Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Problems With Zone Alarm

by jlippincott / March 12, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

I use to use Zone Alarm until last year an update caused problems so I switched to the Sunbelt Keiro Firewall.
Afew days ago that firewall had an update and now my computer has problems so I removed it and gave the trial version of Zone Alarm Pro a try. The program crashed 4 times and after restarting my computer 6 times I finally got it to work properly. I hope it stays that way. If not, I have to go back to the Keiro Firewall.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems With Zone Alarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems With Zone Alarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Zone Alarm Failed Steath and Leak Test
by jlippincott / March 12, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

I went to Shields Up after installing the trial version of Zone Alarm Pro and it failed the Stealth Test (Open Ports: 25(SMTP) 118(POP3) 143(IMAP). It also failed the Leak Test.
When I installed the Sunbelt Keiro Firewall last year it passed both tests. Any comment on this????

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by Damispyderbyte / March 13, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

I just updated, I went to shields up. All ports stealth? I would try reinstalling!

Collapse -
Failed Leak Test May Be Due to Firewall's "Learning Mode"
by Kid A / March 19, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

My ZoneAlarm software has NEVER failed a Stealth Test in all the years I have been using it (since ZoneAlarm 2.0).

Moreover, the only time it failed a Leak Test was when I upgraded to ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7 and opted for the "Learning Mode" during installation. While your firewall is in the Learning Mode, you won't get as many notifications pop-ups - if any. But as ZA's configuration wizard clearly states, this relative "silence" comes at the expense of slightly lower firewall protection. ZoneAlarm's learning period can be anywhere from a week to several weeks, but you can always open ZA's console and change the Internet Security Settings to high.

In any case, ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7 has some major bugs and it wouldn't surprise me if the components shared with ZA Pro might be responsible for some of the issues you have experienced. It might be a good idea to stick to version 6.5 until Zone Labs/CheckPoint releases the next ZA upgrade.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by jaybyrd3 / March 19, 2007 8:55 AM PDT

Since you were trying a trial version meaning it was new and updated, it is likely that you made an error in setting it up. I had problems at first with an older cd version but once I got it set up it ran perfectly...

Collapse -
Went Back To Old Firewall
by jlippincott / March 12, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

Zone Alarm still has the same problems as it did when I stopped using it last year(computer boots up slow,screen saver freezes and the program is using almost 100 percent of the systems resources when the computer is idle).

Collapse -
by jlippincott / March 13, 2007 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Comodo

Thanks for the link!!!! I don't think I ever tried that program before!!!!

Collapse -
Read Some Reviews
by jlippincott / March 13, 2007 4:48 AM PDT

I read some reviews about the program and especially didin't like the one below:
Cons: Sometimes you still have to tell the firewall to let certain application through,even if you already did so previously.I guess that will be fixed with next update.

Collapse -
I Like It
by jlippincott / March 15, 2007 7:31 AM PDT

I installed the Comodo firewall that you recommended and I really love it!!!! Hopefully I will have no problems with it in the future.
I passed both the Port and Leak test at Shields Up.

Collapse -
Comodo is not good
by shanghaijo / April 3, 2007 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I Like It

I've used comodo firewall for more than 2 months on 3 machines and it is far to resources hungry, I never had so many problems with other firewalls:
On the first machine, an old laptop Pentium M 1.2GHz, 128Mb memory with XP (I know, it is low, the machine is 5 years old..), I've tried comodo, the installation itself was impossible, it took 2 hours! Then the restart took something like 1h. At last, I unistalled it, put the free ZA and everything's ok.
On another laptop, 2 years old, I had PC-Cillin 14 but I've read it took too much system resources so changed to NOD32 but then had no firewall, installed Comodo and again my computer became slow.
On the third computer, not laptop, Pentium 4, 2.4GHz, 700Mb memory, same PC-Cillin thing, I've installed Comodo Firewall, then again, computer slow, I thought my machine had too many craps but then, I just turned the firewall off and it became as fast as before.

So, from now on, Comodo is blacklisted on my computers, even for the one I don't install a lot (used for chatting for my wife only), the computer ran too slow.
Not a good choice, even it passes the leak tests...

Collapse -
problems with using established accounts on-line with zoneal
by starbird777 / March 19, 2007 2:23 AM PDT

I recently purchased Zone Alarm Pro. After starting to use it, I found that about half of my online accounts would not work properly, preventing me from purchasing supplies from long established accounts. Today, after reading the problems with zone alarm, I downloaded Comodo. I immediately went to the websites that I haven't been able to use and low and behold! They all work perfectly! Zone Alarm had been preventing the sites from working properly with my computer. Thanks for the heads up!

