Windows 7 forum

General discussion

problems with the dvd-rom in windows 7

by rupertCH / February 1, 2013 11:40 PM PST

hi! I'm having some problems with the dvd-rom in my pc with win 7; everytime I insert a dvd it doesn't read it, xp is also installed in another partition and the dvd-rom works fine in it. The dvd-rom is a lite-on ihap122 9, the computer is an amd athlon 64 x2 dual core on a asrock alive nf6g-vsta mobo, I've been looking for a driver, but so far I haven't found one. in case it isn't clear; the dvd-rom doesn't work on windows 7 but in win xp it works with no problems at all in the same computer. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems with the dvd-rom in windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems with the dvd-rom in windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be proper. For example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 12:56 AM PST

If I created a DVD-R with some drag to media app in XP that DVD-R might not be readable in other OSes until I install the drag to media app.

It's possible there are other issues with the drive and since there are no drivers for such things you never look for those. You might check for newer drive firmware AFTER you try another data DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
not sure I understand your answer xD
by rupertCH / February 2, 2013 1:24 AM PST

the dvd drive works in xp, I installed win 7 from xp, since I couldn't do it setting the boot from the dvd drive, I wanted to test win 7 and see how it runs on my computer, but then I found that the dvd drive doesn't work properly, for example, I can play a dvd movie in win xp just fine, with no issues at all, but then I try to play the same movie in win 7, and despite the dvd drive is shown, it just doesn't work. I started to look for a driver for win 7, with no luck just so far, it seems there's no such driver.

Collapse -
Again, that could be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 1:30 AM PST

I noted where a Data DVD would not work. A Video DVD won't work in most versions of 7 until we install DVD player software.

Try this one -> VLC PLAYER.

And please, stop looking for CD/DVD drivers folk. You can't imagine how many lose time on that one. Bob

Collapse -
I've already stopped looking
by rupertCH / February 2, 2013 2:57 AM PST

I have installed corel windvd, as well as the k-lite codec pack, so I think that is not the problem..I've already updated the firmware (6loh as found on the lite-on site) The problem is not only when trying to play a dvd movie but accessing any other data...

Collapse -
Then the next usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 3:15 AM PST

Try a boot to safe mode and remove all CD/DVD drives in device manager so Windows can re-enumerate the devices. It could be an old drive that is just not playing along so be sure to try another drive as these can cause a lot of lost time.

I can't tell if you installed this PC's Windows 7 motherboard drivers but that's coming up next after test with the safe mode and other drives.
Bob

Collapse -
Forgot this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 3:16 AM PST

There was a problem with older Corel DVD software. It would create a non-responsive drive. This last post is the first time you revealed what is different from the stock install. Since to install Windows 7 we use the DVD that seems to tell me that it's possible you broke the OS later with old software titles.
Bob

Collapse -
old software titles?.
by rupertCH / February 2, 2013 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot this.

I installed corel windvd pro 11, which I'm told is the latest version..I will try to boot to safe mode, remove the drive and see if it works..hope so.. Grin

Collapse -
The other issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: old software titles?.

Is that clues are being slowly given. In the top post I don't see what type of DVD was giving trouble so I offered how I can create this issue with a DATA DVD. Later a Video DVD is noted and so I add how to play that on a stock install. Now we see Corel but no version. In this new post, the version is revealed.

Sorry but not telling enough up front means we've done this many posts and barely moved forward.

Is there more?
Bob

Collapse -
Many of those Corel titles are demos.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: old software titles?.

And they do shut down after the trial period taking the drive with them. VLC PLAYER is not a trail product.

Collapse -
sorry about that..
by rupertCH / February 2, 2013 10:00 AM PST

let' see, I will resume all of the information we have so far, and I'll also try to add any detail I didn't mention before. I recently installed win 7 on a machine, an amd athlon 64 x2 2.6 5200+ dual core on an asrock alive nf6g-vsta mobo, I'd installed xp on the same machine previously, now both, win 7 and win xp run in the same machine in different partitions. After running win 7 I noted the dvd drive, a lite-on ihap122, doesn't work correctly (it runs well on win xp) it doesn't read any dvd disc no matter what data(video, music, software) it's in it, I haven't tried with a cd, but now I will. I updated the firmware, to the latest version I found on the lite-on site. I installed the latest version of corel windvd, full version. I also tried removing the device from the device manager, and then reinstall it again, it didn't work. note: I did this but not the way you're saying; in safe mode. I just opened the device manager and removed it, I'll try in safe mode and see what happens. Well I think that's it..hope this help..thanks..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.