Video Games & Consoles forum

Resolved Question

PS3 Game 720p display issue?

by hemant_k / October 22, 2011 6:27 PM PDT

I have a PS3 Slim that is setup with HDMI->DVI connection to a Pioneer 5070 plasma display. It has worked great for BDs at 1080i/p and DVDs as well. I recently bought a PS3 Game that plays at 720p (ModNation Racers). HOWEVER, the display for this game does not work properly - the screen turns GREEN as the game starts and most of the visuals of the game retain a green color (up to 80% of the images on the screen). Tried playing the game for some time, but the green color remains.Have tried changing the PS3 Video Settings, but not been able to fix the problem so far. Would really appreciate some help in resolving this issue - my 7 year old son is giving me a tough time since his game is not working ! Thanks in advance.

hemant_k has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS3 Game 720p display issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS3 Game 720p display issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by hemant_k

Collapse -
I run into this at work
by Jimmy Greystone / October 23, 2011 12:25 AM PDT

I run into this at work sometimes, only in my case I get a heavy pink shading when I hook some units up to my test monitor. So, working on the assumption it's a case of you hitting that very narrow error buffer on digital connections, try wiggling the cables and the adapter a little. Don't get too violent or anything, just make sure all the connections are secure, maybe even pull them all out, reattach them. Also make sure that the cable isn't being bent considerably.

Also, you might try looking around for any other games that only play at 720p, and see if you can find them at some video rental place. Then you can find out if it's some issue with the TV displaying 720p images. Which seems a bit unlikely, but definitely something you'd want to rule out. If it's the TV, no amount of fiddling with cables will do any good. You could also try taking the game back, getting a different copy. There's a remote chance there's a defect with that particular game disc.

Collapse -
by hemant_k / October 24, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

Thanks Jimmy for your post. Checked the cables, but that did not solve the problem. What I did figure out was that one of my TV settings needed to be changed. There's a 'DVI Set Up' option that needs to be changed to 'PC' (from 'Video') for the displayed picture to work properly. For DVDS or BDs, I will need to change that setting to 'Video'.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.