Collapse -
Zone Alarm.
by Me Hertsey / March 18, 2007 7:00 PM PDT

I have used ZoneAlarm pro for at least seven years. Through Win 98 to XP professional. During that I have experienced very few problems. Is it possible that it is conflicting with another program?

Collapse -
Zone alarm
by tanker12uk / March 18, 2007 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm.

I have also been using Zone alarm for years but the free version and I have had a few problems with it in the past but never anything serious it passes all the tests and touch wood I have not had any access or intrusion problems whilst using it'
it is a little slow on loading at times on start up but apart from that its ok so maybe it is a conflict issue try a clean instal rather than an upgrade that is what I did to cure my problem with it

Collapse -
Zone Alarm (Free Version)
by Stryker53 / March 19, 2007 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Zone alarm

I have used the free version for for about four years now and have had very few problems/issues with it. It has worked well for me.

Collapse -
Problems With Zone Alarm
by todd-ao / March 18, 2007 11:01 PM PDT

After a trial period with Bullguard I wanted to install ZoneAlarm - tried 2 times but could not make it function, perhaps because I use Gmail. I then turned to McAfee firewall free edition - it worked right from the start and together with AVG antivirus there has been no problems since January 07.

Collapse -
by sdstern / March 18, 2007 11:32 PM PDT

I had problems as well. I used ZA for a while, a licensed version, and all was going fine, but all of a sudden it had problems updating. I uninstalled, reinstalled and tried to contact tech support, all to no avail. I did look about ZA forums and found others with similar problems, not many, but some. As these issues so frequently take more time that the program's worth, I chalked it all up to the vagaries of computers and poor customer service, which to me equals: Don't deal with the vendor anymore. For the record, I no longer use a software firewall (the router seems to do the trick, according to Shields Up) and Kapersky for the rest of the protection.

Collapse -
A few things to remember.
by hawk318 / March 19, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

Although Zone Alarm is the 2nd best AV/Firewall on the market, remember a few things.
If you have problems, contact them and give them a chance. I'm not sure how bad their tech support is, but if no one takes the time to try to solve the problem, they will never know.

Never mix software that do the same thing (like 2 AV PGM's)in the auto mode.

Make sure you read any warnings or notes when you run any scans... Some malware prigrams have been known to remove parts of AV/Firewall software (this is true of some of the lesser effective malware and AV pgm's.)

You get what you pay (or don't pay) for..... I've been using Norton NIS for years (at least 8)and never have had a virus. True their tech support is so-so and the site is HUGE, but it's the best out there and while I've never had any viruses, I know many that run McAfee, AVG, et'al, that have been plagued off and on for years..... BTW, I wouldn't give you a plug nickle for any of Symantecs other crap.

When you run malware PPM's do so in manual and look at the area that says what is being removed......

And one last hint..... DO NOT RUN CLEAN-UP TOOLS!!! I did a comparison check a while back on several of these so called 'Clean up tools (or utilities)..... Every one of the top 4 utilities removed either critical OS files or removed files from Norton and ZoneAlarm
(as well as Music Match, Roxio's EZ DVD Creator and other major pgm's)

Watch what is being removed no matter what you are running and if there is any doubt or you are kind of leery of a suspicious 'Process', spring the few bucks for a little program called "Winpatrol". The paid version allows you to go to the web site and look any process you find running and it tells you if it's safe to remove it or not, what it is and does...... At least this program works Wink

And lastly for gods sake...... Don't click on any of these pop-ups you find while surfing..... Especially the ones that pop-up and say "WARNING: Your system is or may be under attack" Or unsecure....
If you do ...IT WILL BE Wink

Collapse -
For those with some computer experiance - Outpost Firewall
by slappie / March 19, 2007 1:23 AM PDT

Zone alarm is the only reason I have ever had to use system restore. Twice now I have been stuck with a partial install/uninstall and could not access the internet on standard ports.

For those people with some computer experience, I would recommend outpost firewall over all others.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Pro passes......
by jdschell / March 19, 2007 1:23 AM PDT

I use the latest version of Zone Alarm Pro and had never heard of the Shields Up tests until reading this forum. My system passes all of their tests with a Total Stealth rating. No problems here and very happy with Zone Alarm Pro. I switched from Norton which I hated!

Collapse -
zone alarm
by steve.c / March 19, 2007 1:45 AM PDT

I can only agree with post 16. I have used zone alarm for many years and have used the the leak test many times to keep an eye on things, as yet it has always proven to be a safe and have no leaks. I would say very often many people are not watching the settings and expect the software to everything for them. Too easy to fall in the trap of being complacent.set n keep checking , dont set n forget as many people think they can .

