Laptops forum

General discussion

Problems with S series SONY VAIO Motherboards

by RobtC / March 5, 2007 10:55 PM PST

For those of you with SONY S Series VAIO laptops - a warning. I bought an VGN-S260 in early 2005 and registered the laptop with SONY as suggested. In late 2005 SONY released a memo stating that some S Series VAIO laptops had a motherboard problem that would cause failure of the laptop to boot and reboot after hibernation. I was NEVER notified about this problem, in spite of the fact that SONY has my email and mailing address. Recently I began to experience the problems described in the SONY memo. I called SONY tech support and that's when I found out about this issue. I was also told that because my warranty expired two months ago I would have to pay over $700 to get the motherboard replaced. I think this is OUTRAGEOUS! SONY knew about this problem and purposely failed to warn owners or recall the defective devices. My confidence in the reliability of SONY products and the integrity of SONY as a company has been undermined 100%, and I will never buy a SONY product again. I spent over $2500 for this laptop after doing a lot of research about what to buy, and now after only TWO years I am told a major repair is needed because of a manufacturing defect. This is totally unacceptable. BE WARNED!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with S series SONY VAIO Motherboards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with S series SONY VAIO Motherboards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firm, never get upset when dealing with such an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 11:03 PM PST

Once you lose your cool, they seem to write you off. But if you're armed with the memo sometimes you can make your case in writing (forget emails, phone calls) and it gets fixed.

Also explore if extending the warranty is possible. While you may loathe the idea it can be the cheap exit.

Collapse -
by RobtC / March 5, 2007 11:23 PM PST

Thanks for the advice. That's helpful. I do intend to pursue this through a letter. ROB

Collapse -
Maybe I can help
by William Hardin / March 8, 2007 10:57 AM PST

If you would provide me the serial number from the bottom of the computer, and your email address.

Collapse -
OK here is serial no
by RobtC / March 8, 2007 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe I can help

Thanks, William. Here is the information.
Serial no: 28189630-3237420

Collapse -
If that offer of assistance is an open one...
by Jaibones / February 24, 2012 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe I can help

... I could use some help. Bought a Sony Vaio for my daughter 14 months ago. Three weeks ago it decided not to start. Sony techs are telling me the motherboard is fried and they want $500 to look at it. My IT guy at work confirms - motherboard fried.

S/N 27532133 3058427
Purchase date 12/15/2010 (Best Buy)
Manuf. Date 10/2010

Collapse -
Hi, Do you have any update information on this issue?
by lyyvivi / March 16, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

Hi, My viao VGN-S260 also have similar problem with booting or rebooting. Everytime I have to press the power button at least five times to get the system startup. Often, when I try to boot up the laptop, the green power light and the wireless light is on, but nothing happens on the screen. I'm just worried that maybe some day in the future it will never boot up even after so many tries.

Collapse -
Yes, recent developments
by RobtC / March 16, 2007 2:17 PM PDT

Hi, well yes, there is an update to all this. After many discussions with SONY and checking out some other repair options, SONY finally came back and offered to repair my laptop for $240 plus shipping. Since this was significantly less than the $700 originally quoted to me, I decided to get ready to ship my laptop out to San Diego to get this fixed. BUT, in the meantime, suddenly the problem seemed to go away. Now when I hold the power button down long enough for the disk drive yellow light to come on (front panel), the laptop boots normally. I don't know whether this is an indication of an intermittent problem or what, and I'm now in the process of contacting SONY again to find out whether I should wait before shipping the laptop out to them. Not sure what's going on yet. Ask me again in a week or so and maybe I'll know more. ROB

Collapse -
I may be of some help
by William Hardin / March 19, 2007 2:13 PM PDT

If you would please provide me the serial number of the computer and a verifiable purchase date, I may be able to help.

