PC Applications

General discussion

Program to compare large files?

by Rob10 / March 11, 2010 8:43 PM PST

I'm backing up two computers to the same external HD. I have tried to keep the same files in two large folders across the two machines, but wanted to make sure I have everything without duplicates. Is there a good program that looks at two large folders and tells me what I might be missing in one?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program to compare large files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program to compare large files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: comparing folders
by Kees Bakker / March 11, 2010 9:03 PM PST

I find Gyula's navigator a good tool for that. Worth a try, because it's free. Download from http://download.cnet.com/Gyula-s-Windows-Navigator/3000-2239_4-27561.html

Or use xxcopy (free download also, but you need to feel a little bit comfortable with the command line) with backup switch to backup everything you forgot.
Or use Syncback or Microsofts synctool (free) to to the same via the GUI.

Kees

Collapse -
Re
by Rob10 / March 11, 2010 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re: comparing folders

Thanks Kees,
I just tried Gyula's Navigator, but didn't seem that much better than Windows Explorer, though I'm no IT guy and I didn't give it a lot of time. The problem is the two main folders I'm trying to maintain on two PCs are "supposed" to have the same files, and for the most part are pretty close. But one is 4 GB and the other is 40GB, and to check each sub folder in a side by side list is a bit tedious. Is there is anything that you can scan one folder and scan the other and spit out which files are missing? The one that constsntly drives me nuts is freaking iTunes!

Collapse -
Sure...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2010 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re

I usually use Beyond Compare, but WinMerge is a free alternative that offers the same functionality. For directories that large, it will take quite some time and works best if you just walk away while it performs the scan.

I should also note that:
1.) Many system files are in use by the OS and therefore cannot be backed up by some software.
2.) Some backup software does not include hidden files/folders by default, leaving a large chunk of system files unaccounted for.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by Rob10 / March 12, 2010 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Sure...

All the files I'm dealing with are either photos, or music in my iTunes folder. No system or hidden files, though I suppose there might be some inf. or exif. files. Would "Show Hidden Files and Folders" allow it to pick these up?
No need for speed, I can start it and come back when it's done

Collapse -
Going to try Beyond Compare
by Rob10 / March 12, 2010 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Sure...

I downloaded the free trial and will give it a go when I get a chance in the next week. It sounded like it may require me to ese my brain to figure out Wink Thanks for the tips!

Collapse -
Re: comparing
by Kees Bakker / March 12, 2010 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Re

Your requirements are becoming more clear. First you said you wanted to compare files, then folders, now folders including their subfolders. Please remember that the quality of the solution can't be better than the quality of the requirements.

With what I understand of the issue now, this is what I would do:
1. dir /b /s to a text file on both "main" folders
2. edit one of them (replace all) to correct the systematic differences such the drive letter; ideally, now both text files should be the same
3. use winmerge (free download) to compare the 2 text files

Kees

Collapse -
Agreed!
by C0ldf1re / March 17, 2010 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: comparing

Please remember that the quality of the solution can't be better than the quality of the requirements.

You could have written that in CAPITALS.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.