Samsung forum

General discussion

PS

by fthrjack / June 6, 2009 9:09 AM PDT

Hi, i just recently purchased a Samsung Series 4 450 plasma TV 42" (model PS42B451B2W)

When i connected my Ps3 to it with HDMI i couldnt get a picture, the TV knows theres a HDMI cable plugged it cause the input lights up in the sources menu, but when i select it, it says "checking for signal..... no signal"

yet if i turn the PS3 off it then says "Check signal cable" - so it knows somethings there when it is turned on.

I have tried holding the ps3 power button down and resetting it, no joy.

I have also tried connecting it with the AV cables and THEN switching it manually in display settings to HDMI, and all i get is a black screen i then turn the TV to HDMI and get no signal thing again.

Ive tried 3 different cables, i know all of them work fine.

Today i connected the PS3 via HDMI to a PC monitor with HDMI, it detected it just fine and i then set the PS3 to output in 720p only. Plugged it back into the TV - again "no signal"

So i ring Samsung tech support up, and the guy there seemed about as technical as the cardboard box the TV came in! he tried to tell me that the TV can only accept input on the AV cables, and not HDMI. So i asked him what the HDMI sockets where for then, and why is the TV 720p if it can only accept standard definition input, to which i got told "errr" he at one point tried arguing with me that i must have an XBOX and not a PS3! useless.

He then gave up and basically fobbed me off and told me to go back to the store i bought the TV at. However its sunday now and i wont be able to get to the store till the end of the week due to work.

Just wondered if anyone else had any ideas on how to fix this?

I already upgraded the TV firmware from 1006 to 1010, but it had no effect on the issue.

thanks in andvance.

FJ

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2009 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: PS

fthrjack,

Is the other input a 720p signal as well? There are some updates for the game consoles, and it might be worth mentioning that making sure the game console is up to date is recommended also.

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable or a different input on the rear of the television?

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by fthrjack / June 6, 2009 6:05 PM PDT

thanks for the reply HD_tech. yes i tried 3 different cables. tried all of them each way around. The TV has 3 HDMI sockets and on each ive tried it, same thing on each one - it knows something is plugged in there because the input "lights up" in the sources menu on the TV.

PS3 is fully upto date and connected permanently to the network by wire.

Im actually a network administrator by day, so the fact i cant get my TV working is a bit embarrasing and extra frustrating! i have a feeling its something to do with the TV firmware. As i mentioned it worked straight away when i connected it to a PC monitor - and ive never hooked to PS3 upto anything by HDMI before. SO it not working with the TV is perplexing :S

Thanks for the help

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 6, 2009 6:18 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the reply

fthrjack,

Does your game console have a 1024x768 resolution? If so, try switching it to that resolution and let me know what happens. It dawned on me to check the specs, since plasma resolution specs are slightly different. The U.S. "sister-model" (at least, I think it's closest to the PN42B450) lists 1024x768.

I'll be it works if the PS3 supports that resolution.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
resolution
by fthrjack / June 6, 2009 6:54 PM PDT

the options are

720p
1080i
1080p

Having done a lot of trawling on the net for answers its looking like i need to return my TV. ive had it 5 days.

When people have had other occurances of this happening they have switched to using a DVI socket in the back of the tv and using a hdmi to dvi adapter... i dont have that option since the TV doesent have DVI, and you cant upscale DVD's then anyway.

The other solution people tend to end up with is the TV manufacturer comes and replaces the HDMI board in the tv and then everything magically works.

In the support section on my TV it says its a PS42B450, though the TV is actually a PS42B451... which i found curious...

Collapse -
usefull page
by fthrjack / June 7, 2009 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
forgot to add...
by fthrjack / June 6, 2009 6:16 PM PDT

sorry yes the PS3 is set to output at 720p. I couldnt set that until i connected it to the PC monitor however.

