Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Programs to safely speed up your PC for FREE

by RELLIKPIR / December 4, 2010 5:40 PM PST

This is all programs I personally use on my Win 7 and Win XP laptop and have used on others PCs without indecent but always use your best judgement.

This is between 2-5 hours of work. Your PC will be use able while doing this but might be a tad slower. And a restart between programs is recommended to confirm system viability. I've had no issues.

First before anything else. Start>run>enter( Msconfig )Or open task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Delete and enter Msconfig in the new task window. With 7 you can just hit start and type Msconfig into the search bar

After opening MSconfig Go to start up. Disable All. Re enable your anti virus which should be MSE, Avast, Avira, or AVG. Then restart your PC. This will instantly Speed up the average users PC Significantly by stopping many MISC programs from running. Nothing should run or needs to run except Anti virus at start up. At least nothing I have found yet on dozens of the average user PCs.

Before going forward. Make sure you have all your Passwords saved in a text Doc or written down since they can be deleted in the cleaning process.
This is not a set in stone order just a recommendation
Everything in your internet browser except for bookmarks, custom toolbars, and custom skins will be cleaned. If you want it kept go bookmark it.
CCleaner: Click everything except the Free space wipe It takes at least an hour on HDDs. Unclick the short cut and start menu options under system if you think reorganizing your desktop sounds to difficult.

Glary Utilities: Run the 1 click. Use your discretion. I recommend selecting all options.

Auslogics Registry Cleaner: Select all and advanced. Run Clean. On both my PC and laptop I find less than 30. I found about 5000 registry errors on the laptop when it was given to me between the first few scans with Auslogics and Glary.

Ok at this point your almost home if your not also installing a new Anti virus and malwarebytes. Do Virus scans last. They take a while and these steps will make them faster by removing junk they would have otherwise scan

You can also Use Advanced Systemcare free. If you run it now don't use the disc defragger.

Now. Auslogics Disc DeFrag. I run this on all my PCs and it is Far faster than the windows defrag. It always gets the fragmentation to 0% unless you have other issues which can be found but seeing what files didn't defrag in the report.
I have heard there are better programs out there but this one works great for me and I trust it. It is fun to watch it work as well.

Revo Uninstaller. A Neat freaks best friend. Personally anything on the list with MSN Google or Yahoo in the name gets the boot instantly. Be sure not to uninstall vital programs or updates. It isn't that hard to figure out. Always use the advanced uninstall. No program ever uninstalls itself without leaving muddy footprints.

Now enjoy knowing your PC is a clean well running machine.

Now is a good time to Run your Anti virus and Malware programs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs to safely speed up your PC for FREE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs to safely speed up your PC for FREE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 9:35 PM PST

From your post I see;

1] Disable all in MSCONFIG then re-enable your anti-virus. What about the other essentials that are meant to startup when the OS boots, eg Microsoft startups, disk devices, (Raid, etc), Video Card control panels, sound devices?

2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.

3] Auslogics Registry Cleaner - Why use any registry cleaner? I don't and I don't recommend anyone uses one.

4] Use Advanced Systemcare - For what purpose? Unless a user is sure they know what they are doing, I would never recommend 'optimisers'.

5] Auslogics Disc DeFrag - Not necessary. Defrag does little to speed up a computer and is wholly unnecessary unless the hard drive is severely fragmented.

6] Revo Uninstaller. - I will give you that. it is a good utility for 'problem' uninstalls. Not needed otherwise.

All in all I fail to see the purpose of your post except to confuse and cause confusion.

These forums are Help forums for helping out with specific and identifiable problems. There are plenty of "How-to's" available on the internet, but this type of advice post doesn't sit well in these forums.

Mark

Collapse -
Glary
by PKsteven / December 4, 2010 11:01 PM PST

**2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.**

LOL.Couldn't have said it better myself.

**which should be MSE, Avast, Avira, or AVG**

Really? What about the other numerous possibilities?

You do realize you can create your own issues when using all these cleaners and optimizers right? What you have here is a basic plan... clean until you've wiped out everything, including needed files.

Collapse -
2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 1:07 AM PST

2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.2] Glary Utilities - I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole.

