Sony

General discussion

PS3 to HOme Theater System

by anymo21 / June 7, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

Hi, I want to know the best way to connect my PS3 to a home theater system. I'm going to buy a home theater system, something loud, good quality, and cheap.(I'm looking at the Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX285). The thing is, I know you can connect the PS3 to receiver and the receiver to TV, but I'm going to watch blu-ray movies and I don't want to loose video quality through a receiver that up scales to 1080p. Would I loose video quality if I connect the PS3 to a receiver then TV? The TV is an 1080p HD Samsung TV. I havent watch bluray movies YET, just regular DVD through the PS3.Can you also recommend some home theater systems? Thank You, I'll appreciate the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 to HOme Theater System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 to HOme Theater System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS3 Hookup
by Jeff Marquardt / June 7, 2009 7:55 PM PDT

I'm an installer for Digital EDGE in MD, www.GetDtvReady.com
There are a few ways to do this. First of all you will get the same quality (up to 1080p) if you use component (green, red, blue) cable, or an HDMI to your TV. The advantage of the HDMI is that it will also carry the audio surround sound signal.
If I were you I would use HDMI to the TV and then a digital optical cable from the TV to a surround sound receiver. This way you can get surround sound signal to the receiver for whatever the TV is watching, not just the PS3. This will cut down on the number of digital cables you need to plug into the receiver. It's also cool because you won't have to constantly switch the input on the receiver to match what you have on your TV. It will just stay on the TV input.
Keeps it simple.
Good Luck!

Collapse -
Good info!!
by Eikozai / January 16, 2012 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: PS3 Hookup

Exactly what i'm looking for!! Thanks for your information Grin

Collapse -
receiver
by bearvp / June 7, 2009 11:58 PM PDT

If you are worried about losing video quality by running your PS3 to your receiver first and then the receiver to the TV, then buy a receiver that does HDMI passthrough. HDMI passthrough will merely 'pass' the video signal received from the PS3 directly to the TV without altering it with upconversion or any other video processing. That way you can also take advantage of the DTS-HD and TrueHD sound from the Blu-ray format since the PS3 requires you to use a HDMI cable for those audio codecs.

If you goto avsforum.com and goto their receiver section in their forums you should be able to easily find out if certain receivers have the HDMI passthrough option. You can also call/email the manufacturers and ask them.

Collapse -
EDIT
by bearvp / June 8, 2009 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: receiver

Just to clarify, by HDMI passthrough I mean the receiver will accept the audio and video signal from the PS3/Blu-ray player and pass the video portion of the signal onto the TV without altering it. Some receivers let you specify an output resolution for HDMI so you can set it to 'passthrough' or whatever they call it. Some people will call HDMI passthrough as something different so when you are finding out with manufacturers, make sure this is what you are looking for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.