Windows 7 forum

Question

Programs do not start up in Normal or safe mode

by bree3g / March 19, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

I have recently noticed the lasy couple of weeks that my computer is running slower than normal. In the last week

I noticed my anti-virus software from Norton is no longer working. When I tried to delete the file to re-download it the program would not delete from my computer. I tried to just update it from the internet the "Run; Save;Cancel menu appeared and when I clicked run nothing happened. I tried this function in safe mode with the same result. Now my problem is affecting other programs like Microsoft and the shortcuts on my desktop.
I have tried downloading the AVG anti virus I ran into the same problem. I am lost for options since it is not letting me run any programs on my computer. I can download programs just fine but thats it. I can use the interent just fine but I try to stay away from that since it leaves me open for more viruses. I need to know of other options that I can try. Can anyone help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs do not start up in Normal or safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs do not start up in Normal or safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: Exe File
by bree3g / March 19, 2012 6:29 AM PDT

I tried the Exe file program but it states that It cannot import; not all data written into the registry; some keys are open in the system or other processes

Collapse -
Re: exe file fix
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Exe File

Reboot into Safe Mode and try again.

If that fails, it's time to do the system recovery back to factory conditions to get rid of the malware we suspect.

Kees

Collapse -
RE
by bree3g / March 19, 2012 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: exe file fix

I was in SafeMode with Networking when I tried it so I know that would not help. I have also tried the recovery method but it will only recover to a date in February. Is there a way to force it back to a later date?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the exe file fix ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 1:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Just guessing
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 19, 2012 6:01 AM PDT

in addition to Kees' suggestions, about that Norton.

Has its license expired? I have seen reports that when this happens Norton can cause strange lock ups with systems.

Mark

Collapse -
RE:
by bree3g / March 19, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Just guessing

No my license does not expire until October of this year

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.