Windows Legacy OS

Resolved Question

"Procedure Entry Point GetModuleHandleExw not located"

by grayscot / February 23, 2012 1:14 AM PST

The error message above appears multiple times in any session though it goes away by clicking OK. Any one know what it is pointing to or how to stop it?

grayscot has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Procedure Entry Point GetModuleHandleExw not located"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Procedure Entry Point GetModuleHandleExw not located"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by grayscot

Collapse -
Just the first hit on google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 10:12 AM PST
Collapse -
W2K being forced out
by grayscot / February 24, 2012 3:06 PM PST

Thanks for the google suggestion. Apparently turns out to be part of MS planned obsolescence program for W2K. They have a hot fix for some of their own programs, which I'm not using, but apparently I have loaded some program that is really only compatible with XP, just don't know which one. And it is constant across all programs so it is already loaded; may well be my free antivirus. The gamers have a fix--at least Soulstorm does but you have to buy DOW to use it. Others are trying to replace the kernalxx.dll but that's too scary for me. Probably will just put up with it. W2K was always better than the dumbed down XP, and faster than the ponderous Win7 but I guess we have to keep MS in business if only for the hotfixes. Thanks for your help..

Collapse -
I disagree. (you know I would.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: W2K being forced out

I ran W2K for many years and NEVER found MSFT to be forcing this issue.

I read "I have loaded some program that is really only compatible with XP" and this appears to be the premise of your claim (and ire?)

As a programmer (I do that and more) if my client needed my apps to be on 2000 and if they pay the bills (mine!) then I will look into the issue and fix my app to run on 2000. I did this years ago on one app to make it run on W95 when all of us were on W2K.

Sorry if you are offended in any way by my reply. But without knowing what the app is, I'm very limited in what I can offer. For example, years ago I would put W2K into Virtual Box for testing. Today, I have no clients on W2K so the office doesn't test for that.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: W2K
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: W2K being forced out

Microsoft end support 5 years after they last sell it, or something like that. But it still works after that.

Other vendors of other programs might decide it isn't worthwhile to put time and money into making or keeping their programs compatible with an OS that hardly anybody still uses. Then it's time to find another program to do what you want to do or another OS. Totally your own choice here.
No need to blame MS for anything.

Kees

Collapse -
W2K for 10
by grayscot / February 26, 2012 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: W2K

So I suppose blame for such rapid obsolescence falls on those who feel they have to have the "newest" the market supplies. Or maybe it's the FTC for not preventing the practice of manufacturers from supplying or OS makers from forcing them via discounts and other pressure to equip boxes with a particular OS so that consumers are forced to upgrade, speeding up the process and forcing everyone to continue to "rent" the products they have paid for. Naturally, programmers and software producers can't be expected to sympathize with any slowing of the cycles, but as a society, we might look at the costs.

Collapse -
So the FTC should limit me in writing apps for new things?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: W2K for 10

-> Back to my work in programming. It came about in self defense since at times I could not find an app for what I needed.

As time progressed you find most can only use the machine.

But your point about society is very simple. If folk learned to repair their own cars, they would have less to complain about the repair bills.

Same for this PC. If you wrote the app, you would be able to fix the issue.

NEW QUESTION. Ever consider open source OS and Applications?
Bob

Collapse -
Response to Profitt
by grayscot / February 26, 2012 5:32 PM PST

I said the FTC should limit the OS makers from leveraging their power to manipullate the turnover in OSs. If you can write apps or patches to get around these problems, more power to you. You're not a threat the FTC has any business worrying about.

As for car mechanics or learning programming or getting into open OSs, it's a bad investment in time and money for me at 80.

Collapse -
I intend to keep learning new programming languages
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: Response to Profitt

Forever.

Besides if you see what's going on now, the PC age is ending (for USERS) and the tablet is what the CONSUMERS are picking up.

But that's off topic.

The market drives the changes, not the companies. Your example of the error is very easy to point back to the author who didn't support YOU.

It's all about YOU.
Bob

Collapse -
Why blame anyone?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 6:35 AM PST

Do you blame car manufacturers for designing and producing new cars every 3 years or so?

Don't forget we are a consumer society and it is us consumers who drive the development of computers and mobiles and tablets and such. We always want faster, more capacity, better graphics.

