iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Pros & Cons of dropping my ATT service and using a friend's

by mrdvc / March 28, 2013 8:20 AM PDT

This discussion should be prefaced by telling you I'm not well acquainted with cell plans so please assume you're communicating with a moron. :o)

My friend has a family line smart phone account with ATT and isn't using one of the lines. She asked if i want to drop my ATT service and use hers, but I'm not sure of the repercussions.

I have an iphone 4 and am paying $100 a month for unltd. data, 200 messages, 450 prime time minutes. My friend's plan is unltd. data, messaging, and minutes and will cost me around $60 monthly.

Her contract expires in a year. It sounds like a good deal but I'm worried whether being on her plan will affect my credit rating (or if it will show on my rating at all?) as she has a history of late payment and her service has been disrupted in the past.

Any insight will be appreciated, thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pros & Cons of dropping my ATT service and using a friend's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pros & Cons of dropping my ATT service and using a friend's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) oops. I have 900 minutes prime talk time, not 450.
by mrdvc / March 28, 2013 8:26 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
The account owner is your friend, not you
by Pepe7 / March 28, 2013 2:25 PM PDT

So in that respect, AFAIK nly she is responsible for the bill.

If she doesn't pay on time though, you could have your service interrupted. Not worth the $40 savings IMO.

If your 24 mo. contract is not complete, ATT will charge you for leaving early. Keep that in mind as well when prorating staying vs going with your friend.

To save $ why not simply go with a cheaper plan with ATT native coverage, such as the ATT MVNO H2O? Granted, you won't get truly 'unlimited' data, but most folks rarely come close to 2GB/month anyway. See here:

Collapse -
Dropping ATT service
by betadan / April 5, 2013 8:10 AM PDT

To answer the credit question, since she is the one on the bill it will affect her credit. It wont show at all on your credit. but like the other post if she doesnt pay, you wont have a phone.

Also the other post is correct, if you are locked in a contract you can get out of it but it will cost you.

If it were me I would just suffer through to the end then change carriers, you could sell your iPhone when you switch. T-Mobile now has iPhones and their plans are a little cheaper.

Collapse -
dropping at&t
by mrdvc / April 10, 2013 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Dropping ATT service

Hi betadan,

Thanks for the advice. I responded earlier but evidently it didn't post.

Interruption of service is a concern but hopefully the monthly payments from me will be enough to avoid late payment...that is, if I take her up on her offer.

Collapse -
As long as the monthly payments from you
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 11, 2013 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: dropping at&t

are used in the manner that they were intended.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.