Laptops forum

Question

Processor slow after new hdd

by jonahkrw / April 8, 2013 3:44 PM PDT

My computer's Speccy: http://pastebin.com/pTwN7uPE

Recently, my original hdd died all of a sudden (started beeping when its powered and isn't readable) so I got a new one which is compatible with my laptop. My previous hdd was a 5400rpm and I replaced it with a Seagate ST9500423AS 7200rpm hdd. My laptop (Dell XPS M1530) is over 4 yrs old, so it could be a lot of things. My battery doesn't charge and all that good fun.
I had that 7200 lying around, never-been-touched-still-in-static-bag, and so I swapped it with the other one when it died.

After installing a clean Win7Pro, I installed all drivers (cpu, gpu,...) and they are up to date. I did not flash the BIOS b/c it still shows that it is at version A12.

Now, even with this old laptop and the slower, older hdd, I could play FIFA 13, Arkham City, and a lot of other games on lower graphics without lag. I know the BIOS throttles the cpu when it does not recognize the battery, but I could still run the games with no trouble.
Now, I cannot, things get very choppy after playing for a few minutes. I attempted forcing the cpu not to be throttled with ThrottleStop but it would just force shutdown after a little.

According to the Windows Experience Index, my rating is now up to 5.4 from 4.8 because of the upgrade from 5400 to 7200, so why is my gaming experience worse?

Are there any tests I can run to find out what the issue is? Might something else have shorted out when my hdd died? Am I just plain screwed cuz my laptop is ancient?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processor slow after new hdd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processor slow after new hdd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell more about drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2013 11:25 PM PDT

You claim they are up to date but we can't use Windows to determine that. Nothing has changed about installing Windows. I'm going to stop here since I want to read how you determined the drivers were current.
Bob

Collapse -
okay
by jonahkrw / April 9, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

I had backups of all the drivers I had installed on my external, so I used that first. I let Win7 update itself to its current iteration, then went to the hardware pieces and had Windows search online for new drivers, or in the case of my Nvidia card, I used the Nvidia site to update.

When I figured something was amiss, I used Advanced System Care to check if my drivers were up to date and also went to the Intel site to see if I could find any newer updates. I did not find anything new.

Collapse -
That does not sound OK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: okay

I have yet to see any person succeed with any "driver backup" system. So that's a failure system?

You wrote "had Windows search online for new drivers" which is exactly what we know does not work.

And finally you mention Advanced System Care which has no hope of finding drivers for the million different PCs out there.

-> I know it's terrible but nothing has changed on over a decade or two for Windows. You must install it the old fashioned way according to the maker's instructions.

I see some image as to the machine's specs but all that does not matter. Your install method is something folk may try, but it's flawed in many ways.
Back to the old fashioned well discussed Windows installs.
Bob

Collapse -
aw, okay...
by jonahkrw / April 9, 2013 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: That does not sound OK

How disappointing, it is pretty much the procedure I followed the last time I installed Windows.
So I'm gonna clean install one more time then. I have all the current driver update files for my hardware from the manufacturers or other sites if the manufacturers do not host it anymore.
After the installation, I'll update in this order:
-Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
-Chipset or SMBus driver
-Processor Driver
-Video
-Audio
-Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
-Modem
-Network Card
-QuickSet

Does that sound fair?
And then should I let Windows search for its other updates or no?

Collapse -
Looks very close to the order I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: aw, okay...

Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse) is interesting. While I do install the touch pad driver, I haven't installed a keyboard driver in over a decade.

Also, the Chipset driver usually includes the SMBus item. Just be sure to use the drivers at dell.com that you find with your Service Tag. If these drivers are from the rather horrible "Driver Backup" software we see, these are usually a great cause of failures.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.