TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???

by blutown / April 3, 2011 3:53 AM PDT

I have an Amp 5 that has stopped working. I contacted an authorized repair place (the Service Bench in MA) and they wanted $800 for service and $250 for parts. This is in addition to shipping (it weighs 120 lb.). This was a $5000 unit new.

Even at its age, it is still one of the best performing multi-channel amps around and I want to keep it but given the high cost of repair, I'm having second thoughts. Anyone faced this situation? Any advice? How much would a used Amp 5 or comparable cost? How much could I sell this non-working but repairable unit for? Where's the best place to shop for and sell audiophile equipment? Cheers!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"repair or replace???"
by ahtoi / April 3, 2011 8:30 AM PDT

I don't think anyone can answer that because we are not in your shoes..so to speak. Only you can make that decision.

Now lets do some math here. Lets say it cost $1200(freights added in) plus all the works of packing to get it repair. But if my understand is correct, $1200 is too high for you to keep it; then how much do you want to sell it for? Remember one thing, it's not how much you paid back then (as a buyer..I don't know) but how much I can get a similar system now.

As for selling place, I always heard of Ebay and Craglist. Personally I have never done any business with either. One other thing; I WOULD NEVER BUY A MALFUNCTION SYSTEM at any price. I have no recourse if I can get it repair. You understand my view? Good luck.

Collapse -
Sorry, did lousy in proof reading.
by ahtoi / April 3, 2011 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: "repair or replace???"

corrections:("as a buyer..I don't know" should read as a buyer..I don't care), Also should be "I have no recourse if I can't get it repaired".

Collapse -
eBay
by PistonCupChampion / April 17, 2011 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: "repair or replace???"

FWIW, a working Amp 5 sold earlier this month for $1275 + shipping.

Collapse -
by ben3150 / April 13, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

I won't fix my amp due to cost, but I love the amp too. Not sure what to do. Do you want to sell me the amp for parts?

Thanks

Collapse -
Proceed Amp 5
by blutown / April 16, 2011 10:27 AM PDT

Ben,

I haven't decided what to do yet but will let you know if I decide to part it out. Thanks, M

Collapse -
by Blueshead2 / May 12, 2011 4:44 PM PDT

Hello. Don't know what you decided to do. I have a Amp 5 that I didn't get repaired because of the age. One of my friends that is a amp tech took a look at it and found one module bad in it. He took it out and the other 4 channels work fine. Don't know if you would be interested or not but I would sell it to you at way under what it would cost to repair yours. You could have a tech replace the module and you could be back up and running. It took him about a hour to figure it out. Let me know. I'm tired of moving it around. LOL Thanks.....M

Collapse -
(NT) Decided to repair- Nothing used comes close for $1000
by blutown / May 13, 2011 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
proceed amp 5: repair or replace?
by ben3150 / May 14, 2011 1:08 AM PDT

Where are you located? How much are you asking for it? Let me know, i'm interested.
Thanks
Ben

Collapse -
Hello Ben
by Blueshead2 / May 16, 2011 7:49 AM PDT

Hello Ben, Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner. I live in North Carolina. If you want the amp5(amp 4) You can have it for $400 plus ship. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks Mike

Collapse -
proceed amp 5
by rocketman2011 / July 10, 2011 7:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello Ben

hello mike

i am interested in your proceed amp 5 ( 4 )
is it still for sell ? thanks
adolf

Collapse -
(NT) Mike, Amp 5 is still for sale? Ken 941-792-7187
by klthomascpa / January 10, 2012 11:18 PM PST
Collapse -
What's the worst that could happen?
by thecrimsontide / May 21, 2012 11:34 AM PDT

Despite the fact that the answer is almost certainly "no", can I give you $400 plus shipping for your AMP"4", or has it been sold?

If everybody else flaked out and you still have your poorly Proceed, please let me know, and I'll get $400 to you ASAP. Happy

Hopefully,

Craig

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.