Computer Help forum

General discussion

"Program Not Responding" and computer freezing ..

by sbartel / March 22, 2005 1:23 AM PST

More and more of my websites are not loading, giving me the "Program Not Responding" and freezing my laptop, but I use Norton's, Ad Aware and Spy Bot constantly, clean on internet cache, defragment regularly ... I'm not sure what to do. Advice? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Program Not Responding" and computer freezing ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Program Not Responding" and computer freezing ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When is the last time...
by Edward ODaniel / March 22, 2005 1:49 AM PST

you emptied your browser's cache. How large is the browser's cache? Too large a cache will cause exactly the sysptoms you describe (try setting it to between 8 and 10 meg).

From your post one must assume that you are only having problems with the browser although that is certainly not clear.

One also assumes you are using a Microsoft OS although that too is not clear as Internet browsing is available for most operating systems. Matter of fact we must assume far too much to actually offer much real assistance--why not share some specifics with us?

Collapse -
Using Windows XP ...
by sbartel / March 25, 2005 12:50 AM PST

delete cookies, temporary internet files and history fairly regularly. These problems happen on internet explorer as well as on Mozilla - program will just randomly slow and shut down.

There's plenty of memory, but it just seems to go dead.

Collapse -
Any ideas?
by sbartel / March 26, 2005 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Using Windows XP ...

Anyone? Please?

Collapse -
Sbartel, This Is What I Would Do Next..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Any ideas?
First, I would reinstall the newest version of Java from the link below:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the "Download Windows J2SE JRE" download link that is in the "J2SE v 1.4.2_07 JRE includes the JVM technology" section. Download the file to your desktop, scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean), then shut down all background programs, including your antivirus, then run the installer.

Then I would install the latest Microsoft Scripting engine from the link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Then I would check for spyware using ALL of the free spyware removal tools at the links below:

Collapse -
Tried all that ...
by sbartel / April 13, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

Nothing works, and now worse, it's not opening up certain pages: doesn't go, has been shaky. Help!

Collapse -
Tried all that
by WebAnt / April 23, 2005 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried all that ...

Use WinsockXPFix and see if repairing your registry keys might help. It could not hurt.

Collapse -
Sbartel also might also check......
by Glenda / April 18, 2005 2:02 AM PDT

the PSU and the CPU fan. My PC was freezing a lot, checked the fan and the PSU and found they were extremely dirty, took the PSU apart and the CPU fan and cleaned them both! Problems solved.

Collapse -
Re: Suggestion
by dancing_dasie / April 21, 2005 8:54 PM PDT

My name is Brenda, I am responding to your message I have read a few of the comments suggested and didn't see any of them mention about scan disc or windows update. These might correct or help clear them up.

Collapse -
Re: Suggestion
by WebAnt / April 23, 2005 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Suggestion

Shartel, I am Anthony. In response to what Brenda said, I would suggest this. Type msconfig after clicking on Run and make sure Windows Update is checked in Services. That way it will always run automatically and keep your computer continuously up to date.

Collapse -
There's no "Windows Update" in my computer ...
by sbartel / April 26, 2005 2:40 AM PDT

Should there be?

Collapse -
Sbartel, To Turn On Automatic Updates On XP..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 26, 2005 9:10 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, double click on the 'Automatic Updates" icon, then select the "Automatic" update selection of your choice.

The listing in the "Services" section of Windows Updates is called "Automatic Updates" and if it's not listed in the "msconfig/services" section, it probably means your's is not enabled in the section I mentioned above. You should still be able to see the "Automatic Updates" service if you open the Control Panel, open the "Administrative Tools" icon, then open the "Services" icon

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Not in my case:)
by Glenda / April 23, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

The PSU was extremely dirty and the CPU fan also. I haven't had any problems since cleaning:) But Thanks:)

Collapse -
C PU and Fan cleaning
by ludmillia / February 1, 2009 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: Not in my case:)

Where do I find these on my laptop to clean as my computer keeps freezing or not connecting to the programs I have selected - I have an HP. Thanks

Collapse -
reply to sbartel
by taj1234 / January 11, 2006 1:56 AM PST

thanks for reply i know this sounds stupid but how do i delete folders im using windows xp

Collapse -
Deleting folders...
by John.Wilkinson / January 11, 2006 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: reply to sbartel

Just like with individual files, there are many ways of deleting them:
* Right-click the folder and select delete.
* Left-click the folder, then press the delete key.
* Drag the folder to the recycle bin.
* If you're in Windows Explorer, select (click) the folder and go file->delete.

