Windows 7

General discussion

Pros and cons of going from 32 bit to 64 bit

by martygene / December 6, 2009 10:25 PM PST

I'll be doing a clean install of win7 soon and now have XP 32bit and wonder if i should stay with 32but when i install win7 or go to 64bit?
is 64bit worth it? probably none of my 32 bit programs will work in win7 64 bit. is 64 bit the way to go for the future or aren't there enough 64 bit programs to make it worthwhile? also, if i install win7 as 32bit and want to go to win7 64bit later on will it have to be a clean install and will i lose all my settings, etc.??
thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pros and cons of going from 32 bit to 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pros and cons of going from 32 bit to 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes to losing what we don't backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2009 10:42 PM PST

But it's odd you write about the loss of 32-bit programs. I didn't lose any here. Can you share the list of what you are concerned about?

As to the move/upgrade to 64 bit later. That's been covered before and the answer is grim. It's a clean install again.
Bob

Collapse -
32bit vs. 64bit
by martygene / December 6, 2009 11:06 PM PST

Adobe Premiere Elemets 3
Adobe Photoshop 7
Soundforge 9
are just some of the main programs that i wonder about.
i know going from win7 32bit to win7 64bit is another clean install that's why i want to know if i should go to 64bit right off the bat. is 64 bit going to be the dominant format for the next 3 or 4 years or will 32 bit be fine?

Collapse -
Only SoundForge
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2009 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: 32bit vs. 64bit

Was heard to have an issue. I think the maker had a patch.

As to the move to 64, you can move when you are ready but if you value your time I think now is a good time to make the move.

Let's get one question out of the way.

Do 32-bit Windows programs run on 64-bit Windows 7?

Most do.
Bob

Collapse -
RAM
by jeff_windows_team / December 7, 2009 3:44 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.