Collapse -
Here are the information
by lyyvivi / March 20, 2007 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I may be of some help

The serial number is 28189630-3222481. I purchased this computer on Dec.17th 2005. I bought the warrenty in CircuitCity when I purchased the laptop. But I've checked with them and found out that my warrenty just expired three months ago. The $700 of repairing fee is certainly a huge amount for me.
Thanks agian for your help!

Collapse -
S Series Notebook
by William Hardin / March 20, 2007 3:34 PM PDT

Could you provide me a direct email account, that I may send you additional information.

Collapse -
Repost with spamproofed email.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: S Series Notebook

My email address is y u e y i n g l i u AT g m a i l DOT c o m
Thanks for your help"

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Collapse -
S Series...
by ikenfixit / March 21, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

These have issues ranging from Screens to BGA RAM..And CPU socket release/BGA due to board warpage.. Theyre a pile and I'd say dump it if its working.. "Period". Sony will not help when the warranty expires ad theyre garbage as far as were concerned.

Collapse -
S Series Notebook
by William Hardin / April 5, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

You should have received a sepearte email, concerning this directly to your email account. Did you receive it?

Collapse -
Sony V260
by ronmckim / April 13, 2007 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: S Series Notebook

I've lost faith in Sony! I've owned my VIO for 2 1/2 years and loved it until I had a problem with the mother board. In the course of trying to get answers, I had many conversations with Sony's Technical Support and Customer Service. All I wanted was for Sony to stand behind a know defective issue with the S series mother boards. Like others I was not notified by Sony, even though I registered my VIO, about this problem. I was advised by Technical Support to send my computer in with a letter pleading my case for repair; which I did. I felt positive in my conversation with the Tech Rep. that Sony would do the right thing and stand behind their product that had a know defective part. Today I was notified that the issue is in fact the mother board and it would cost approx. $700 to repair. I was again advised that if I didn't agree with this that I needed to write the Executive Review Board at Sony and make my case for why they should cover the repair . HELP!!!!! I don't understand why I have to keep begging to have this issue fixed by Sony. Any advise that you could give me would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Help with your VAIO
by William Hardin / April 17, 2007 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony V260

I think you need a reality check on this one. If you read the Sony web site it clearly states the problem was noted on some models. Now since you used your computer for 2 and a half years, one well past the original one year warranty, and six months past the one year extension offered to those who experienced the problem within the first two years. Wouldn't you think at this point you exceeded the norm and did not have a problem at all. To say anything is a known issue is just words. Any time anyone has a failure we could say it's a known issue. So the next time your hard drive fails after 5 years of use, why don't you call the hard drive manufacturer and claim KNOWN ISSUE I'm sure they will respond. By the way what is the serial number of your unit?

Collapse -
by pcrain / April 26, 2007 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Help with your VAIO

I'm having the same issues with my T-Series Motherboard.

Whenever I budge my laptop it freezes up. Seems to be a common problem with the motherboard. William could you be of assistance with this? If so here is my email addy: p c r a i n [at-nospam] g m a i l . c o m

Thank you in advance,

Collapse -
I had the same problem and when we took it to
by orlbuckeye / May 3, 2007 8:46 PM PDT

a laptop store to look at it they said the motherboard and processor were fried and 1200 to fix. We ended up just getting a HP DV2000t. Now I just have to get the data off the hard drive. Do they sell external hard drive cases that fit a laptop hard drive?

Collapse -
Dead s260 and frustrated
by jpaolantonio / October 17, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

I see that you have been the only voice of reason about this recall and I cannot tell you how many hours I have wasted with Tech support, customer care and national care about getting my s260 mother board replaced. Not a single person is willing to see it from my point of view that i was not notified of this defective issue and didnt get my board replaced in the supplied timeframe given. I actually had a supervisor ask me to send in my laptop which I did and now they want $700 to fix the motherbaord that Sony admits was faulty.
I know it is beyond the timeframe allotted although my machine has been a doorstop for the last 11 months and now I take the time to look into why it is dead and I cant get Sony to take responsibility for its defective part. This is not like a regular warranty issue as this is supposedly a STATED and ADVERTISED defect that should have been replaced.

