Computer Help forum

General discussion

Programs cannot access the internet

by Norrad80 / June 20, 2008 12:45 PM PDT

Hi everyone,

I'm having a few problems accessing the internet. While browsing and emailing works perfectly, most other programs simply cannot find an internet connection and simply tell me that I am offline or there is a DNS error. I'm at my wits end on how to solve it. I really need some of the programs for work.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP3 on a always on ADSL connection. I'm connected to my router over Wifi using a static IP address.

Any help would be appreciated.

ps. I've added the programs to my Firewall exceptions

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programs cannot access the internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programs cannot access the internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you reset router?
by Grimbles / June 20, 2008 12:55 PM PDT

G'day - Have you reset your router at any time recently? That will have this effect.
Go through your initial router configuration/set-up settings again and re-enter them.......let us know how you get on.

Collapse -
Tried it and still doesn't work
by Norrad80 / June 20, 2008 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you reset router?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I've just reset my router and set it up again but still no luck. It's definately something local. It's a fresh install of XP Pro with SP3 streamlined, so Malware should not be the problem.

Collapse -
Have you contacted ISP?
by Grimbles / June 20, 2008 2:35 PM PDT if your router is configured correctly and you are certain it cannot be malware.....I had a similar problem once and with help from my ISP I reset the DNS Server settings under Internet Protocol from auto to specific addresses (supplied by ISP)....and that fixed it.
The clean install makes me think that it is settings somewhere in your Network Connections properties that need adjusting.
Maybe your ISP can help?

good luck,

Collapse -
A Fresh Install Of XP...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 21, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

Just to make sure you've performed all the necessary hardware setups during the installation..... Windows XP SP3 does not install all the drivers for your computer.. I have two suggestions.

1. Find any updated motherboard/chipset drivers and the ethernet drivers and install them. You haven't mentioned whether there are yellow exclamation points in the Device Manager..

2. AFTER you've installed both of the items above, if it still doesn't connect correctly, then please try running the WinsockXPFix tool from the link below:

And if none of this works, try testing the connection with a different computer.. Borrow someone's laptop and see if it has the same issues.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Because Of the DNS Error, Please...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 20, 2008 1:09 PM PDT

...try using the instructions for finding and cleaning out any malware that might be on the machine:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.