Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts

by MikeKlaiber / March 19, 2004 11:01 PM PST

I have fairly recently upgraded to WinXP Pro. I am logged on as the system administrator. Three other family members have limited user accounts.

Things work fine for me but a lot of programs don?t work properly on the other accounts. This includes Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which I assume is WinXP program. I have read the article at http://users.westelcom.com/rogers/xpsware.htm and the linked Knowledge Base articles 307091 & 308418.

I have copied shortcuts from Desktop & the Programs folder to All Users but this has not really worked. In fact it made things worse on my account as it seemed to double install some start up programs. I have now restored back.

While in the limited accounts, I cannot install or re-install programs, as this is prevented by the account settings.

I have read the guidelines to ?run with different credentials?, but can?t follow that through as I haven?t set a password on my administrative account (nor do I really want to).

There is nothing on my administrative account that needs to keep secret and all I want is for everyone to have full access to the system programs. I didn?t think XP was supposed to be this difficult. I am frankly confused by what to do.

I?ve looked at the article ?HOW TO: Set, View??Folder Permissions? but don?t really know if that will achieve what I want.

One other thing. I don?t know if it is connected, or not. In User Accounts there is an account entitled ?ASP.NET Machine A?., Limited Account, Password Protected? I don?t know what this account is. It does not display on the Welcome Screen. A friend set up the OS install for me, so I don?t know if this comes with the install, or not.

This is causing real difficulty at present. Is anyone able to assist please ? With thanks.

Mike Klaiber

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Limited User Accounts means limited.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2004 3:08 AM PST

If the accounts didn't have such limits?

The ASP.NET user is because you have the .NET framework installed. If you don't need it, uninstall it.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:Limited User Accounts means limited.
by MikeKlaiber / March 20, 2004 11:18 PM PST

Bob

Thanks for your reply. Point taken about limited accounts.

I only downloaded .NET framework as it was required for a particular program - I don't remember now, which one.

Other than myself, there is another system administrator which doesn't show up on the Welcome screen or in User Accounts. It appears in Win Explorer and under "control userpasswords2" dialogue. Would it be safe to delete that, do you know ?

Regards.

Mike

Collapse -
Best you know this about accounts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2004 11:36 PM PST

One of the wells that people jump into is to remove all accounts that they don't use.

Some go so far as to force XP done to one account since "I'm the only user." The danger of this is simple. NT/2000/XP/2003 and for the foreseeable (Windows) future use a "profile" as the login occurs. If you remove all admin accounts save one and you have a profile failure, then you won't have a (easy) way to repair the failure since you've removed your spare admin capable account.

Tread slowly and deliberately here.

Much like a spare tire, that other admin account is useful.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Best you know this about accounts.
by MikeKlaiber / March 21, 2004 12:46 AM PST

Bob

In fact Explorer shows 2 x Admin accounts other than myself, one of which is very much a duplication of (early) stuff in my own account.

Interesting analogy. My wife?s new car comes with no spare tyre. I?d be happier if there was one !

Thanks again for your explanation. I think I will heed your good advice.

Regards.

Mike

Collapse -
Re:Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts
by Merl Priester / March 20, 2004 5:01 PM PST

The all users programs startup list just shows shortcuts to programs, it does not give program run authority.
IF you have a shortcut in your list, and add the same shortcut in the all users list, it will now show in yours twice, but it will show in others only once if they didn't have it already. Make sense?

Now if you need to give others authority to run other programs there are ways.

Right clicking the shortcut under their account will sometinmes give the option of "Run Progam As" this lets you put in your login and password for that shortcut, thereby giving them program access rights for that program under their limited account.

For Nero, download and install "neroburnrights"
This will let you give CD burning ability to all users at once.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts
by MikeKlaiber / March 20, 2004 11:21 PM PST

Merl

Many thanks for your reply. This has added greatly to my understanding.

I understand what you say about copying over the shortcuts. This is exactly what happened. Apart from anything else, it threw out my dial up connection. I have now gone back with System Restore.

I have now set myself a password (as administrator) and followed your suggestion of ?Run program as??. As you say, this allows other users to use that program, but 1) it means they have to use my password, and 2) it is not a permanent fix. I thought that after making this change, the shortcut would work for the other user(s) as normal, but it looks like they have to go through the ?Run program as?..? routine every time, entering my password.

Have I got that right ?

Thanks for the steer about Nero. I have that software and will download the add-on.

Regards.

Mike

Collapse -
Are you ''covererd''?
by Cursorcowboy / March 21, 2004 9:55 PM PST
I have now set myself a password (as administrator) and followed your suggestion

Create and Use a Password Reset Disk which is used only to reset the password on a computer for which it was prepared, [Q305478].
Collapse -
Re:Programs won't work in Limited User Accounts
by walktohere / March 21, 2004 5:42 PM PST

what do u want the other user to be able to do if you put all user on Computer addmin that will sort out the proleam with sharing files

or change the groups of the users are in to stop them chaging thing just tell me what u want them to do?
Martin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.