Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Processes using too much Memory

by vligon / January 31, 2005 12:46 PM PST

An issue arised today. All of my processes that are running are using WAY too much of my system memory...I'm used to having 15+ processes all the time. This is a new issue. For example IE is using 24 mb's and the Explorer is using 28 mb's ... this is not normal.

To my knolage I did not knowingly download any new programs to start this; only play an MMORPG.

Does anyone know of a virus/worm that may cause this? Or is it a hardware issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chuck

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processes using too much Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processes using too much Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Processes using too much Memory
by sp_100 / January 31, 2005 12:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Tried these...no luck...
by vligon / January 31, 2005 1:09 PM PST

I've tried Adaware, Spybot, Norten, and housecall...to no avail...anyone else have any ideas as to what may be causeing this?

Collapse -
HJT
by Papa Echo / January 31, 2005 6:32 PM PST

Try "Hijack This" to find nasty programs....

Collapse -
Also
by mannyman / January 31, 2005 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: HJT
Collapse -
No Luck because NOT a problem...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2005 2:25 AM PST

XP is handling the memory as it is designed to. Active processes are getting the memory they need to perform properly.

Memory unused is not being used effectively.

Collapse -
Tried these...no luck...
by sp_100 / February 1, 2005 5:20 AM PST

Well, just like I said before: The numbers are OK.
You forgot to mention your system specs ... If you have less than 512MB of RAM, try to clean some background processes.

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Actually, that number can be normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2005 8:48 PM PST

And not a sign on a problem. I can get IE or Explorer up to those numbers by using them.

But I don't use IE except for Windows Update. Who would use IE given it's spyware problems?

Bob

Collapse -
SPYWARE IN MEMORY / PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
by PAISANO5 / February 1, 2005 6:28 AM PST

EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A SPYWARE PROGRAM WITH AOL & ALSO USE SPYBOT, I STILL END UP WITH DOZENS OF SPY PROGRAMS IN MEMORY - AS MANY AS 2 DOZEN SHOW WHEN I CHECK THE TASK LIST - EG RNAPP, CCAPP, LUCOMASTER. THEY CREATE ALL KINDS OF PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS.

UNTIL I MANUALLY DELETE A FEW, I CANNOT ACCESS AOL OR SOMETIMES EVEN WORD. BUT ONCE I REBOOT THEY ARE ALL BACK AGAIN. EVEN AFTER THE SPYWARE PROGRAMS HAVE SCANNED
IT IS SUCH A LABORIOUS PROCESS CONSTANTLY DELETING FROM THE TASK LIST SOME CANNOT EVEN BE ELIMINATED - E.G PRVTECT

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

ANY SOLUTIONS?

LOU LEDDA

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.