work ? will it fit in and work nicely?

help me please

thanks in advance

Collapse -
another question
by SINGH_THE_KING / July 5, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: me again

hey guys

if i can't use a ps2 cord on the ps3 where can i get a 220v power cord the one on which the front pins are round. i am in America right now so help me and tell me where to get one

thanks in advance

Collapse -
will this work?
by SINGH_THE_KING / July 5, 2008 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: another question
Collapse -
Unsure if I can help here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2008 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: me again

I supplied a link with pictures about the unit in question. You need to look at yours closely. If it only notes 100 or such Volts then your choice to chance it. I know I wouldn't.

Collapse -
by torque430 / August 4, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3 - Power supply

I have a ps3 40gb from america and i was wondering whether you can plug it directly into a 240V(indian) outlet? the label says 120V~3A 60hz
can you plug it directly or do you need a converter? please tell me i need help really badly.

Collapse -
See above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2008 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: help

If that doesn't answer it then use the power converter from 240 to 120.

Collapse -
A Lesson Learnt in the Hard Way!
by pkv197 / August 12, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

Hi Arun!

I would just give you a piece of friendly advice...

I also did purchase a Sony PS3 100V 3.5A [Made in Japan]version from Singapore in May 08..I got it checked it in the shop where I purchased it, worked absolutely fine..(FYI Singapore also works on 230V AC)..

I brought it to India and used it for hardly less than 30 worked fine..but the unit suddenly turned off and its not turning ON since then! The standby Red LED glows, but when I try to power it ON..the Red light turns into green for a split second and turns into a blinking Red LED mode.. till now I have not got a solution to this problem!

I have contacted Sony India, Singapore and Japan.. but as proper response from them..they say that I have send the entire unit back to Japan, where they would repair this unit and give it..that too on a charged basis..they are not even giving me warranty for this unit...

I have diagnosed the problem and found that the power supply unit has gone faulty..I was also misguided by people saying that..the PS3 has got a built-in multi power adopter..which is false!

Please send it or sell it back to the region from where you bought it.else you will end up in m state!

Collapse -
ps3 help
by sgopiani / August 21, 2008 6:33 AM PDT

im in canada right now and i goin to get a ps3 will it be ok in the uk to use if i get a pc cable for my region plz answer fast

Collapse -
by huggybear1976 / August 22, 2008 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ps3 help

Just buy a kettle lead or PC lead when you get back to the UK and use that. It is dual-voltage, but Sony don't say much about it because they would rather you buy the local PS3 which they make more money from. I've got the 80GB MGS4 package (bought last week while on holiday in the USA) and it works fine in the UK. Also make sure the fuse in the plug is a 5amp fuse.

Collapse -
Thank You
by sgopiani / August 30, 2008 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3

Thank You very much for your help.
Just one more question to make sure.
I was told by my cousin in canada that the japan one is universal but the us one is not.
Is that true?

Collapse -
by huggybear1976 / August 30, 2008 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

Hi, your cousin has that a slightly wrong. The power supplies are the same all over the world inside (110-240V), but on the North American console it only says 120V on the outside label. The Japanese ones tell you more detail. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago and it is fine in the UK. Sony would rather you buy the British version because they make more money. You'll save about

Collapse -
PS3 80GB from US to India
by siddhartha_sinha1234 / January 1, 2009 9:45 PM PST

Hi Karthik,

I have bought an 80GB latest model from US in Dec and tried running in india using cheap voltage converter and faced the same issues like yours where system switched on and green light get blinked for some time and then back to red status. Then I packed back the system back.

I bought good power converter from market in Rs-500 and started running the system without any issue and only problem i face is that after some time system get switch off due to heating but if i run with good ventilation then it runs smoothly

Please try with good voltage converter and let me know.

Collapse -
Power convertor NOT needed
by huggybear1976 / January 1, 2009 11:29 PM PST

You don't need a power convertor. That is probably why you are having problems with it turning on and off. Just buy a PC or kettle lead with a 5 amp fuse in it and it will work directly from 240V. I am from the United Kingdom and we use the exact same volts and plug as India.

Collapse -
PS3 - problem
by Ashokg80 / April 14, 2009 9:33 AM PDT

Hey Sid,

Can you help me out in the specs of power adoptor you bought for PS3?
I tried with a 110v adoptor which costs around 250, but its not working. Can you gimme the details pleas..

Collapse -
power converter
by SMOKE911 / September 2, 2008 4:36 PM PDT

Get a power converter

Collapse -
by huggybear1976 / September 2, 2008 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: power converter

What for?! The PS3 has worldwide voltage (110-240V). A power convertor is NOT needed.

Collapse -
Not all types have dual voltage
by mrlogin / November 23, 2008 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: PS3

u need to look for 110~240 on the label to be Dual Voltage....

some PS3 are FOR JAPAN USE ONLY and this type and other PS designed for certain region doesn't have dual voltage so be careful before bulging it in.

Collapse -
Yes they do
by huggybear1976 / November 23, 2008 9:20 PM PST

Ignore this comment above. The consoles don't tell you they are dual voltage on the outside label, even the JAPAN USE ONLY ones. The reason Sony do this is that they WANT YOU to buy the local machine made for the specific country you live in. They make more money from them. For example the PS3 80GB cost $399.99 (about

Collapse -
Tell me
by sgopiani / November 24, 2008 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Yes they do

See Can some one give me some proof of your own ps3 opened up and showing that it is universal and with the UK power cord just for satisfaction you know what im saying. i just want a photo or a video on youtube !!!
Well thank you in advance!!!!

Collapse -
US PS3 in UK
by huggybear1976 / November 24, 2008 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Tell me

I bought the US MGS4 80GB package while over in the USA on holiday and it works fine in the UK. Just replace the power cord with a standard kettle lead with a 5amp fuse in it. Look on YouTube for many videos and pictures by typing in "Universal PS3". You will see proof on there.

Collapse -
by sgopiani / November 24, 2008 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: US PS3 in UK

oh thanks i didnt think bout tht lol i no im abit stuped Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.