This holds for all versions of Windows.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
Computer freezing,not virus related
by duckluva / April 21, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

Welcome to the World of Analog Solutions to Digital Problems. Speaking from both worlds ( I'm a retired Phone Tech) The answer may not be how many programs your running, Defraging, or Conflicts in Programs. WHEN is the last time you 'saw' your computer? From the inside? That's right, like the Stigma of "Don't open the Back! (of a TV) Most Store Bought machines have NEVER been opened by their owners. Simple solutions like 'Freezing' may be found in 'cooling'. A Plethora of analog Answers like; Taking the mat of Hair and Dust off the Cooling Fins of your CPU and cooling fan(That thing you hear running when your PC is on)Does wonders. Yeah,,think backwards, freezing is a cooling problem, You ain't cooling- then your overheating, which causes your computer to shut down.

Collapse -
Computer freezing,not virus related
by WebAnt / April 23, 2005 5:21 AM PDT

Duckluva, is it okay to use a vacuum cleaner hose to suck out accumulated dirt as long as you do not touch the insides of your computer with the hose? One thing I like about Dell computers is that you can open them up like a suitcase and the innards are not going to be messed up unless you do something stupid like not making sure the power is completely cut to your computer before opening it up. I unplug the power cable to my computer and I shut down power to my Belkin so that my router,cable modem, printer,and speakers cannot possibly give any power to my computer as well.

Collapse -
freez the pc
by ICO1959 / November 10, 2010 4:55 AM PST

uninstall your security programs, all of them! if you use windows vista or seven you have windows defender, if you are xp, than download the defender for windows xp, is free from microsoft. yor security avg, bla-bla and especially norton are crushing when working together, wipe them uot and will be ok then.

Collapse -
Did a defrag lately? Everyone Should
by ciggieoxo / April 16, 2005 11:50 PM PDT

This message won't be a silver bullet; however it will help anybody keep their PC in tune for optimal drive performance.

NOTE: When using a defrag utility make sure you are **not** running any windows programs. For broadband connections shut down the "always on" internet connection by unplugging the modem.

With the defragger that comes with a Windows OS or one from Norton or freeware/shareware sources, defrag (defragment)the hard drives. Everyone should defrag the drive(s) now and then. It will put your drive in to a state where the drive head does not need to search all around your drives before responding. Some defrag utilities also rearrange files so that they are placed optimally for your use.

Collapse -
Re: Did a defrag lately? Everyone Should
by yik54 / April 24, 2005 12:37 AM PDT

Just a quick question regarding this subject. What do I do next when my Defragmenting stops & locks up? This is my issue after I clean, then scan disk, then defrag disk. It runs up to 75% then stops/locks up. What should I do to resolve this, as I have NEVER had this happen before. By the way, I'm still running Windows98, everything (including Win update) is all updated & running at peak performance. Any Suggestions? Could this be a BIOS issue? Why now, all of a sudden?

Collapse -
defrag solutions
by paulmeadows9 / April 24, 2005 12:55 PM PDT

check running tasks with ctrl-alt-delete, shut down everything but explorer and systray before defragging. might be a good idea to run msconfig and see if you have unnecessary start-up items that may be slowing your system down as well as interfering with defrag. By the way do you have an APC UPS, the powerchute software that comes with it has a known issue with defrag on windows 9x that causes the exact symptom you described, if so disable it in msconfig-startup, restart, defrag, re-enable powerchute then restart again. If none of these ideas work try using safe mode to defrag

Collapse -
"Program not responding"
by Cursorcowboy / March 27, 2005 9:05 PM PST

First, I'd like to know if that is the exact error message rendered -- that actually displayed on the monitor? Does the error popup applet have a title?

If you're positive the system has not been infected "link here", then step through the following to hopefully help resolve any existing problems. Be advised however, the following does not take into account many of the possible causes when Service Packs for IE or Windows have been installed with default settings that have not been changed to concide with you're usual way of doing business.

1. When visiting Web sites, add-ons (software components) may be downloaded automatically, you may be prompted to download add-ons, or you may be directed to visit a Web site to obtain the latest add-on. These components may be third-party ActiveX controls that extend browser functionality or that provide special user interface elements in IE. The article [Q883256] describes how to control add-ons by using the Manage Add-ons feature of SP2, describes how to use and how to troubleshoot its features.

