Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PS3 HDTV problem

by eddiemon / December 29, 2009 2:30 PM PST

I plugged my PS3 slimm to my Toshiba HDTV. It switched the audio/video output from composite to HDMI. It displayed that it is using 1080p but when I moved to the next page after the video details. My screen became blank and showed weird sparkles and flashes. Now I can't figure out how to fix my PS3 display. I've tried both composite and HDMI outputs. Composite is blank and HDMI input has sparkles. Is there a way to make the PS3 recognize HDMI again like resetting it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 HDTV problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 HDTV problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by eddiemon / December 29, 2009 2:54 PM PST
In reply to: PS3 HDTV problem

Now I tried resrtting my PS3 my holding the power button. It displays now. It askes me stuff about optimal settings then it goes blank and flashes for awhile. I go to display settings to the screen where it has checkboxes for 480p, 720p, 1080p. When I check all of them and press X, my screen goes blank and sparkles again.

Collapse -
by eddiemon / December 29, 2009 3:27 PM PST
In reply to: ..

now when I use the automatic or custom option, it flashes awhile and goes back to the automatic/custom selection screen. Even when i reset my ps3 and set it to optimal settings. It says 480p on the output settings. I've gotten 1080p before when I transferred it from composite to HDMI.

Collapse -
1080p not working
by eddiemon / December 29, 2009 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: hdmi

Now it can support all except 1080p...It flashes

Collapse -
Check your TV
by Jimmy Greystone / December 29, 2009 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: PS3 HDTV problem

Check your TV, and make certain that it supports 1080p. It should say somewhere on the box, or a spec sheet that it has a resolution of 1920x1080, and if you don't see that, you don't have a 1080p TV and the problem is solved. TV makers have adopted a rather confusing naming system for TVs. A 720p set is "HD" while a 1080p set is "Full HD".

Some TVs have odd resolutions like 1333x768, and they might be billed as 1080i, when really they're just scaling the image. You're likely to have problems with these sets if your PS3 is set to 1080p.

But with only "Toshiba HDTV" to go on, you're going to have to do the legwork to find out if your TV is actually capable of 1080p, or if what you saw that first time was a glitch.

Collapse -
by eddiemon / December 30, 2009 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: Check your TV

toshiba 42zv650U
it supports 1080p, but somehow when i check all boxes for ps3, it just sends me back to the checkboxes after flashes. The max right now is 1080i. Maybe could be my hdmi cable? The package SAYS its for 1080p

Collapse -
by pcgamer4life / January 6, 2010 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: 1080p

If your 100% sure that your tv is 1080p then the next thing I would do is check the resolution you have your PS3 set to. But to me it sounds like your tv does not handle 1080p it might just do 1080i.

Collapse -
Not sure of what you are doing
by coastie65 / January 9, 2010 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: 1080p

I have a Toshiba Regza 42". I have a PS2 hooked up by way of composite and the PS3 using HDMI. I don't remeber going throuhg a lot as far as the set up goes except for the wireless internet connection. The TV maybe 1080p capable as well as the PS3. Broadcast HD programs are at 720p as are the Games for the PS3. AS for BluRay movies , I don't know as I haven't watched any as yet. Anyway, I may have missed it, but you need to use an HDMI cable to get the fullest from your PS3, but as to adjusting for the resolution, this should not be necessary, either in the PS3 or the TV. It will be automatically detected according to the media you have in the PS3 and with games that is generally 720p. 420p is what you would get using an RGB composite hook up. coastie

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.