TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Projector Setup

by Bholt2 / September 4, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

Just curious if anyone knows what's the smallest amount of distance you can have and still go with a projector? I've got about 10 ft from the wall the image would be on, so I was planning to go with a plasma, but I'd rather have a projector (incase I move and have more room).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Projector Setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Projector Setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the shortest distance "possible"
by jostenmeat / September 4, 2008 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Projector Setup

is completely a function of the screen size that you desire.

Now, just because any projector DOES fit at 10 ft, with your desired size, it may or may not be ideal, because PJs tend to lose brightess at any extreme of their zoom or shift. AFAIK. I just got my first PJ this year.

Then again, when the PK is close, and the screen is small, then the need for brightness is not as great, unless you have poor light control.

So, in the end, ANY projector works from 10'. Just hope the image is not too small I suppose for you. My bet is that it will work fine. When you research any specific model, owners, or even vendors, can help you.

Find that out, get PJ before screen. Throw up the pic, and really mull it over on the size.

Collapse -
by givemeaname / September 5, 2008 5:17 AM PDT

DLP projector have a 'long' throw distances, 10' be close to the min of some models. Any LCD or SXRD projector would be fine in the distance.

http://www.projectorcentral.com

find the projector your like & then click on the Projection Calculator or Throw Distance (that is the distance from the len to the screen)...

Collapse -
BEWARE BEFORE YOU BUY
by stewart norrie / September 5, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

You must have top notch electronices for a front project system Also note lamps have a very short life span and are very expensive.also you need an awsome 5.1. audio system to truly enjoy your home theater set up also room must be set up properly for light control 5 years ago I wanted the same set up but went with a 73" d.l.p Toshiba rear projector after all that time lamp still bright and replacement cost is only $200 I have that movie theater experience with out the high cost of a front projector set up good luck stewee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.