2. The article [Q885355] explains that when the by default Use smooth scrolling option is enabled, the following anomalous behavior can occur:

? When you scroll through a Web pages, the CPU Usage meter in Task Manager may indicate 100 percent CPU use.

? Other programs may slow down or become unresponsive. For example, if you play a video DVD, an audio DVD, or an audio CD while you scroll through a Web page, you may experience video or audio distortion.

3. Three links for your reading pleasure:

a. "Browser Helper Objects: The Browser the Way You Want It?

b. "What is a Browser Helper Object?."

c. "BHODemon" that can be downloaded may assist with your situation perhaps.

4. "Itty Bitty Process Manager (IBProcMan)" - a ZIP file download and requires no installation:

I've been seeing more and more cases of infections by trojans that kill any antivirus or antispyware programs you try to use and remove them. For such cases, I created a standalone version of the 'Itty Bitty Process Manager' inside HijackThis. It should be a bit harder for trojans to detect, since it has no window caption. If they do start targeting it by filename, rename the executable before running it and you should be good to go.

A standalone version of the little process manager included in HijackThis (Misc Tools section). Shows full paths to processes, optionally shows DLLs loaded by processes. Can save the process list (and dll list) to file, as well as copy it to the clipboard. Compatible with at least Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and newer.

Very useful for cleaning up systems infected with trojans or viruses that kill antivirus and antispyware programs.

5. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

Note: Else, some of the core Internet Explorer ".dll files" may not be correctly registered or need registering. First, verify the exact path of where the Iexplore.exe file is found and used as noted for the "Primary. . ." example. Second, click Start, Run, type exactly "Primary Hard Drive Letter:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg, and then either click OK or press Enter.

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Collapse -
Here's the exact message:
by sbartel / April 13, 2005 5:47 AM PDT

"End Program - (website address)

This program is not responding.

To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click Cancel.

If you choose to end the program immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the program now, click End Now."

No, I don't know if my laptop is virus-free, so I'm unsure what to do next.

Collapse -
Doesn't seem to be virus-related ...
by sbartel / April 14, 2005 3:21 AM PDT

Am I at the point where I'll have to delete, then re-install windows?

Collapse -
sbartel; Check your hosts file.
by Tufenuf / April 14, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

sbartel, If you haven't yet checked your hosts file do the following:

The hosts (no extension) file you want to check is located in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory (folder). Below between the lines is what it should look like.
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# # source server
# # x client host localhost

Open it in notepad and remove any entries below localhost

Close notepad and save the changes.

Collapse -
Tried to do that, but it won't save ...
by sbartel / April 14, 2005 2:08 PM PDT

Says "Cannot create the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS file. Make sure that the path and filename are correct"

Collapse -
Re: Tried to do that, but it won't save
by Tufenuf / April 15, 2005 1:05 AM PDT

sbartel, When you opened your hosts file were there entries below the localhost line? If there were please let us know how many and if they were sites you're having trouble with. Since you have Spybot Search & Destroy installed are you using the Spybot's Hosts file under Tools? Do you have the Lock Hosts File read only checkmarked under IE Tweaks under Tools? Please reply with answers to the above. If your hosts file is marked "read only" that's why you can't save the changes.

Collapse -
Here's what's below it ...
by sbartel / April 16, 2005 11:53 AM PDT
# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

Collapse -
Re: Here's what's below it ...
by Tufenuf / April 16, 2005 12:27 PM PDT

sbartel, Those entries shouldn't be causing your problems but I have no idea what put them there because Spybot's hosts file adds many more entries. If you use Spybot Search & Destroy open it, click on Tools, click on IE Tweaks and uncheck "Lock Hosts file read only as protection against hackers". After doing this you'll be able to remove those entries in your hosts file.
Open it in notepad and remove any entries below localhost

Close notepad and save the changes.
Then see if you notice any difference when you go to the sites you were having trouble with. If it works better you could then go back into Spybot Search & Destroy/Tools/IE Tweaks and checkmark "Lock Hosts file read only as protection against hackers".

Let us know how you make out.

Collapse -
Here's what's below it ...
by sbartel / April 15, 2005 4:06 PM PDT
# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.