TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

PS3 HDTV Connection Problem (720p/1080i Sound Delay)

by Dutchens / July 13, 2008 4:36 PM PDT

I'll try to explain this little problem in the best way. Sorry for the length, but it should be easy to understand so hopefully someone can help me out.

Setup;
- 250GB HDD (originally 40GB).
- Hooked up to 32" Sony Bravia KDL32M3000 (max: 1080i) with HDMI.

Issue;
- PS3 display settings - 1080i: Works fine.
- PS3 display settings - 720p: Sound becomes delayed when playing a game.

You know how with some TVs when you start up a game the screen kinda blanks out and pops back alive really quick? I know that's normal...

... but,

When the display settings are set to 720p, the sound can become delayed after that. So after starting a game - and I mean any game (disc, PSN, even F@H), the sound goes out of sync, even after quitting and coming back to the XMB. Another odd thing is that the delay duration varies every time. The longest was almost a full second.

Display setting 1080i does not do that.

How I temporarily fix this;
While playing a game (being out of sync and all), I can change the channel on the TV and come right back to HDMI 1 (video channel I'm playing on) and the sound will be back in sync. So it seems like the delay is caused by the 'video source' change when starting or exiting a game.

Things I know;
- It's not the cable. I have tried different HDMI cables. Same problem with all.
- It's not the port on the TV. I tried this with my 360. Stays in sync.

Possible causes?;
- The PS3 itself? Maybe the 5400RPM 250GB HDD is too slow to keep up? (but then again, I can temporarily fix the issue...).

Remember, this only happens with 720p.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 HDTV Connection Problem (720p/1080i Sound Delay)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 HDTV Connection Problem (720p/1080i Sound Delay)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
possible cause...
by shamelessbill / July 13, 2008 11:05 PM PDT

I had the same problem that you are having.. Sony has put out an up date for the original software, I dont know if you mirror'd the software from your old hard drive... but if you hook up your PS3 to the internet then it should say that a newer version of your software is available. it is a 1050MB download so be prepared to wait awhile. (PS3s download slow!!) But, after you do that your issue should be fixed. It has helped me. If that does dot work then I would contact PS3's help desk and explain the problem... hope that helps!! good luck....

Collapse -
that's too bad, i hope it gets solved
by jostenmeat / July 13, 2008 11:18 PM PDT

just fyi, you listed "Hooked up to 32" Sony Bravia KDL32M3000 (max: 1080i) with HDMI." Quick glance looks like 768p native, so i would guess 720p would be the desired output.

Matching output with native resolution is best. I was going to say that just use 1080i since there's no lag, and its the native resolution that you listed, but Im glad I checked before opening my mouth.

Collapse -
Ps3 sound delay with hdmi
by Young_jerzed / January 14, 2010 2:36 PM PST

I had the same sound delay problem with my ps3 system.. Solution thatworked for me: goto sound audio selection, choose the hdmi tab, then the manual setup, and uncheck the Dolby 5.1 box and check the acc box. Good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.