Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

PS3 on board now; How can I improve my wireless connection

by Rollbar / November 26, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I'm using the wireless conection of my PS3 but only getting about 45% signal strength. Must be the location under the TV and several walls between the router and the PS3. Wife (upstairs overtop of the router) gets much better with her access point/desktop.

Can I use a Linksys access point with the PS3 to improve the signal strength? USB connection?

Thanks,

Roll

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 on board now; How can I improve my wireless connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 on board now; How can I improve my wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / November 26, 2007 4:48 AM PST

You could get an after market antenna that has a higher transmit power to it, or you could get a repeater, but other than that, the only real solution is to move the router or the console.

Collapse -
Or run..
by Rollbar / November 26, 2007 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: No

... cable to the PS3. Bummer.

Roll

Collapse -
Let me share...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2007 9:50 AM PST

That I own a refurb Netgear WPNT834 which didn't get a great review and I connect just fine two houses down the street. I have not fitted any antenna.

Bob

Collapse -
LOL...
by Rollbar / November 26, 2007 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: Let me share...

I have suspected once or twice that my good neighbors might be cruisin' the world wide on my dime in spite of encryption.

Well, not sure what to do. Must be the location since, as I said, the wife in her office upstairs connects at 90% or more. The PS3 is located on the same floor as the router but on the other side of the house and under the TV which I suspect, (for no technical reason I understand), might affect the signal strength.

I can run RJ45 through the floor in my office, into the basement, and up in the room with the PS3 but it's a pain in the back, (literally; I have a bad back).

Otherwise, I can only juggle the unit around on the three shelves here and there since I have no other place to put it other than the shelf/stand the TV sits on.

If I get an aftermarket antenna would I have to open the case to install it? Can I simply plug it in to a port on the PS3?

Thanks all for the help...

Roll

Collapse -
So far...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2007 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: LOL...
Collapse -
Looks like a good solution but....
by Rollbar / November 28, 2007 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: So far...

... I'm not sure there is a place on the PS3 to connect the antenna.

I'll have to look at the box tonight. Tried to figure it out by looking at pictures of a PS3 on line but can't determine if there is a place to hook up an antenna.

Roll

Collapse -
(NT) I put the antenna on my router...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2007 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
LOL... oh
by Rollbar / November 29, 2007 2:10 AM PST

I'll check that out.

Collapse -
Antenna placement
by yoyo60 / November 29, 2007 5:10 AM PST

The antenna is designed to increase the signal output of the router and does not attach to the PS3.

Collapse -
Will be solving this problem this weekend
by Rollbar / November 29, 2007 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: Antenna placement

I decided to just run cat5. I have cable, ends and the tools, so I'll make up a cable and run it under the floor (ceiling of the basement) from my router to the PS3.

Wanted to avoid this but decided might as well bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions....

Gary

Collapse -
Add-on worked the best
by Redsand7 / November 30, 2007 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: LOL...

I had similar issues when I first got my PS3 last year, but found that simply adding an aftermarket esternal antennae to the router (found mine at Fry's for $9.99) I now average signal strength between 85-100%.

It is incredibly easy to pick one of these up at just about any electronics store and your router should have a jack or port to screw the antennae into.

Hope this helps, as I didn't have the option of running a wire direct to the back of the PS3 (always the best option) due to the age and layout of my house.

Collapse -
(NT) is there and antena you can add to the ps3 and how would you
by fernysalaz / November 18, 2009 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Add-on worked the best
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.