Windows 7 forum

Question

Problems with Upgrading from Vista Home premium to windows 7

by halflife1010 / March 11, 2012 7:42 AM PDT

Having used the Microsoft upgrade advisor, I bought a download of Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I created the ISO disk as advised and started the installation. The installation seems to go fine until the end when I get the message that upgrade was unsuccessful and Vista is being restored. No other message is given. Antivirus (Kaspersky) is turned off for the install. Its starting to drive me mad.....Any suggestions/ thoughts? Cheers

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Upgrading from Vista Home premium to windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Upgrading from Vista Home premium to windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 7:49 AM PDT

This is Vista 32 to 7 32 bit?

And just for sharing, I find myself uninstalling antivirus and firewalls prior to the upgrade.

Next time tell the make and model. Some will never make this change so let's check the machine the old fashioned way.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: upgrading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 7:55 AM PDT

It should work, yes But if it doesn't do a clean install from that disk. You'll have to reinstall all your applications, that's the only disadvantage.
You did already made a backup, of course?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
by halflife1010 / March 12, 2012 5:30 AM PDT

Hi Bob

Yes its vista 32 bit to windows 7 32 bit.

Been round the houses with this one. Microsoft knowledge base was no help what so ever. Is it possible that the upgrade thinks that my Vista is not a pucker version. It is by the way.

Machine is Intel core 2 duo core E8400 @3.0GHz, 2.0Gig RAM (Cyberpower (UK))

Cheers

Collapse -
Answer
by halflife1010 / March 12, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

Is has a 300Gig hard drive too. Sorry but I forgot to put that on the last post

Cheers

Collapse -
All I can suggest
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2012 9:42 PM PDT

other than a complete new install, is to first scan the Vista system with a couple of anti-malware scanners like the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

See if they turn up anything.

Is anything mentioned in the Event Viewer? I wouldn't have thought so on an upgrade, but there might be a clue.

Also, there may be logs about the upgrade that could indicate why the upgrade failed. The Microsoft link below explains a similar, but not identical, situation where upgrading fails;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975253

See if you have logs of the upgrade.

Mark

Collapse -
probs with upgrading vista to wndows 7
by halflife1010 / March 13, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: All I can suggest

Hi Mark

Followed that link and tried the path it suggested. No joy at finding the log. I tried event viewer and in "window logs: Application" I found an "Error" associated with "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\PANTHER> in the hash map could not be updated."

"A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001F)"

Error was generated about the time the upgrade failed and Vista was restored. There are additional errors associated with the path C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\.........but still the same 0x8007001F error code.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Tony

Collapse -
That might be a good clue.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 13, 2012 6:43 AM PDT

Does that BT relate to the UKs BT, British Telecom?

If so, (or even if not), do you have anything installed on the system that looks like it is BT or British Telecom?

Mark

Collapse -
probs with upgrading vista to wndows 7
by halflife1010 / March 21, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

Guys

Just to let you know I gave up with the upgrade route and went for a clean install. Worked no problem.

Thanks

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2012 6:21 AM PDT

And a clean install at least gives you a fresh, fast, OS to work with.

It would have been nice to know more about that BT entry, but that's fine and good work.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.