Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Program Conflict????

by moranacus / March 6, 2012 12:23 PM PST

I have a new computer that has Windows 7 and I didn't use Avast 7 much on my old computer. I had no problem with the early version of Avast and Malwarebytes on my computer that has Windows XP but I'm beginning to think that there is a conflict between Avast 7 and Malwarebytes.
Has anyone else seen this????
Avast 7 makes me answer yes and no whenever I try to do an update with Malwarewarebytes but it never asks me this and allows updates to SuperAntispyware with no problem.
I'm using the free version of Avast 7 and if there is a conflict between the two can someone recommend a different antivirus program?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program Conflict????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program Conflict????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: "Avast 7 makes me answer yes and no ..."
by Edward ODaniel / March 7, 2012 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Program Conflict????

Are you talking about the questioning about running the program in a sandbox? If so just "tell" Avast to allow it to run normally and check the checkbox to do this every time the program runs.

Collapse -
Don't Get That Message
by moranacus / March 7, 2012 4:52 AM PST

I haven't got a Sandbox message at all when using Avast 7.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No, Avast 7.0.1407 and mostly...
by mchainmchain / March 6, 2012 5:39 PM PST
Collapse -
Still Want to Replace
by moranacus / March 7, 2012 12:53 AM PST

I still want to replace Avast 7. I have problem most of the time when I try to install new programs causing
the computer to lockup. When I turned off the shields for Avast to install a program that I had problems
with (a program from CNET site) it installed fine.
It's not fun rebooting my brand new computer whenever I want to install a new program.
I also have SuperAntispyware installed and I don't know why it lets me do updates with no problem
but when I try to do updates to Malwarebytes it asks me the yes or no question if I want to install the updates.

Collapse -
Answer
Free or paid versions of SAS and MBAM?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 7, 2012 1:38 AM PST

moranacus..

I don''t see where you indicated which versions you're using. I'm presuming it's the free versions of both. Have you tried "excluding" Avast and MBAM from one another? These instructions are for Avast 6, but it most likely works with the more recent versions.

Have you installed the newest version (avast! v7.0.1426) yet? Does it make a difference?

If you're looking for a replacement, why not give Avira's AntiVir a try? It seems to work well with most systems. If you do choose to try it, don't forget to make use of Avast's Uninstall Utility.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Free And Paid
by moranacus / March 7, 2012 5:06 AM PST

I have the free version of Avast 7 and the paid version of Malwarebytes.
I do have the new version of Avast installed that was just released but didn't try to
install anything yet. Hopefully this might fix the problem.
I only had my new computer setup since Sunday and I don't think it's good for
it for me to have to restart the computer about twice each day.
I tried to setup Avast per instructions I got from the forum to stop the Yes and No
questions I would get when trying to install updates for Malwarebytes but it didn't do any good.
It still bothers me why SuperAntispyware is the only thing that doesn't need
permission to do updates or anything.
Everything else (updates with Malwarebytes and installing of programs) had have
to ask me first.

Collapse -
Oh, I see....
by mchainmchain / March 8, 2012 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Free And Paid

you are talking about a possible conflict between Malwarebytes and Avast!.

Suggest adding the program folder for Malwarebytes to the exclusion section in Avast 7.

Let us know how that goes.

Since it is a paid for program, that would bother me too.

Collapse -
Tried That
by moranacus / March 8, 2012 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, I see....

I already tried that but it didn't work.
I really like the SuperAntispyware program I have installed but it scares me why they are allowed to
do updates by just clicking on UPDATE and Malwarebytes you keep having to answer the YES and No question.

Collapse -
Food for thought..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 8, 2012 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Free And Paid

Hi moranacus..

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems. You wrote you tried to set up Avast 'per instructions to stop the yest and no questions'. I take that to mean you tried setting the exclusions posted at Malwarebytes, but it didn't work for you.

I came across your thread at the Malwarebytes' forum. I see where a contributor noted he tried the same instructions (for Avast! 6) and it worked for the new version. Are you sure you followed the instructions "to the letter"?

You indicated you were displeased with AntiVir due to its lack of email scanning. ONLY some food for thought and my personal opinion. Some may disagree. I would be remiss if I didn't preface the following remark by letting you know, I'm extremely cautious when it comes to clicking on links in emails or opening attachments. I don't want (or feel I need) my A/V to scan emails.

I use AntiVir. If I need an attachment scanned, it is capable of doing it. I would invite you to read where Symantec writes (under "Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?"):

'Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. '

I tried to find an article by Tom Koch, which I had in my bookmarks. The page now redirects to Microsoft. But it covered the same subject. This article references it. It's as close as I could come to accessing it. Sad

I'm not trying to convince you either way. If you're comfortable with your emails being scanned, you should find an A/V that scans them. That's if you are unable to sort out your Avast! problems and plan to switch to another.

Furthered good luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Had No Problems Will Newer Avast Yet
by moranacus / March 8, 2012 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Food for thought..

Well, I actually got another program from CNET to install and I was using the newest version of Avast
so I will see what happens
I had a serious problem with an uninstaller program (can't remember the exact name but it had Hamster
in it's name) that was at this site. I would download load the file from CNET but when I clicked to install
it it locked up my computer. I tried this a second time and it did the same thing.
I went looking for the exact name of the program but I that program didn't come up.

Collapse -
Wrong Program Type
by moranacus / March 8, 2012 5:51 AM PST

It's an unzip program and not an uninstall program.

Collapse -
Was it Hamster Free Zip Archiver?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 8, 2012 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: Wrong Program Type

You said you had a serious problem installing a program from CNET. Just underneath the green button which says "Download Now", there's a hyperlink which reads "Direct Download Link". Which one did you click on?

IF it was "Download Now", I would (strongly) suggest using the "Direct Download Link" from now on. It seems to be less problematic. If you DID click on the Direct Download Link........ I don't know what else to tell you, short of reading this post.

Continued success with Avast! Happy
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.