Video Games & Consoles

General discussion

ps3 HDMI - DVI-I Sound question

by scottsivard / January 3, 2007 8:25 AM PST

Hey I just got a ps3 a bit ago (I'm a true gamer and just want the systems in case if a good game comes out [FFXIII, MGS, and Devil May Cry] other wise I'm totally for The Big N and Microsoft.) but anyways I wanna connect my ps3 to my monitor because my big screen doesn't have HDMI and I don't ever plan on getting a game for it that is multiplayer "fun". So with that said my computer has a DVI-I input so I ordered an HDMI to DVI converter and I'm going to through that in but as I understand DVI doesn't support sound like HDMI does so can I just plug the s-video or component cables from my ps3 to my speakers and will that work, or how would I go about doing that? Thank you in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ps3 HDMI - DVI-I Sound question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ps3 HDMI - DVI-I Sound question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Play PS3 in DVI monitor
by surfmedia / February 22, 2007 11:09 PM PST
Collapse -
For my own edification...
by navsimpson / July 31, 2007 1:56 PM PDT

Why is a converter necessary? i.e. why can't one plug a PS3 directly in using an HDMI-DVI cable?

Collapse -
HDMI w/ s-video, PS3 and w/e
by awcwardguy / June 27, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

Okay, so i bought a new graphics card and with it, in the box, i recieved a converter that makes HDMI into S-Video. IS it possible to play my PS3 through this converter to display on my screen in a window of the gameplay; assuming i already have the HDMI cables? If so do i need a special program to run it? And will it run at 1080p? IF no then why would they give this HDMI converter, what else could possibly run through it?

Collapse -
Don't quote me on this but...
by bkchurch / February 23, 2007 12:51 PM PST

It would make sense to me that you could run the HDMI/DVI to the monitor and then use the composite audio cables (red/white) on your component or S-Video cables into your receiver (or directly to your speakers depending on what your set-up is). I assume the PS3 will be smart enough to know that the component or S-Video cables aren't plugged in so it will send the video through the HDMI and I recall somebody telling me that the PS3 doesn't send sound through HDMI if it detects another cable for sound plugged in so it won't be trying to pointlessly send an audio signal to a DVI port. Another alternative is if you have a receiver with an optical input you could just run an optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver.

Collapse -
You should be fine...
by freakwithahat / February 27, 2007 2:23 PM PST

Just use the plain old composite cables that came with the PS3 to plug into your stereo, speakers, input on your soundcard, receiver, whatever. I'm doing the exact same thing (HDMI to DVI on a comp monitor) and it's worked flawlessly, with ONE exception. Blu-ray is downscaled to 480p. My monitor is HDCP compliant, but the adapter I got for HDMI to DVI was not. Games still display in HD, so don't worry about that. Be sure that your monitor has multiple inputs, so you can also connect your computer to it. If not, you will need some sort of switch an earlier poster described. If you need cheap cables and adapters, monoprice.com does the trick. an HDMI to DVI adapter is only $5. They also have cheap HDMI cables and switchers. HDMI is a digital signal, so the $100 cables perform the same as $20 ones. Don't be roped in by Monster cable and the like!

Collapse -
question for freak
by prashanthkk / October 30, 2007 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: You should be fine...

hey man,

I am thinking about getting a PS3 and I would connect it to a LCD monitor via HDMI / DVI and I have an Altec lansing game speaker setup / rca connection.

What do I need to do, just connec the AV cable AND the HDMI to the PS3? How does the PS3 know to output sound via the AV cables?

Thanks man for any help!!

BCA

Collapse -
DVI Sound
by domb1992 / April 25, 2007 2:45 AM PDT

DVI sound is a problem many people face. In order to get round it I will tell you......... I only know how to make it work on TV's :(. If you have sound from a RGB cable (white and red) you should plug that into your composite sockets. Then when your on your HD settings you should go into your menu on your TV, select sound and change it to avl if you have it. This tells your TV to play the sound from the composite connection and the picture from DVI :P. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
do video cards with dvi work in this case?
by aremocaldo / July 31, 2007 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: DVI Sound

the monitor i have does not have dvi, but i was told that there are video cards that have a dvi connection on them. if i bought one of those would i still be able to hook up the ps3 all the same and would the game switcher thing work on it too?

Collapse -
Figured Out How to Setup the PS3 with HDMI to DVI
by ecuadude47 / March 4, 2010 12:18 AM PST

I just figured out how to set it up. You may have already learned how but I figured i'd share for those who haven't. You plug in the hdmi-to-dvi cable into your monitor and the two rca audio cables (red & white) from your component cable into your speakers. Hopefully your speakers have rca audio ports. Then with the ps3 turned on, it will say it has detected an hdmi source, do you want to transmit both video and audio using hdmi? Click on 'yes' and then go into the 'sound settings', find 'Audio Multi-Output', and turn it 'On'. This will transmit sound via all the ports: hdmi, optical, and regular av, simultaneously. Hopefully this helps; it worked for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.