Worth repeating. In fact, if it touts registry cleaning, that's a sign. a bad one worthy of a barge whack.
Bob

Collapse -
LOL
by RELLIKPIR / December 5, 2010 3:57 AM PST

I'm an X gamer forum troll. You guys really define trolls. You come in slamming stuff and you give no explanation why.
So the top downloaded utility programs for Cnet Ratings and Downloads that I personally have used on half a dozen PC's without any problems are bad """"for some reason""""".

If someone is running RAID. They shouldn't need this. I stated CLEARLY FOR the average user PC, trolls. There are no Vital Microsoft programs listed in the Startup list. Feel free to name 1. I got 3 PCs in my house I can check 2 7s and 1 Xp.
Now if you go disabling Services you can brake something but that is an entire post by itself to even fathom playing with. I've run this on XP and 7 personally and Vista via walk through.

No registry Cleaner. I'd like an explanation of this. Since my only logical response is LOL. Like Clean till you remove needed files? please explain this red haring.

Numerous other anti virus possibilities but you didn't name 1? Like Clean till you remove needed files? So far I haven't had that issue and I've had PCs run and Glary find 10Gigs of junks files and no issues after the fact. The only issue I ever had was my own PC when I started playing with Services. I still do but just more carefully.

Collapse -
The moderators here have
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: LOL

Too many requests to get machines working again after registry cleaning.

I did not address junk files that Glary may do fine. If it takes becoming a troll to stop the damage, that's what I be.

Bob the troll.

Collapse -
Ok tell me more.
by RELLIKPIR / December 5, 2010 4:13 AM PST

What programs were they running. Just so I know. Cause I haven't had that issue yet. Any good registry cleaner makes a backup first so worst case scenario you system recovery.

Feel free to educate me. I'm sharing what I know. If there are faults I'd like to hear about them and why and how to fix.

Collapse -
Keep posting and keep reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Ok tell me more.

Sorry but I forgot to mention one other Glary issue in my reply. Not long ago the forums were deluged with spam posts for Glary and more.

This did not improve the moderator's views on that product.

Let's leave Glary to find and fix their issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Why We Have The "Negative Slant"...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 10:40 AM PST

Just an example.. Read the posts in the thread below then see what the "proof of the pudding" is all about. It's only one example but we see a number of users on these forums who have problems after using such cleaners... Apparently, you've been lucky using the tools you prefer.. Not all have been so..

Although we've also seen problems with Glary Utility users, the link below is just an example with the use of a similar "optimizer".:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6121_102-230703.html?tag=rb_content;forums06

Most importantly, we've yet to see a third party/impartial testing process which shows increased performance with the use of ANY registry cleaner or optimizer.. Although there ARE studies that show occasional defragmenting of fragmented drives will increase performance, we've yet to see such for reg cleaners.. And remember, for every registry entry that is removed from the registry (they are basic text files), it actually fragments the registry slightly making it slightly slower for use by the system.. Simply stated, if the registry cleaner incorrectly removes a registry entry, then a program or even Windows itself can stop working correctly. Unfortunately, we occasionally see such issues on these forums.. As a system admin for a fairly large government agency, we fix such problems frequently.

It's your choice but recommending such in a "Newbies" forum is stretching it.. To each his own...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Anti-Virus
by PKsteven / December 5, 2010 2:21 PM PST

**Numerous other anti virus possibilities but you didn't name 1**

Nod32, Norton, Webroot, BitDefender,PCtools, Trend Micro, Vipre,Kaspersky,Panda, G data,
I'll even save myself the trouble...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software

Nice of you to assume everyone has the same one.

Seriously, what are you gaining by taking a chance with a registry cleaner? A few kb improvement over a possibility of damage? I've been working on computers for a long time and if I had a nickle for every time I heard someone used a registry cleaner, suddenly something didn't work, system wouldn't boot, something crashed, the list goes on. While many may get away with cleaning without harm, it's only a matter of time before a good portion of people feel like they should clean even deeper, it's not science fiction, it happens all the time and eventually they end up with just enough cleaning knowledge to do damage but not enough to back up their registry before doing so.

For more experienced users, this is fine but as stated already, in a newbie forum, it can do more harm than good.

**Since my only logical response is LOL**

And still is.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2010 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: Anti-Virus

I deleted a post here. It was from a new member who supplied a link only, no comment, to another "Optimiser" type application.

In this discussion I didn't feel that was appropriate, hence the delete.

