PC Applications forum

General discussion

Program to make music louder?

by pingpongboss / January 6, 2006 6:31 AM PST

I used MediaMonkey's sound-leveling option on all my music and now they are all softer than before! Is there a program out there that can make all my mp3 files louder? On my MP3 Player, I now have to put the volume slider on a higher position and sometimes i have to turn the volume dial on my computer all the way up when it's noisy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program to make music louder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program to make music louder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) External powered speakers?
by Coryphaeus / January 6, 2006 10:23 PM PST
Collapse -
That's what I was planning on doing, but....
by pingpongboss / January 8, 2006 12:16 PM PST

What if i don't want everybody around me to hear my music on my MP3 Player?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just turn down the volume via the knob or use a headset
by John.Wilkinson / January 8, 2006 12:56 PM PST
Collapse -
i guess that works..
by pingpongboss / January 9, 2006 6:57 AM PST

but it's not very satisfactory for me ^_^. I want to make my collection louder without all the hassle.

Collapse -
Possible solutions
by EC|Luke / January 8, 2006 8:00 PM PST

To answer your question I downloaded the application and here should be an answer to your question. You need to change the level of volume, so you can level all you mp3's again on a higher volume. To do so, follow the following instructions:

When in MediaMonkey:
From the main menu, click Tools > Options > Player > Volume Leveling.
On the configuration panel set:
upgrade the volume of leveling to something you like, for example 100 db. Now here comes the important step, unmark the ''Only analyze Tracks with unknown leveling adjustment'' box. This will volume level all your tracks again. In the same menu you can also change the playback volume (upgrade this too, if you think it's too soft after leveling at 100db) If you have done this, things should work properly again. When not:
There are various programs around to make your mp3s louder, for examle there is MPTrim:
http://www.mptrim.com/index.html
But this application only allows you to do this with one mp3 at a time, so this can be a very long job.

Since you already tried changing the volume slider without any ffect I think the problem is really with your mp3s. I hope the above was helpful enough to solve the problem

Collapse -
hm..
by pingpongboss / January 9, 2006 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Possible solutions

i have done this a few times and even raised the baseline volume level to 130. however, it is still very soft. also, do you use "Analyse Volume" at all? I'm not sure what it does or if it effects "Level Track Volume." Do you feel a great difference when you do this?

Collapse -
MP3 louder
by Lam109 / January 9, 2006 1:28 AM PST

Google MP3Gain I have used it to to what you want it should work for you.Good Luck

Collapse -
ok...
by pingpongboss / January 9, 2006 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: MP3 louder

i've downloaded it and i'll get back to you about whether it works for me

Collapse -
Wow! It works perfectly!
by pingpongboss / January 9, 2006 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: ok...

Thanks alot!

Collapse -
No problem
by Lam109 / January 10, 2006 12:23 AM PST

Glad I could help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.