PC Applications forum

General discussion

Program to fix faulty BIOS

by exeterjohn / December 6, 2008 10:00 PM PST

I am new to this forum but I have been impressed by the helpful responses to some of the posts that I have seen. Hopefully, someone can help me!

I have a laptop labelled IPC TopNote F model 219 whose BIOS is made by Insyde Software, certainly not one of the major BIOS suppliers. It has an 800MHz Intel Celeron processor and currently has 128Mb RAM which I propose to increase. It runs Windows XP Home Edition and there is no problem (as far as I can tell) with loading and running Windows.

The problem is that the BIOS throws out some error messages saying that the save-to-disk function is not working, says to run a file called 0VMAKFIL.EXE and then gives a list of files not run followed by press F1 to continue. It does continue if I do this and sometimes it boots without the error messages. I think the best action is to update the BIOS or to flash it at the very least.

My problem is that Insyde Software does not support individual end users, I can find no trace of the laptop manufacturer IPC on Google and the web page which seems most likely to help (www.wimsbios.com) refers only to the major BIOS suppliers.

Does anyone know of a program which will scan my computer for BIOS and other updates and which is guaranteed to identify a lesser known BIOS like Insyde Software?

I would be very grateful for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program to fix faulty BIOS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program to fix faulty BIOS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few notes...
by John.Wilkinson / December 6, 2008 11:20 PM PST

1.) The BIOS is self-contained and should never need, and therefore never ask for, a file. Chances are it is a manufacturer-specific boot loader that is outputting the error message/request.

2.) The file is 0VMAKFIL.EXE designed for EPS Technologies laptops, which is likely the actual manufacturer of your computer. However, they went out of business during the dot-com crash in the early part of the decade.

3.) You can still download that file (link), but that's not to say it will resolve the problem as other files may be missing/corrupt as well.

John

Collapse -
Thanks
by exeterjohn / December 6, 2008 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: A few notes...

Thank you, John.

Most helpful.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.