Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Protection for Windows Me?

by fredsii / December 15, 2010 11:39 PM PST

Hi there. I was wondering what programs out there that can remove viruses, malware, etc that's up-to-date with today, but for Windows Me?

I'm having an extremely difficult time finding programs. It's mostly outdated software.

Also, I was wondering if there's any real-time anti-virus programs and firewalls that's up-to-date with today, that will work for Windows Me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Protection for Windows Me?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Protection for Windows Me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2010 1:44 AM PST

After decades of removing viruses and malware I can't say any programs actually work. All so far are hit or miss and none undo the damage.

I find it interesting that you would need a firewall on Windows 95/98 or ME. Are you aware that none of these OSes were subject to attack after one service pack or patch in their stock form?

Bob

Collapse -
Ohhh.
by fredsii / December 16, 2010 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: I'm going to write no.

@ R. Proffitt.

I knew about the hit and miss stuff, but I never knew about how it doesn't undo the damage and I didn't know that I didn't need a firewall on either. I'm happy to know that. Thanks. Happy

@PKsteven.

Thanks for the weblinks.

All I know is that my computer's been running slow extremely bad and the last time this happened, the repair store told me there were viruses and other nasties on it.

Would there be any other ways of looking at it from a difference view, other than maybe my computer's infected?

Collapse -
A few thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Ohhh.

First a bit more about the firewall. Since 95/98/ME don't reply or respond to external internet requests in stock form, a firewall was not required. And if you did install something that needed to reply to the internet (a server) a firewall if it blocked that would break that app.

Years later SPYWARE had us install a firewall that reported OUTBOUND messages but by then the damage was done to the machine and a firewall did nothing to stop the infections.

-> What next? Your story is very light but given most Windows ME machines had such small hard disks we often backup the user's files and re-install from the recovery media. If the machine is still slow it's often the owner is not the original owner and thought the machine should have been faster. Machines (which I missed what machine we are talking about) from Windows 95/98/ME days were often slow.
Bob

Collapse -
I agree
by PKsteven / December 16, 2010 1:59 AM PST
Collapse -
Sorry but..
by fredsii / December 16, 2010 7:35 PM PST
In reply to: I agree

The AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.289 weblink. I must be blind as a bat, but I can't see the option to download it at all. Am I to look for that version elsewhere on the internet?

Collapse -
See if this link works for you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 16, 2010 7:51 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry but..
Collapse -
My apologies fredsii
by PKsteven / December 17, 2010 9:27 AM PST

and thank you Mark for the correction. I try to stay with Cnet downloads as much as possible, knowing they are good downloads, didn't catch the latest version under it prior Wink

Collapse -
No problems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 8:23 PM PST
In reply to: My apologies fredsii

That has caught me out many times, and probably still will! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
No problem, PKsteven! :)
by fredsii / December 17, 2010 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: No problems

Thanks for the weblink.

@R. Proffitt.

Thanks for the additonal information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.