Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

programs run in task manager but invisible on monitor

by ggsmit / September 5, 2009 7:11 PM PDT

several programs, like ashampoo optimizer & firefox show up as running in task manager but are not accessible via the monitor.
also adobe reader 9 continues to freeze on opened pdfs
any help?
God bless
ggsmit
south africa

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: programs run in task manager but invisible on monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: programs run in task manager but invisible on monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: programs not visible
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 7:34 PM PDT

"accessing via the monitor" isn't really clear, but I assume you mean there's no icon in the taskbar to click on and they don't appear in the alt-tab cycle.

Sometimes this happens if the program can't fully open or fully close for some reason. Then it's kind of half present and half not present. If it's OK the next time, it's a one-time glitch. Don't care about it too much. If it's reproducable (also after a reboot) and doesn't happen on other PC's, there must be a cause, but it might be difficult to find.

And sometimes the program is designed to run in the background and not show anywhere. That's not an issue. Firefox certainly isn't such a program, but I don't know about ashampoo optimizer.

The best way I know of to solve Adobe issues is to use another pdf-viewer. Start with foxit reader (free download). I know nobody (but you might be an exception) who needs version 9 and can't use any other version of Adobe or other companies because of some feature that is unique to version 9.

Kees

Collapse -
programs not visible
by ggsmit / September 5, 2009 8:20 PM PDT

tx kees,
the icons are visible on desktop. as soon as i click say the firefox icon, the hourglass shows it is opening, also the hd light indicates activity and system resources are being used as with the program opening up.
but then nothing appears on the screen.
i check in task manager and see firefox is running. so i kill it because it uses resources and cant be used. the same goes for some other programs, providentially i have ie to access the net.
i'll go for the foxit pdf reader now.
i thing my situation has something to do with the program not being able to 'speak' to the graphical interface - whatever that means...
gg

Collapse -
Re: invisible
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 8:37 PM PDT
In reply to: programs not visible

If it always happens with Firefox, I'd try
a) deleting all Mozilla/Firefox folders your Documents and Settings>Application data and Documents and Settings>Local Settings (might be hidden folders)
b) reinstalling Firefox

Kees

Collapse -
same problem?
by mongolianwalrus / April 15, 2011 4:46 PM PDT

I have a similar problem as well.

Collapse -
Which program?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 15, 2011 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem?

This often relates to a fault in the application itself, or issues with the OS.

Have you tried reinstalling this program?

Mark

Collapse -
thx
by mongolianwalrus / April 16, 2011 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Which program?

any program, not just a particular one.

Collapse -
Yep, that sounds like a damaged OS
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 16, 2011 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: thx

If you have the original XP Setup CD you can try an SFC Scannow, (it might not need the original CD, but you never know), and that might repair damaged system files.

Did this ever work? If so, try a System Restore back to when it did. What changed from when it last worked?

Mark

Collapse -
Any program?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2011 8:54 PM PDT
In reply to: thx

That can't be true. You say that task manager runs. You imply Explorer runs (that's the desktop). You talk about "processes" in task manager. Those run also.

Now can you tell what programs don't run? And does it depend on how you start them? The 5 common ways to start a program are:
- from a shortcut on the desktop
- from a shortcut in Start>Programs
- by double clicking the program in Windows Explorer or My Computer
- by running it from the Start>Run box
- by running it from the command prompt

Kees

Collapse -
yeah, any program
by mongolianwalrus / April 17, 2011 6:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Any program?

Yes, explorer runs, and its "running" in the processes tab, but its obviously NOT running. Explorer is also one of which this problem has occurred with.

Collapse -
not sure if this apply for winxp (work on win7)
by 69Timmy69 / July 3, 2012 2:00 AM PDT

Open Windows Task Manager.
On Application tab, right click on select task, select Maximize.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.