Collapse -
Easy set up maintenance and maintenance
by tech_no_man / March 19, 2007 2:56 AM PDT

Agree with 16 and 17
I have used Grisoft AVG for years, even while I was connected through the telephone. Never had a problem with it. No glitch, nothing, not even a hiccup. People have to watch how they are installing any software. Matter of fact I DO NOT let it use the default location to install. I actually try to use my second drive to install the software. Two reasons:
1. I install at the root of second drives directory.
2. For good reason if I have to delete from the directory directly, I know where it is located and can see it.

My sister just installed Grisoft AVG on her brand new home built computer (she actually built it her self, no special knowledge), WindowsXP operating system. She not had a problem yet.

What most people want is software to be automatic and that my friend means BLOATWARE. Sure it can be done all for a person, but the programming that goes into it!!!!

Nuff said

Below is the Gibson Research Labs URL's for software and the SheildsUP and the Sheildsup Leaktest:

Gibson Research Corporation Software Page (for the most part free)

SheildsUP Leaktest:

Collapse -
Zone Alarm vs Kerio
by mpasco / March 19, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

I decided to try Kerio Personal Firewall nee Zone Alarm, which I had been using for a LONG time.

I uninstalled ZA and installed Kerio. Kerio worked as advertized until I rebooted. The computer rebooted with Kerio not in the taskbar nor in the Windows Task Manager Processes, so I assumed it was not running.

Kerio's tech support suggested that I place the Kerio icon in the startup folder. That worked for a day or two, and then back to the original problem.

I cannot take a chance on not having a firewall operating. Zone Alarms has done an admirable job for me for many years, so I uninstalled Kerio and re-installed ZA.

I relayed this information to Kerio Tech Support and asked for a full refund of the product charge and 3 year tech support charge. That was several days ago and I have yet to hear from Kerio on the matter.

So much for their product reliability AND their tech support.

Collapse -
A Question of Not Enough Resources?
by Kid A / March 19, 2007 6:41 AM PDT

Two firewalls, and you encountered problems with both.

And judging by your description of the issues with ZA, it sounds as if you don't have enough memory in your computer for all of the programs and processes you normally run. Spyware is a possibility, too.

Of course, without specific information about your computer (CPU, memory) and what you are doing when you encounter the issues, it's hard to pinpoint a culprit. But something tells me you will run into the same "issues" with your new firewall, too...

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm Problem
by himm66 / March 19, 2007 9:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Firewall Settings
by fliptail / March 19, 2007 11:46 AM PDT

Regardless of what firewall one is using it is only as good as the person setting it up. For one, if you want to secure your computer you certainly do not do it by auto. Learn the firewall and set it up according to instructions, not by selecting the auto everything. Learn what the pop-ups mean.
As usual I find that most people just download and install a firewall and seem to forget that you also must uninstall the one you are currently using or you will create conflicts. If you are using XPPro you must disable the XP firewall or there will be conflicts. I am not pushing Zone Alarm as I feel the user should utilize the one they are most comfortable with as long as the firewall provides adequate security.
Most problems users have with Zone Alarm is in the set up mainly because no one reads instructions any more and feel the program should just auto set up. Well that would be impossible for a firewall because it has to learn your allowed programs and protect you from malware and threats. Remember this your Window Operating System is suppose to close any port a program is using when you close the program. Unless you set rules within the firewall it does not know to close the port because you allowed the program. Also there are certain TCP and UDP ports that one should always list in the rules as blocked. Learn how to use a firewall and it will protect you from about anything they can throw at you without causing any crashes or problems.
The main item to always look at is conflicts specially if for some inane reason you choose to run 2, 3, 4 or even 5 different firewalls aqnd you need to watch AV's as they are now including firewalls in the AV suites which will cause conflicts.

Collapse -
RE: Zone Alarm
by iwish40 / March 19, 2007 2:09 PM PDT

I have never had a Problem with Zone Alarm, I used the Free ZA untill I was ready to upgrade to ZA Pro and I've been using ZA Pro for 5 yrs.
I never had an update problem or upgrade problem.
Since you having problems, I suggest you do an uninstall, clean up your computer then reinstall, if your still having problems with it, then contact customer support. It might be your computer thats the problem, not Zone Alarm.

Collapse -
It Was The Update
by jlippincott / March 19, 2007 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Zone Alarm

I was using Zone Alarm Pro for over 10 years until last year when an update screwed up my computer. My other people had the same problem and all that tech support told us to do was go to the free version. Why would I want to do that???? I paid for the Pro version and they tell me to use the FREE one?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.