Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Programing

by ssh49tn / March 26, 2013 10:56 AM PDT

Is there anybody that makes a program similar to Windows, besides Microsoft?

ssh49tn has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Programing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Programing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by ssh49tn

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Programing

But maybe you want it to run Windows apps?

Tell more but the answer is yes.
Bob

Collapse -
Programming
by ssh49tn / March 26, 2013 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely.

Well, I don't care so much about Windows, I've been reading a lot about them getting fined big bucks over in the EU for 'unethical' business practice, plus Bill Gates was really horrible on t.v. about capitalism. That's how he made all of his millions! But, I was told that he no longer owns Microsoft, per se, because of all the legal woes. I like Windows ok, but the only thing with it is that you have to use what they tell you, & can't change around. I play some games on Facebook, so would want to keep that, but other than that, there's not really anything Windows wise I'd keep, as long as my email & stuff worked. Also, I don't have a back up disc for the Windows 7 program that I use, because it came installed already, so if I didn't like another one, I couldn't switch back.

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / March 26, 2013 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Programming

Well, first off, you name a large company, and I'll show you a company that is doing something unethical somewhere within its business. Someone I know worked for a big name components maker which shall remain nameless, but let's just say that the company's idea of helping resolve a conflict between coworkers was to fire the person who complained. He was even one of the so-called privileged classes, being a white guy.

You can take a look at Australia as well, where the Parliament has been holding hearings over why it is often times cheaper to buy a plane ticket to the US, buy big ticket software like Adobe Creative Suite, and fly back to Austrlia, than just buying the software in Australia to begin with. Our British friends have been all too familiar with this for many years, where companies just replace the dollar sign with a pounds sterling sign, never mind that the exchange rates means that the cost of the exact same software just went up 1.5-2.5X with that one little thing.

Anyway, most people fleeing from Microsoft start off going to Apple, but then quickly find that Apple is even more controlling than Microsoft. Apple controls the hardware, the software, and pretty much everything else on their platform. You also better like the idea of your $2500 iMac being basically a glorified iPhone the way recent Mac OS X updates have been going.

So, after that, a lot of people tend to find Linux, which is great if you can make it work for you. You have to be real careful about your hardware selection to make sure it'll work. It's not so bad now as when I started toying with Linux back around 1995. Back then, you could pretty much forget about running Linux on anything that wasn't already at least two years old.

There are a few other possibilities. ReactOS is still going, and I seem to recall it getting some kind of support from the Russian government. BeOS still lives on in the form of a few splinter projects. There are a handful of other operating systems out there as well, but for the most part, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux are your major players.

Finally, people seem to forget that Bill Gates was a trust fund kid. Who can come up with $50K, in 1980s dollars, on almost no notice? He basically was not risking anything when he started Microsoft, and it's at least alleged by some that he stole the first program Microsoft ever made, a BASIC compiler, from when he was working at DEC. Still, whatever the guy may have done to make his billions, he is following in the philanthropic footsteps of his father. The man deserves some credit for that.

Collapse -
Sad to read such a post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Programming

I'd take some time to learn more about your PC. And it's very odd to write about Mr. Gates since he's been gone for years.

Someone has played a cruel joke on you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.