Mark

Collapse -
Reader Beware
by WildClay / December 6, 2010 12:17 AM PST

Many folks find certain utilities work for them but I have always taken great care in making such "hardwired" suggestions.

For example if I was a newbie and read that, then acted on it, my AV would be dead, I use Norton, 2 of my USB drives would not mount, my Bluetooth would be dead, Defender would be dead, my multi-media keys on my keyboard would not work, and that is just off the top of my head.

There is no doubt that a lot of performance gains can be had but stopping unneeded processes from starting, but it is better to be specific about it.

I for example disable all auto-updaters, I disable pre-loaders like Adobe and MS Office.

I also tend to caution folks on the downside potential of tools even if I am singing their praise.

One can argue the value of registry cleaners until the cows come home but one thing that can't really be argued is that it is a good idea to have a full system back-up before you do. I have seen more than one case where the tools restore nor system restore was able to unravel the mess the cleaner made.

I think you will always see cautionary replies to posts such as that, and not out of meaness or even that someone is right or wrong, this is in Newbies so extra care is taken to help newbiews from smoking their systems using tools "dumbed" down so anyone can use them but are still as danagerous in the hands of a novice.

As for Reg Cleaners I was not convinced that they did not help, after about a year of looking in detail of what the one I was using was really doing, bedides blowing out my Active-Sync each run, I concluded that there was no value unless I was having a true registry issue, in other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it Happy

I am still a defrag believer, but I wait for over 40% before doing it, it seems to make a difference to performance but I have not objectively tested it.

I see you are bringing your experiences to the forul which is a good thing, just be prepared for debate on some things, as that is another point of forums vs FAQ's.

Collapse -
Mentioning Norton FAIL.
by RELLIKPIR / December 9, 2010 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Reader Beware

Edit:Added last, Thanks. Your ignorance has made me a far more informed consumer. My bad AVG and MSE aren't as good as I thought. I might switch to AVIRA though from Avast. Avira is a beast.

1 suggested Norton. 1 using Norton. FAIL. Unless all my sources are wrong. And my class of 20 and a the A+ instructor who runs a strut program are wrong. Norton is a Plague upon PC's Anyone that uses it is not an advanced user. Most of the time I hear about a PC going down for the count they were running Norton. Norton is what Manufactures install so that your PC dies and you have to buy a new one.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_od_aug2010.pdf

I win. Norton is TERRIBLE. The only thing that Avast matched it on was false positives.

I'll GIVE you 1 small shred of hope. Ignoring how many Issues norton causes.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_retro_nov2010.pdf

If your going to have an opinion. Try to make sure your not alone or wrong.

Collapse -
"If your going to have an opinion. Try to make sure your not
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2010 5:41 AM PST

"If your going to have an opinion. Try to make sure your not alone or wrong."

Can I quote you on that!?

Collapse -
I only need to run one AV program...
by WildClay / December 9, 2010 10:09 AM PST

Think that pretty much says it all Happy

Collapse -
Reader Beware Part 2.
by WildClay / December 9, 2010 10:12 AM PST

Regardless of your dislike for Norton, I am still correct that if someone followed your suggestion they would likely impact any number of things on their system. Not sure what you are hot about?

Collapse -
Nothing has gone wrong yet. I'll keep trying.
by RELLIKPIR / December 9, 2010 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Reader Beware Part 2.

Wild Clay. Well Soon I am going to Run that stuff on my New laptop. I have already run REVO uninstalling almost everything not required for general use and a lot of proprietary software including system restore. Getting the default running was scary for a min but if things go wrong I don't want to be stuck trouble shooting proprietary junk and other stuff. and MSconfig on the startup programs. I just have CCleaner and those 2 registry cleaners to run.

If someone would like to point me in the direction of some good Performance measuring software or A list of things I should compare. I got a stopwatch but I need to know what is considered good things to compare other than start-up time and when exactly to stop it.

Collapse -
Your Custom Build, Not Generic Advice...
by WildClay / December 10, 2010 12:37 AM PST

Now I see where you are going, and other than wanting to be minimalist here and in the other thread wanting to run 2 or more AV programs I think I understand. I think it is fine to reduce your system to just the essentials, I do that with every system but would never suggest it to a novice, too many things can go wrong and usually do which is why I love my Paragon Drive Bankup so much, gets messed up, couple of clicks and I am back to where I was before I killed too much Happy

As for benchmark tests you can find like Performance Test 7.0 here in CNet Downloads that is ok and has plenty of baseline system metrics rto compare to, or search download on performance benchmark and pick the one you like.