I considered that the PS3 was trying to output in 1080i or 1080p also, but it wasnt the case. On connecting to the monitor the PS3 auto detected it right away and said

"HDMI connection detected! Do you wish to use HDMI as you video/audio output?" or something similar. i didnt have to manually switch it at all. When i then said ok to this i then set the PS3 to only output in 720p, though the PC monitor will do 1080p.

I then unplugged the HDMI from the monitor and stuck in stright into the TV and go the "no signal" of doom again.

The PS3 and TV dont seem to be "handshaking" over HDMI properly.

Collapse -
arghh
by fthrjack / June 7, 2009 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: forgot to add...

this is now giving me a litteral headache!

ive tried everything i can think of, has anyone got any other suggestions i might try?

ive tried holding down the power button on the PS3 with only the hdmi connected also, that doesent work either. Also did a restore settings on the PS3 and that didnt fix it.

Im convinced its the TV's hdmi board and/or firmware, on googling the TV model i find very little info about it, though this thread is now the top result on google for the TV model!

im considering returning the TV as not fit for purpose tomorrow, though i dont want to do that, i like the TV, i just want it to work with HDMI like it should :/

Collapse -
PS3 shouldn't be a problem
by nacho1162 / June 8, 2009 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: arghh

Weird problem you have. I just hooked up my PS3 to my PN63B590. I plugged the HDMI cable to HDMI input #2. Made sure the TVs input was set to input #2 and I got all the proper prompts in a few seconds. PS3 detected the HDMI connection and asked if I wanted to use it as my main connection,said yes. Then it asked if I wanted to out put 1080 resolution and again I said yes. I was playing little big planet a few seconds later. I wouldn't think your Samsung should be any different.

Collapse -
SOLVED! (dead TV!)
by fthrjack / June 9, 2009 7:25 AM PDT

yeah i figured the same, so today i returned it to the store and got it exchanged for another identical model.

Brought that home.. plugged it all in, and switched to the HDMI source. worked right away.. never had to set anything on the PS3 other than connect it and then say yes i want to use that setting.

ALL FIXED!

So looks like it was a dodgy board in the TV.

Thanks everyone for the help, while it didnt solve it you helped me reach the conclusion that it was a faulty board in the TV.

FJ

Collapse -
SOLVED! (dead TV!)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 9, 2009 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLVED! (dead TV!)

fthrjack,

You mentioned in another thread you had the 451. What model did you get exchanged with?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by fthrjack / June 9, 2009 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: SOLVED! (dead TV!)

like for like.

Same model number. The TV must have had a faulty HDMI board or something. So we know that this TV should work with PS3 if anyone ever has the same or similar issue!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 10, 2009 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: 451

fthrjack,

Noted and appreciated. Thanks for the feedback. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
I just had the same problem, same fix
by KilroyB / February 26, 2010 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: 451

Bought a PN42B450B1D last Friday night (2/19/10) and hit the same roadblock when I got it home and hooked up the PS3. The cable box, Cisco RNG200, also claimed the TV's HDMI port basically wasn't HDCP compliant and blocked it. Like you, I'm no stranger to hooking up a TV -- work in HD post-production -- So I spent way too much time trying to use my "expertise" to eliminate user error. Finally found your post, took it back with my PS3 and dumbfounded the Geek Squad. I had them test my console and cable in the exact same model in-store and it showed up as it should. Now happily watching Blu-ray and HD WRC coverage at God intended.

Collapse -
Ditto
by sisarge / August 14, 2010 8:15 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem. Samsung 42" plasma not displaying either my PS3 or DVD player through HDMI... but is picking up my MacBook through the same port. So strange! Swapped leads, bought a new lead, etc.. it just won't work. There's only one HDMI port on the TV and it does work for the mac, but nothing else. As the OP says, it does pick SOMETHING up since there's no 'no signal' message.. but the screen is just black. Does anybody know what the problem / solution is to this.. or why it picks up my macs video through the same port?

Collapse -
Continued..
by sisarge / August 14, 2010 8:22 PM PDT

Also worth mentioning that both my DVD player and ps3 were working through the TV perfectly fine for the last 2+ years with no problems at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.