Please help!

Collapse -
I have VGN-S260 with a cracked screen and the power button i
by WiKDMoNKY / March 21, 2007 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I may be of some help

Can you help?

Serial #28189630 3210772
Service Tag # J000C3G6

Thanks in advance!!!

Collapse -
I have VGN-S260 with a cracked screen and the power button

I beleive I can, what kind of help do you require? The power problem can be addressed fairly easily. The cracked LCD is the harder one and the most costly portion.

Collapse -
I have a VGN-SZ110 at Sony with the same problem
by visualspace / April 5, 2007 7:26 AM PDT

I am hoping you might be able to help me get this fixed. My bus. partner purchased the laptop on 07/11/2006 online. He doesn't remember which store he ordered it from, and I have not been able to find a receipt yet. When I called Sony they told me that it was covered, I guess because I had registered it when it arrived, but now they tell me that they have to replace the motherboard and that I have to pay $600 unless I can provide additional proof of purchase with a registered dealer name or dealer stamp. I don't understand how they cannot keep track of warranty status on their own, and simply acknowledge that my laptop is still covered.

If there is anything you can do to help, I would appreciate it. My serial no. 3010315 and my email address is: r o b e r t AT v i s u a l s p a c e DOT com

Collapse -
Note book help
by William Hardin / April 6, 2007 8:36 AM PDT

Can yo answer me a couple of questions?
Where is the unit currently located?
How do you know the motherboard is defective.

Collapse -
I called Sony and they had me send it in
by visualspace / April 9, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Note book help

When I called they told me that it would be covered under warranty, but apparently that was only true if I included all of the necessary paperwork. So now Sony has the laptop and would like my permission to charge my credit card $699 to replace a broken motherboard. If I had know they were going to pull a laptop/warranty bait & switch, I would never have sent it in. Now I am stuck trying to prove to them I have a warranty or shell out $699 for them to repair what they know to be a defective motherboard.

Collapse -
Check out my postings above
by RobtC / April 9, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

You are getting the same runaround I did at first. However, after complaining to SONY several times, and being a bit of a pain, I finally got an offer to fix my motherboard for $249 plus shipping (see my postings above). I am in the process of shipping my laptop to them now. They also had quoted me the $699 price when I first complained. RobtC

Collapse -
I need more information
by William Hardin / April 9, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

There is nothing in your email and no reply to my request for more information. I can't help you if you tell me nothing. The serial number is not enough.

Collapse -
What else can I give you?
by visualspace / April 9, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

Please let me know what else I can provide you? The work order with Sony is w8902473, and I don't know exactly where it is, other than we sent it to them using a box they sent us to have the unit repaired. Does that help? Is there anything else I can do or that you recommend, I am going to call them again today to see what other progress we can make.

Collapse -
That helps
by William Hardin / April 9, 2007 2:48 AM PDT

The information was enough Thanks

Collapse -
Any updates?
by visualspace / April 10, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: That helps

I got an email message from them yesterday and they are still trying to get out of honoring any warranty. Were you able to get any information that might help to get the problem resolved?

I don't understand why they would not want to do more to keep their customers. In my company the CEO decided to switch from Dell laptops to Sony Vaios because he felt the Vaio was a better product. Now that we cannot get any decent service on the Vaios, he is thinking of switching all laptops back to Dells.

Collapse -
Notebook repair
by William Hardin / April 10, 2007 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Any updates?

I am currently looking into this, it could be a couple of days before any or if any changes are made.

Collapse -
William, what should I do next?
by visualspace / April 18, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Note book help

Hi William,

I am hoping you have some info for me, I need to do something with this laptop. Sony keeps calling me asking me to pay $699 to get it fixed. Have you found anything out? If you need to reach me via email, I gave you the wrong address before, please use this one: r o b e r t AT v i s u a l s o f t s p a c e DOT com

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.