Collapse -
LOL
by Dango517 / December 10, 2010 4:31 PM PST

"Unless all my sources are wrong. And my class of 20 and a the A+ instructor who runs a strut program are wrong."

Do you have any idea how long these guys have been doing this? Happy

Actually I think it might be flaming not trolling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_%28Internet%29

Trolling is more subtle and harder to pin down, in fact if well done it can't be pinned down at all. Wink Much more effective that way.

Collapse -
2 comments
by Dango517 / December 10, 2010 3:56 PM PST

Avoid the registry cleaners, with one exception ...... when all else fails to recover a corrupt OS. Using one might keep a PC running a few months longer till you reinstall a clean copy of the OS. Remember, I did say "might" keep it running. Problem is, these programs take out far more then they should and the backups are ifffy. Better make sure you have the OS disks before trying a registry cleaner. By the way, I did use them at one time till an overly aggressive reg. cleaner wiped out my computer. Yep, I once praised them just like you are but not anymore.

Defrag does work for me and keeps my PC drives in top shape but I use very demanding 3D programs and need every speed boast I can get.

Collapse -
Speeding up your pc
by seoindexing / December 11, 2010 3:56 AM PST

Well they do say to have as few applications on your pc as possible, as these slow down your speed.
This i have found to be true through following this advise as i used to have approx 45 icons for various apps on my own PC desktop but since i now just have these placed on my external drive, the pc is like a rocket!

Collapse -
That's a strange thing.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 11, 2010 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: Speeding up your pc

1. Shortcuts on a desktop don't do anything if you don't click on them. All they 'cost': finding the picture when displaying the picture after boot. For that, the program must be read, and that activates the antivirus program.
2. You can't move icons from the desktop to an external drive. The desktop is on your c:-drive.
3. External drives are slower than internal drives. So they shouldn't be used for common operations.

Kees

Collapse -
? Worth cleaning up my folders/ directories, or not? Speed
by pdoyle10 / December 11, 2010 4:24 AM PST

love the drama! cnet forums rule
couple points and a question;
? after upgrading to 500 GB hdd, installing XP Home from OEM toshiba install disc, Easy files Transfer and some other back-up programs messed up the folders/directories so it's difficult to find subfolders; e.g. on C:\ level, i have Shared and other Documents folders; and, C:\My Documents, etc. Is it worth trying to correct this? everything seems to work ok until i start messing with the folders...I could to a clean re-install, but a lot of work; and obviously my easy transfers i screwed up without even knowing it. I had saved directories/folders to an external drive and had gone through iomega programs before using windows easy transfer; blah.
1. After ditching Advanced System Clear, i again downloaded it; cleaned registry, sypware, ummunized, optimized, etc. But then iTunes wouldn't open and i spent hours on that; only to find i had to uninstall ASC and reinstall iTunes. so I agree; newbies shouldn't mess with registry etc. it gains little and causes big problems.
2. is it true if you load programs on external hdd, it doesn't affect performance of internal hd?

Collapse -
Where to begin?
by PKsteven / December 11, 2010 5:04 AM PST

1. If they work, and you don't want "all the work", leaving them alone seems best.

2. Advanced System clear? Never heard of it personally, are you sure it's even legit? Either way, another good example of why these can be dangerous to use.

3. Sure, you can install them to an external, if you want all the issues that will likely encompass doing so. Safely remove may not work any more, some may get start errors, if removed, or the drive goes bad, you no longer have them on your pc. And numerous other issues to name. Performance? Likely it will degrade.

I feel native to the C: drive is always best but that's my opinion.

Just a side note: If you are thinking "Can I put these on another PC from external?" the answer is no.

Collapse -
cleaning up folders/directories reply
by pdoyle10 / December 12, 2010 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Where to begin?

thanks comicfan
"if they work,leaving them alone seems best"
good advice!

Collapse -
Moving icons
by PKsteven / December 11, 2010 4:41 AM PST

Can I ask what happens when you click on these icons now? I just have to know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.