Sorry but it is progress and while some of us would rather slow that down at times, the majority is against us.

As to your Win 2K system, my own XP is now 10 years old and although I use it much less than I used to since getting a new computer, it still runs fast and smooth, despite there being little to no support for it now.

Mark

Collapse -
Reply to Flax
by grayscot / February 26, 2012 6:16 PM PST
In reply to: Why blame anyone?

Yes, of course. VW had a good run for years at roughly the same model and the last one I bought cost $3,000. And the absolute last car I'm going to buy is a 1990 Suburu Loyale cost $1400 in 2000.

As you can see I'm not a consumer, not into graphics or audio or games, just want a word processor, browser and Zoot. Still use DOS Word 5. I don't mind others pushing the edge for graphics, etc. if that's what they like, I just want my little corner. I bought W2K retail in 2004 because I thought it would last for most of the rest of my lifetime and it was clear that XP had been dumbed down to the toy class no matter what little goodies lay under the hood for you techies. I had hoped the more serious W2K would not be abandoned as quickly as the obvious general consumer item of the moment. So that's progress only for some.

Twenty years back, I had an old manual underwood typewriter handmedown. Only ribbons to buy. Now I have the genuine convenience of Word 5 and Zoot and the impressive research facilities of the net, but it would cost me nearly $500 for a new motherboard, memory, DVD to put in my case and worse yet, an outrageous $50 a month for Internet only cable service. Long before my car gives out, on a fixed income, I'll be forced to turn it all off and go back to a typewriter (if I can find one). The "progress" is illusory if it disappears with forced rising costs to support what are, for me, frills. There ought to be a slower, sustainable track for us less adventurous plodders.

Collapse -
I agree entirely with you
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2012 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: Reply to Flax

All you need is a system that does what you want and of course there is nothing wrong with that.

With care and attention your system could last for as long as you wish, (and I am not suggesting you don't do that anyway), and may be this problem you are experiencing can be sorted out. I don't know Win 2000 at all, my own system at that time was Windows ME which I know is from the same family, but for me that is 12 years or so ago now and I soon moved on to XP, so my knowledge of troubleshooting is minimal.

It seems that this error, "Procedure Entry Point GetModuleHandleExw not located" is related to specific software that is open or running at the time, but it could be any software, as opposed to an OS related problem, so fixes you find in a Google search may not be suitable if the fix offered is for different software to what you are running.

If this were me I would attempt to narrow down the problem by shutting down every application and test each application one at a time. I may have to check the Task Manager to see and identify what Processes are running when this error occurs. There is information about the Windows 2000 Task Manager here;
http://labmice.techtarget.com/troubleshooting/taskmgr.htm

For your information there are still plenty of free software titles available for Win 2000, and a Google search for Win 2000 free software found me this, along others;
http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks. Will check it out
by grayscot / February 27, 2012 1:12 AM PST

I'll do a clean boot but since it comes up with the desktop, my guess is it's the anti-virus which I wouldn't want to change. It's annoying but I can live with it, just concerned it heralds more serious ones. Thanks for your help and putting up with my gripes.

Collapse -
(NT) Linux Works!
by KenHusveg / February 26, 2012 7:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
As a side conversation just try to install W2K on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 2:19 AM PST

A current machine with the usual 1TB SATA HDD.

I'm not sure if it is possible.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to a side conversation
by grayscot / February 27, 2012 6:53 AM PST

Not sure what this is in reference to Bob. If it's my saying that it would cost me $500 to put together a new machine, I'm talking about the motherboard, memory needed to be put in my case together with my floppy and hard drive.and maybe a Blu-ray DVD if I were to replace my socket 478 ASUS p4p800 of 2003.

Or maybe your comment was meant for some other thread.

Collapse -
No. It was for us that used to and do run W2K
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 7:36 AM PST

The install issues may cause some to implode and maybe get very upset. I have yet to see W2K running on current hardware. I've seen it on older IDE drives but these new machines without IDE or IDE emulation plus a lack on a floppy drive and even then means that we really need to keep our old gear running or find something from the usual sources.

Bob

Collapse -
I see.
by grayscot / February 27, 2012 11:39 PM PST

Agreed. Then I can do it for well under $500.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.